AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jun 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #2,431 of 2,514
Guys please help anyone know if this improves audio on galaxy note 5 ? Or galaxy s6?
I have low impedence $40 earphones i dont care about amplification

I use the Dragonfly Red with my Galaxy S6 Active. From everything I've read the S6 Active is supposed to have all the same components as the regular S6, but I'm not 100% sure about that claim. With USB Audio Player Pro as my music player the main differences I notice between the S6A's headphone out and the DFR is:

S6A - More midbass, although there is less texture and the subass doesn't extend as deeply. Flatter sound stage.

DFR - Less midbass, but more subass like the sound spectrum has been stretched out. Much more treble energy. I wouldn't call it bright, just more crisp and alive. More airiness, larger sound stage and better instrument layering. And much driving power.

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #2,432 of 2,514
Posted this in the other DF thread.

I just picked up a RED today and am testing it out both on a Macbook playing WAV and AIFF files from iTunes and iPhone using Apple Music...

First couple negatives:

- I can't turn the volume up full on either device without significant distortion is this normal? It sounds fine @ <90~ percent...

- I both on iPhone and Macbook Pro (iTunes) am noticing a ton of clicks and pops. Kinda like vinyl pops but with a bit of a metallic tone to them. Surely this isn't normal? 

Jun 5, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #2,433 of 2,514
  Posted this in the other DF thread.

I just picked up a RED today and am testing it out both on a Macbook playing WAV and AIFF files from iTunes and iPhone using Apple Music...

First couple negatives:

- I can't turn the volume up full on either device without significant distortion is this normal? It sounds fine @ <90~ percent...

- I both on iPhone and Macbook Pro (iTunes) am noticing a ton of clicks and pops. Kinda like vinyl pops but with a bit of a metallic tone to them. Surely this isn't normal? 

I've never gone past 80% on the volume since my head might implode, but the pops and clicks shouldn't be normal. However I am a PC/Android user, so Apple problems I know of not.

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #2,434 of 2,514
I have had my Dragonfly 1.2 for a while now, and have used the USB Audio Player Pro on my Android phone. I forgot to take it out when I switched to streaming on Deezer, and I found, much to my surprise, that it works perfectly. I had tried it with Deezer some time ago with no success, so what has changed?

Jun 8, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #2,435 of 2,514
with the Red hooked up to my laptop's volume control, playing spotify or tidal, I find the volume quite high at 8-12% of max.
(and i've of course turned up the tidal and spotify volumes to max on their own internal on screen apps)
powerful little bugger

if anyone is considering selling their dragontail w jitterbug, shoot me a pm

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #2,436 of 2,514
Unrelated question, but does Tidal do scrobbling to Last FM ? I would not be opposed to using UAPP + Tidal + Dragonfly + S7 ---- IF, and ONLY IF, Tidal can scrobble to Last FM so I can keep track of everything I listen to. How does it operate for scrobbling through the UAPP app? I saw there were issues with Tidal dropping/logging out of scrobbling/Last FM while in the middle of listening sessions.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,437 of 2,514
From the update notes of USB Audio Player Pro version 2.6.5/2.6.6

"The app now also functions as UPnP media renderer: you can select UAPP as renderer in UPnP control apps like BubbleUPnP and enjoy the interface of the other app while still enjoying the audio quality of UAPP! It also allows UAPP to be remote controlled and use services like Qobuz and Google Music when used in combination with BubbleUPnP."

Edit:
-Played around with BubbleUPnP using UAPP as renderer and Google Play Music as my cloud. Works perfectly!
-The best way to use volume control is to put Android native volume to full and then set your desired level through the BubbleUPnP app which goes from 0-100 volume steps. You can also open UAPP and use the software volume slider to fine tune, but I don't find it necessary.
-With the screen off, the volume control will default to Android's native 15 steps and depending on how high your volume is set the volume between each step will be quite dramatic. Best to set your volume while in app.
-Interface is a little clunky, but easy to figure out.
-@stuck limo BubbleUPnP supports Tidal, UAPP and scrobbling.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #2,438 of 2,514

I have the Dragonfly and Xonar Essence STX in my possession and have heard the Auzentech's X-fi Forte and at a friend's house.

The dragonfly is on par if not better than the Essence STX.  The Auzentech's Forte is not as good as the the STX or dragonfly.  
Your particular headphone model will determine which source sounds better.
My AKG K702 sounds better on the STX whereas my Sennheiser HD600 sounds better on the Dragonfly.  It's all about the synergy!

An USB pen like DragonFly is competitive than Asus STX sound card as sound quality ???
REALLY ?

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #2,439 of 2,514
  An USB pen like DragonFly is competitive than Asus STX sound card as sound quality ???
REALLY ?

I agree I have the STX and Dragonfly v1.2 and the STX is considerably more detailed with its stock opp amps. The sound stage is not as wide on the STX and vocals seem more forward but detail is not even close. The STX also seems to have more sub-bass. The dragonfly doesn't have buggy drivers though so that is a plus. I find this with all my headphones and the one IEM I have. It's all subjective though so of course YMMV.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #2,440 of 2,514
  I agree I have the STX and Dragonfly v1.2 and the STX is considerably more detailed with its stock opp amps. The sound stage is not as wide on the STX and vocals seem more forward but detail is not even close. The STX also seems to have more sub-bass. The dragonfly doesn't have buggy drivers though so that is a plus. I find this with all my headphones and the one IEM I have. It's all subjective though so of course YMMV.

Sorry i dont understand, do you saying that the Dragonfly is much lower than STX ?

Can you explain better ?

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #2,441 of 2,514
  Sorry i dont understand, do you saying that the Dragonfly is much lower than STX ?

Yeah in terms of many specs, you can also op amp roll with it. It has better SNR and can play things up to 24/192kHz without downsampling while the Dragonfly goes up to only 24/96kHz (not as important in most music). They are different cards for different purpose's.

Jun 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #2,442 of 2,514
  Yeah in terms of many specs, you can also op amp roll with it. It has better SNR and can play things up to 24/192kHz without downsampling while the Dragonfly goes up to only 24/96kHz (not as important in most music). They are different cards for different purpose's.

So the STX is much better than Dragonfly ?
I usually use the 16bit/48Khz sample rate for all around use.

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #2,443 of 2,514
The red can drive headphones like beyer t90?
thank you

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:04 AM Post #2,445 of 2,514
Been looking at the Dragonfly Black for the past few months, just looking for something to clean up the DAC in my Galaxy Tab S2, My Macbook Pro 13" Retina and my desktop PC.  I'm using it w/ my B&O H6 V2s and my Trinity Audio Atlas IEMs.  I'd never heard the original or the update, so I wouldn't be able to A&B them or anything so I wasn't worried about the 1.5 being slightly worse than the 1.2...I just want the power savings as my tablet isn't exactly the greatest from a battery standpoint.  

The Black does not disappoint in this regard, however it is shocking at how much quieter it is on the tablet compared to the MacBook Pro.  I am at about 85% on the tablet and about 25% on the MacBook.  Clearly it's a power thing from the USB ports, so I went and bought the official DragonTail USB for Android cable to see if maybe it's just the crappy Micro>USB OTG cable I've got, but I seriously doubt it.  Either way, I'm definitely happy w/ the Black and it does what I need to do while not being too taxing on the systems.  

This is a great little product for 100 bucks.  No complaints here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back