AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 19, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #661 of 2,514
Doh! I was looking in the sac/amp section.  Anyway, my experiences with them have been great.  I'll probably get the LCD2 from them when I'm ready.
Quote:
below the top blue bar on the site: "[size=small]New - Audioquest Dragonfly now in"[/size]

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #662 of 2,514
Quote:
Hello all,
I just got this yesterday, probably have about 15hrs on it. Really does sound amazing! I have it set up with Windows 7 via an Acer laptop with a RCA split pair going to my M stage amp. I have a question about the color indicator on the dragon fly? I set the sample rate to 24 bit ,96HZ. When I play any hi Rez lossless audio it stays on the color purple? I thought that this DAC detects the various resolutions by changing colors? I am feeding it all types of sample rates, but still it stays purple? Did I set it up wrong?

Nope, it senses what the system is sending it from the sound setup in the system menu. It won't read it automatically by the file. You have to set it correctly in the setup when changing from 16/44 to say 24/96, etc...

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #663 of 2,514
Nope, it senses what the system is sending it from the sound setup in the system menu. It won't read it automatically by the file. You have to set it correctly in the setup when changing from 16/44 to say 24/96, etc...

Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Ok so every thing is working fine! Is it ok to keep my settings @ 24/96, or should I change it each time based on the resolution I feed it? Ex, If I have the settings at 24/96,
And then feed it some Apple lossless tracks @ 24/44, will the DAC correct the timing automatically or would it sound better if I changed the commuter settings to 24/44?

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #664 of 2,514
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks for your reply. Ok so every thing is working fine! Is it ok to keep my settings @ 24/96, or should I change it each time based on the resolution I feed it? Ex, If I have the settings at 24/96,
And then feed it some Apple lossless tracks @ 24/44, will the DAC correct the timing automatically or would it sound better if I changed the commuter settings to 24/44?

I only change the settings when I am playing a different resolutions. I have about 25 albums in hi-rez FLAC from HDTracks. The rest are CD's I ripped lossless in AIFF via iTunes. Not a big deal to change the settings but I find I tend to listen to the FLAC's in their own session.

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #665 of 2,514
I had a bit of a fail list night with the DF.  It was hooked directly into my MacBookAir (on a coffee table) and feeding my HD700.  About once every 10 minutes or so, it would cut out and I had to re-seat it.  Finally figued out that it was the DF dropping down a bit and when I raised it, I got sound again.  I ended up putting a thin coaster under the DF to keep it level.
I ended up ordering a short USB extension cable.
Audioquest really needs to come out with the Dragon Tail!!

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #666 of 2,514
Quote:
I had a bit of a fail list night with the DF.  It was hooked directly into my MacBookAir (on a coffee table) and feeding my HD700.  About once every 10 minutes or so, it would cut out and I had to re-seat it.  Finally figued out that it was the DF dropping down a bit and when I raised it, I got sound again.  I ended up putting a thin coaster under the DF to keep it level.
I ended up ordering a short USB extension cable.
Audioquest really needs to come out with the Dragon Tail!!

That's a little scary.  As another poster also mentioned experiencing earlier in the thread, the actual unit inside the casing for mine is slightly loose.  Like I can shake it and it rattles a bit.  Also the input jack is slightly loose now.  It doesn't seem to be quite as durable as it feels at first.

Sep 20, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #668 of 2,514
Hello All,
I have about 25 hrs on this thing and all I can say is I am completely blown away with this thing!:D I have it going through my op amp modded M stage amp, via split audio quest RCAs.
The sound is huge! Great imaging! currently using my HD600s.

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #669 of 2,514
I may have spoke too soon.  Came home after work to do some more testing and yes, after about 10 minutes, even with the USB extension, it started cutting out and doing weird things.  Re-seated it and it would go well for another 10.  It was starting to drive me crazy.  Wondering if I had a bad USB port sot I hooked up my Audioengine D1 and there were some clicks here and there. Tried the DF on my MacMini and it seemed to work OK.  Rebooted the MBA and things seemed normal.  To make a long story short, I think I had BitPerfect enabled. It really does weird things and I disabled it but programmed a button on my remote to engage it.  Deleted BitPerfect from my systems, hooked everything back up and all seems OK for the last half hour or so.  No signs of any weirdness.
BTW.. really, really prefer the DragonFly over the Audioengine D1.

I still hold fast that AQ needs to come out with the Dragon Tail.  

All seems OK now.  Silly User Error 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

That's a little scary.  As another poster also mentioned experiencing earlier in the thread, the actual unit inside the casing for mine is slightly loose.  Like I can shake it and it rattles a bit.  Also the input jack is slightly loose now.  It doesn't seem to be quite as durable as it feels at first.

Sep 20, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #670 of 2,514
Quote:
I may have spoke too soon.  Came home after work to do some more testing and yes, after about 10 minutes, even with the USB extension, it started cutting out and doing weird things.  Re-seated it and it would go well for another 10.  It was starting to drive me crazy.  Wondering if I had a bad USB port sot I hooked up my Audioengine D1 and there were some clicks here and there. Tried the DF on my MacMini and it seemed to work OK.  Rebooted the MBA and things seemed normal.  To make a long story short, I think I had BitPerfect enabled. It really does weird things and I disabled it but programmed a button on my remote to engage it.  Deleted BitPerfect from my systems, hooked everything back up and all seems OK for the last half hour or so.  No signs of any weirdness.
BTW.. really, really prefer the DragonFly over the Audioengine D1.

I still hold fast that AQ needs to come out with the Dragon Tail.  

All seems OK now.  Silly User Error 
rolleyes.gif

So far the DF seems pretty reliable and really really good!

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #671 of 2,514
Just got this little device this week! Got it for a complete steal ($165 brand new) and it really did the trick for what I wanted (small DAC/amp to get rid of hiss for my IEMs). The fact that it has great quality is even better and that it only cost $50 more than my old MSII.

Sep 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #672 of 2,514
Quote:
Just got this little device this week! Got it for a complete steal ($165 brand new) and it really did the trick for what I wanted (small DAC/amp to get rid of hiss for my IEMs). The fact that it has great quality is even better and that it only cost $50 more than my old MSII.

$165??!! Score!

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #673 of 2,514
Quote:

Quote:
$165??!! Score!

Where?   
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 21, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #675 of 2,514
The Beyer DT-1350 works very well. I use it with the MBPro/DF combo and it is a winner. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back