AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Nov 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #811 of 2,514
Can you tell me how you contacted them

I'd like to see if a replacement USB cap is available for my lost one.

Thanks!
~BG

Just so you guys know, I've contacted AudioQuest, asking if a repair is possible to my unit, and the answer is no. So, don't break your DragonFly because they will not even try to repair it. I'm sure mine has only a problem with the jack socket, but they did not ask, so it's obvious they don't provide any repairing services.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #812 of 2,514
I asked about a replacement cap months ago and they did not get back to me. Luckily I found where the cat had swatted it...

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #813 of 2,514
Quote:
Just so you guys know, I've contacted AudioQuest, asking if a repair is possible to my unit, and the answer is no. So, don't break your DragonFly because they will not even try to repair it. I'm sure mine has only a problem with the jack socket, but they did not ask, so it's obvious they don't provide any repairing services.

Here is a little repair for you. It will cost $45.

Might not look as nice but it should sound very similar. I got one today myself. Very nice on the sound. Ebay is your repair my friend.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #814 of 2,514
Unfortunately, it was the person I purchased from's cat that swatted it away.
blink.gif

Maybe someone who reads this and has a broken Dragonfly would be willing to sell a cap.

Quote:
I asked about a replacement cap months ago and they did not get back to me. Luckily I found where the cat had swatted it...

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #815 of 2,514
I heard a rumor about that recently....  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #816 of 2,514
In the December Stereophile, the DragonFly was awarded 1) Best Budget Component of the Year (p75) and 2) Computer Audio Component of the Year (p73).  They seem to really like it.
Quote: "The fact is, the $250 AudioQuest DragonFly sounds at least as good as my $900 [Wavelength Proton] reference converter."

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #818 of 2,514
Quote:

Might not look as nice but it should sound very similar. I got one today myself. Very nice on the sound. Ebay is your repair my friend.

I've never heard this inexpensive DAC so I can't say it doesn't sound similar to the DragonFly ... but other than sharing the same ESS 9023 DAC chip, the implementation of this DAC vs the DragonFly appears to be much different ...

The DragonFly has:
- Asynchronous USB
- 5 regulated power supplies
- Separate discrete onboard clocks for the different sample rates
- Separate headphone amp with 64-step analog volume control
- Support for up to 24/96 (including 24/88 which the Tenor chip is this doesn't)
- Sample rate indicator
- Silver-plated contacts

But the prices are also vastly different, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #819 of 2,514
Quote:

Quote:

Wow, with customer service like this, I wont ever be being products from this company.
I know these are available at BB in the US and you can get an accidental plan for it in the US

@Sergiu - Sorry, to hear your plight. Hope you find a way of repairing it!

Luckily I bought the Audioengine amp. and it has taken considerable amount of abuse, to the point of my kid pulling it out from the usb & then flinging it into the air before a well deserved dive catch from me.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #820 of 2,514
Quote:
Wow, with customer service like this, I wont ever be being products from this company.
I know these are available at BB in the US and you can get an accidental plan for it in the US

@Sergiu - Sorry, to hear your plight. Hope you find a way of repairing it!

Luckily I bought the Audioengine amp. and it has taken considerable amount of abuse, to the point of my kid pulling it out from the usb & then flinging it into the air before a well deserved dive catch from me.

It would probably cost more to repair it than a new one, given the manual labor required. 

Sergiu, buy yourself one of these which would likely lessen the possibility of damage:
http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Extension-Cable-A-Male-A-Female/dp/B002KNI796
AudioQuest has their own version called the DragonTail coming out soon as well.

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #823 of 2,514
Makes you wonder how small they will get by 2014...
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #824 of 2,514
Quote:
Can you tell me how you contacted them
I'd like to see if a replacement USB cap is available for my lost one.
Thanks!
~BG

I used one of the email addresses on their contact page: http://www.audioquest.com/contact/

Quote:

I'll actually get it repaired somehow, I'm sure it's just the headphone socket because there's nothing else that can be broken, everything else is integrated on the board.

I was also thinking about trying the DacPort as it looks a bit more durable. Haven't decided yet though.

Nov 30, 2012 at 6:24 AM Post #825 of 2,514
By the way, if you have a Mac with a wired Apple keyboard, it fits neatly into the built-in USB sockets on them. That's a bit safer location to plug it in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back