AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Sep 17, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #646 of 2,514
Quote:

Going only on component count, as hard as I try to imagine that the Dragonfly has a lot of components inside, looking at these two photos, there haven't been enough advances in miniaturization in the past two years to explain the dramatic difference in size.  

Mike

From the designer:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/audioquest-dragonfly-24-96-asynchronous-usb-dac-headphone-amp-12353/index6.html#post163496

"There are 107 components on a 0.6"x1.7" four layer board including a ton of regulators and expensive custom capacitors."

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #647 of 2,514
So, too expensive? I challenge you to come with something as good at a similar price point.
I got my second DragonFly (after the first one was defective) and I can't be happier.

And don't forget: DragonFly is async USB done right with two clocks for doing 44.1 and 48 properly. DacPort is not async.
Don't judge it by it's size, but by it's sound alone. Leave portability and the number of parts inside out of discussion. More parts is not always better when it comes to better SQ. Also, 20 generic parts can be way cheaper than a single custom one, but is it also better?
Engineering done right can produce marvels like the DragonFly, so deal with it. Considering the SQ, the LX is clearly better than the amplified DacPort, so if a DragonFly without proper run-in can hold its own against the LX... go figure.

DacPort has had it's time and I'm sure they'll come out with something definitely better than the DragonFly, but for now, DF is at least as good as the DP, for less money and way smaller size. I can't be happier.

The only thing troubling me is it's reliability if plugged directly in the USB port of a notebook, and touching it every now and then. I fear it will affect/flex the internal PCB/components and that could result in problems similar to those I had with the first unit. I am using it with a very short (15 cm) good quality USB3 cable that can accommodate the whole plug of the DF (which a standard USB can't). For those interested, the cable is Delock 82776.

Think of the DragonFly as true engineering progress (unlike standard run of the mill copy / paste designs such as 95% of the products out there) and you will see what the future may hold. We just need more *motivated* engineers. Guess what camp the likes of FiiO lie in IMHO.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #648 of 2,514
Everyone seems to have missed my having written this:

Quote:
Everything is worth precisely what people are willing to pay.  And people are snapping up these Dragonfly's at a hectic clip, from what I can tell.  More power to them -  we're fortunate AudioQuest didn't set the retail price any higher.  

The problem with saying that the DACport is a better value on component count, alone, is that this statement ignores everything else that should influence a purchase decision.

Mike

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #649 of 2,514
FWIW, I can get the Leckerton UHA-6S MKII to work with my jailbroken iPhone 4 using  Cydia's CameraConnector and the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit, but not the DragonFly. When plugged in, I get a message indicating that the device requires too much power.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #650 of 2,514
I understand the desire to try and get a definitive answer as to which of two devices are "better". The best anyone can do is give their impressions with their computer, headphones and music choices. I can't imagine anyone making a bad decision buying either unless it doesn't match with any of the above for some reason. Trying to find some reason for one to be better than the other based on parts count, or technology used or whatever, especially without a comprehensive understanding of these things is a bit crazy I reckon. They are both made by talented designers and not cheap, $30 USB sound cards. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Quote:
HeadphoneAddict: I felt the L3 didn't improve the results with the Dragonfly as much as I expected, so it could be double-amping indeed. Ignoring orthos and maybe high-impedance cans for the moment (I don't have any suitable handy to try) I feel the Dragonfly is simply best as a standalone DAC and amp. It'd be interesting if someone found an amp it combines with well.

There could definitely be some confirmation bias at play here, but everything I've thrown at my DF -> O2 combo it either improved the sound (EPH-100/FXD80/Ed8/TP1) or produced no audible difference when compared to the DF out (GR07MKII/JVC S500).

One thing I realise I omitted is that USB-powered devices tend to suffer from congestion with complex music, which I've experienced with the Dragonfly and NFB-16 (using USB power, not the battery). For complex music, a suitably better external amp will definitely be good I reckon. 

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #651 of 2,514
Quote:
So, too expensive? I challenge you to come with something as good at a similar price point.
I got my second DragonFly (after the first one was defective) and I can't be happier.

And don't forget: DragonFly is async USB done right with two clocks for doing 44.1 and 48 properly. DacPort is not async.
Don't judge it by it's size, but by it's sound alone. Leave portability and the number of parts inside out of discussion. More parts is not always better when it comes to better SQ. Also, 20 generic parts can be way cheaper than a single custom one, but is it also better?
Engineering done right can produce marvels like the DragonFly, so deal with it. Considering the SQ, the LX is clearly better than the amplified DacPort, so if a DragonFly without proper run-in can hold its own against the LX... go figure.

DacPort has had it's time and I'm sure they'll come out with something definitely better than the DragonFly, but for now, DF is at least as good as the DP, for less money and way smaller size. I can't be happier.

The only thing troubling me is it's reliability if plugged directly in the USB port of a notebook, and touching it every now and then. I fear it will affect/flex the internal PCB/components and that could result in problems similar to those I had with the first unit. I am using it with a very short (15 cm) good quality USB3 cable that can accommodate the whole plug of the DF (which a standard USB can't). For those interested, the cable is Delock 82776.

Think of the DragonFly as true engineering progress (unlike standard run of the mill copy / paste designs such as 95% of the products out there) and you will see what the future may hold. We just need more *motivated* engineers. Guess what camp the likes of FiiO lie in IMHO.

There is nothing wrong with Adaptive USB if done right either.

Anyway, I look forward to reading your actual comparison between DF and DP soon.  Cheers!

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #652 of 2,514
just received a dragonfly and fired it up. it sounds excellent.

i'm having a problem though as i can only control volume via the audio program. have not yet gotten the DF to be the default sound card
running under puppy linux 5.31.

is there a way to control the master volume other than via the master volume on the computer?

the problem is with puppy linux, just trying to find a workaround

Sep 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #653 of 2,514
Never tried it with Linux, but on both the Mac and PC I set the DF as the default audio device, then set the volume to max in itunes or jriver. Then I use the pc/mac volume to control the volume level as the front end for the DF amp.

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #654 of 2,514
Apologies if this has been asked before ( a quick search didn't bring up any info) but can anyone advise as to the best way to get a Dragonfly in Western Canada? The AQ website doesn't indicate a dealer in this region and the cost to ship one via Amazon.com (it doesn't appear on Amazon.ca) is a bit steep. Thanks!

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #655 of 2,514
Quote:
Apologies if this has been asked before ( a quick search didn't bring up any info) but can anyone advise as to the best way to get a Dragonfly in Western Canada? 

I advise importing more Mosquito's and they should arrive on their own!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, is there a dealer for Audioquest in Canada you could order from?

Sep 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #656 of 2,514
Quote:
Apologies if this has been asked before ( a quick search didn't bring up any info) but can anyone advise as to the best way to get a Dragonfly in Western Canada? The AQ website doesn't indicate a dealer in this region and the cost to ship one via Amazon.com (it doesn't appear on Amazon.ca) is a bit steep. Thanks!

Quote:
I advise importing more Mosquito's and they should arrive on their own!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, is there a dealer for Audioquest in Canada you could order from?

this site says they have it in stock, (I've never ordered from them, but I have bought stuff from their physical location)

http://www.headphonebar.com/

Sep 19, 2012 at 5:30 PM Post #658 of 2,514
I've ordered online from Headphone Bar.  Actually got my Schiit Bifrost and FiiO stuff from them.  Just checked their site but did not see the DF.
Quote:

this site says they have it in stock, (I've never ordered from them, but I have bought stuff from their physical location)

http://www.headphonebar.com/

Sep 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #660 of 2,514
Hello all,
I just got this yesterday, probably have about 15hrs on it. Really does sound amazing! I have it set up with Windows 7 via an Acer laptop with a RCA split pair going to my M stage amp. I have a question about the color indicator on the dragon fly? I set the sample rate to 24 bit ,96HZ. When I play any hi Rez lossless audio it stays on the color purple? I thought that this DAC detects the various resolutions by changing colors? I am feeding it all types of sample rates, but still it stays purple? Did I set it up wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back