AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 24, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #692 of 2,514
Echoing the above question. I wonder if there's a mini->usb cable small enough that you could lay the Dragonfly along the back of a phone for a super low-profile DAC / amp + phone combo. While it lacks the controls of a traditional DAC / amp like the E17 or somesuch, I'm sure Android has apps that provide good mixing / EQ options if needed.

Any comparisons of the DF's amp performance?

Sep 24, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #693 of 2,514
I still don't get HOW it uses the computer's volume control to control an analog volume control. I'm pretty ignorant here, so please, can someone explain?

It looks pretty nice!

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #694 of 2,514
I don't know how to differentiate the sound signature of the dac and amp (I have O2/ODAC combo and Dragon Fly that drive my Mad Dog)
But here's what I can say. The DF is an amazing amp/dac. It drives my Sen HD650 at 30% of windows volume and drive my Mad Dog at 50% of windows volume. (100% volume in foobar)
I enjoy the sound from the DF to my 2 cans much more than the O2/ODAC because of it brings out the musical that I can stay back and enjoy listening, while O2/ODAC is so much analytical that I have my focus on the sounds rather than the music. However, I notice the O2/ODAC have smoother high, and bass goes very deep.
The Dragon Fly is a great amp/dac.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #695 of 2,514
How do you remove the dragon fly amp/dac from the laptop?
I dont see the options of unplug it.
I would like to maximize the life span of this little baby.

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #696 of 2,514
You grab it with your fingers and pull it out

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #698 of 2,514
Quote:
How do you remove the dragon fly amp/dac from the laptop?
I dont see the options of unplug it.
I would like to maximize the life span of this little baby.

As far as I know there's nothing you have to do with the OS before removing the DragonFly. 
You don't have to "Eject" the Dragonfly like you normally would do with a USB flash drive.
Just carefully pull it straight out and you should be good!

Sep 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #699 of 2,514
Thanks for the info re the D7000's.
A couple more questions; I will need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the DF, are there any sonic differences between the cheap brands and something like the Grado?
Alsocould there be any advantage to geting a USB 3.0 extension cable vs. a USB 2.0? They're only a couple of bucks more.....

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #700 of 2,514
Quote:
Thanks for the info re the D7000's.
A couple more questions; I will need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for the DF, are there any sonic differences between the cheap brands and something like the Grado?
Alsocould there be any advantage to geting a USB 3.0 extension cable vs. a USB 2.0? They're only a couple of bucks more.....

I don't know about sonic benefits but with the Dragonfly I'd think you would want to get something like the Grado where the 1/4" is on a cable away from the 1/8" jack. Using one of the single piece ones would probably weigh the DF down quite a bit.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #701 of 2,514
Quote:
I don't know how to differentiate the sound signature of the dac and amp (I have O2/ODAC combo and Dragon Fly that drive my Mad Dog)
But here's what I can say. The DF is an amazing amp/dac. It drives my Sen HD650 at 30% of windows volume and drive my Mad Dog at 50% of windows volume. (100% volume in foobar)
I enjoy the sound from the DF to my 2 cans much more than the O2/ODAC because of it brings out the musical that I can stay back and enjoy listening, while O2/ODAC is so much analytical that I have my focus on the sounds rather than the music. However, I notice the O2/ODAC have smoother high, and bass goes very deep.
The Dragon Fly is a great amp/dac.

Try the DF -> O2 -> Mad Dog.  I absolutely loved it with my Thunderpants, just find the DF amp out to be a tad underdriven for the task compared to the O2.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #702 of 2,514
Listening to the Dragonfly straight out to the ATH-W3000ANV's, it sounds pretty darn good.

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #703 of 2,514
Quote:

I don't know about sonic benefits but with the Dragonfly I'd think you would want to get something like the Grado where the 1/4" is on a cable away from the 1/8" jack. Using one of the single piece ones would probably weigh the DF down quite a bit.

Thanks, II was looking at the Grado but it doesn't seem to be available here in the GWN (Canada).....

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #704 of 2,514
Thanks, II was looking at the Grado but it doesn't seem to be available here in the GWN (Canada).....

Where in Canada are you located?

Sep 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #705 of 2,514
Got mine at Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto.  Any place that sells Grado headphones should stock them. There's alway eBay.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back