AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 18, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #2,416 of 2,514
  Has anyone compared Modi Uber to Dragonfly? I'm still kinda suspicious about the ability of Dragonfly due to its size lol

I have never compared them side by side as my modi uber is part of my home cinema/audio system (windows tv box > wyrd > modi2 uber > amp) and I use my original DF 1.1 with my laptop and Android phone.

However, before I got the Modi, I had tried my DF with the above setup. It was too bassy for my taste.

That said, the Modi2 Uber has to be more balanced and neutral than the original DF which is rather more fun sounding. 

May 18, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2,417 of 2,514
  I have never compared them side by side as my modi uber is part of my home cinema/audio system (windows tv box > wyrd > modi2 uber > amp) and I use my original DF 1.1 with my laptop and Android phone.

However, before I got the Modi, I had tried my DF with the above setup. It was too bassy for my taste.

That said, the Modi2 Uber has to be more balanced and neutral than the original DF which is rather more fun sounding. 

How about the newer Dragonfly red? Have you had a chance to listen to it? I have Vali 2 as my amp and I'm looking for a DAC that goes with it. I'm mainly using HD600 now

May 18, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #2,418 of 2,514
  How about the newer Dragonfly red? Have you had a chance to listen to it? I have Vali 2 as my amp and I'm looking for a DAC that goes with it. I'm mainly using HD600 now

I haven't heard anything else from the DF series apart from the original.
I was considering getting the new ''black'' but the reviews are mixed for both new DF's, black and red and I'm quite hesitant.

The original DF is amazing provided that you pair it with neutral equipment. The synergy with Hifiman's RE-400 for example is amazing.  HD600 are said to be neutral so if the first DF is anything to go, then the new ones might suit you as well. 

May 18, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,419 of 2,514
  I haven't heard anything else from the DF series apart from the original.
I was considering getting the new ''black'' but the reviews are mixed for both new DF's, black and red and I'm quite hesitant.

The original DF is amazing provided that you pair it with neutral equipment. The synergy with Hifiman's RE-400 for example is amazing.  HD600 are said to be neutral so if the first DF is anything to go, then the new ones might suit you as well. 

Another question that bugs me is the size of DF. I'm not sure how a USB sized DAC can compete with other full-sized DACs.

May 18, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #2,420 of 2,514
  Another question that bugs me is the size of DF. I'm not sure how a USB sized DAC can compete with other full-sized DACs.

You shouldn't be prejudiced against small DACs due to their size. Some great DAC chips are included in DAP's which retain the small portable factor.

In this case specifically, Modi2 might be the better DAC but from what I have seen so far with these things, the most important part is rather how you pair your equipment.

I'm sure there are more experienced users in here to assist you but imo you could do a lot worse than buy a DF 1.0.  As you are going to use an amp with it (bypassing DF's amp section) I don't see a point buying the red which is said to provide more output power but it's not yet determined whether it is the better one or not between the two. There have not been released many reviews as of now. Besides, if you're lucky, you might find a DF 1.0 (or better 1.1) in very low price. I have seen some sold for very little in the classified section.

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay the extra buck for the DF red and you plan to use it with your desktop rig (paired with your Vali), then the modi is the better solution, both sonically and stylistically (Schiit stack).

May 18, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #2,421 of 2,514
  You shouldn't be prejudiced against small DACs due to their size. Some great DAC chips are included in DAP's which retain the small portable factor.

In this case specifically, Modi2 might be the better DAC but from what I have seen so far with these things, the most important part is rather how you pair your equipment.

I'm sure there are more experienced users in here to assist you but imo you could do a lot worse than buy a DF 1.0.  As you are going to use an amp with it (bypassing DF's amp section) I don't see a point buying the red which is said to provide more output power but it's not yet determined whether it is the better one or not between the two. There have not been released many reviews as of now. Besides, if you're lucky, you might find a DF 1.0 (or better 1.1) in very low price. I have seen some sold for very little in the classified section.

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay the extra buck for the DF red and you plan to use it with your desktop rig (paired with your Vali), then the modi is the better solution, both sonically and stylistically (Schiit stack).

Gotcha I'll do a bit more research on my own! Thanks for the advice :)

May 23, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #2,422 of 2,514
  Basically, no streaming services should be used for auditioning stereo equipment. Hand pick your tracks to go audition stereo equipment.

I know we're away from this inane debate, but people should audition equipment with the type of music files they plan to listen to once they buy that equipment. Besides, we're talking Dragonflies here, not the Chord David DAC. 

Also bear in mind that for its asking price, the Dragonfly is both a DAC and a headphone amp. If you only need a DAC to pair with your Schitt amp, you might consider putting your full budget toward a dedicated DAC to get the best you can afford. (That is not to say that the DAC section of the Dragonfly is not competitive at its low price point, but you have more options than someone who needs the amp function as well.)

May 25, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #2,423 of 2,514
I got the RED today after returning the BLACK. First Impressions are very positive.

The first big difference is: driving capabilities. The RED can drive even full size cans like the Sennheiser HD600 and the T50rp mk3 with good volume and authority, and given the size and the portability of the device, this is impressive. The BLACK was struggling with those and the pairing was no good.

The bass on the RED seems more controlled and less warmer than the BLACK, and the sound is more refined. I played Hotel California flac and the sense of ambience and realism was brilliant.

At my work (in hotel) I was talking with some customers, and I let them listen to the Dragonfly with some crappy pc speakers. 3 of them, they all agree that the sound was much better than my MAC Headphone Out.

For me, I suggest to spend double and get the RED. At the end, it's better sounding, and can drive almost any headphone. You can attach it to the phone and BOOM! Go everywhere.

May 28, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #2,424 of 2,514
With the Red and Hd580/600 ear Cups/650 cable ...sounds great off idevices but on the teetering edge of max volume when driving directly. Hopefully AQ can offer a firmware option to give similar option as high gain found on amps. Mind you, it is purely source dependent so the task might have to go to the media-player but when pushing the EQ in Onkyo player, clipping is evident. Yeah, I could use the Fiio monte blanc iem or E5 but intent is to have less of a cable mess.

On the more traditional phone..RHA20i , Klipsch x20i, QC25... Plentiful volume headroom is found.

The monte blanc still improves the SQ for the Hd580 and x20i(<--very surprised at how the reveal amplification btw)

May 31, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #2,425 of 2,514
  I got the RED today after returning the BLACK. First Impressions are very positive.

The first big difference is: driving capabilities. The RED can drive even full size cans like the Sennheiser HD600 and the T50rp mk3 with good volume and authority, and given the size and the portability of the device, this is impressive. The BLACK was struggling with those and the pairing was no good.

The bass on the RED seems more controlled and less warmer than the BLACK, and the sound is more refined. I played Hotel California flac and the sense of ambience and realism was brilliant.

At my work (in hotel) I was talking with some customers, and I let them listen to the Dragonfly with some crappy pc speakers. 3 of them, they all agree that the sound was much better than my MAC Headphone Out.

For me, I suggest to spend double and get the RED. At the end, it's better sounding, and can drive almost any headphone. You can attach it to the phone and BOOM! Go everywhere.

since you've also auditioned the black,can you say the sound quality improvent of red over black only for iems?

Jun 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2,428 of 2,514
  Anyone word on output impedance of either new model? Anyone paired with SE535?

Yeah, unfortunately nothing published or third-party measured yet, but my ATH-IM02 which has an impedance curve that's all over the damn map, sounds wacky to me even out of something like the iPhone 6 Plus with its 3.2ohm impedance, and I have no issues with the DF Red with it, so it's probably getting proper damping.

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #2,429 of 2,514
Hi guys, my setup right now is s6 edge plus, sabre hifimediy android dac into cayin c5.

Lastweek I picked up the chord mojo, ive tried everything I know of from using different music players such as uapp to tidal HIFI and the sound quality is the same. I swear I must be doing something wrong.

Im now considering the dragonfly v1.2, can it be used as OTG with my cayin c5 amp plugged into it, then my headphones plugged into the amp?

Cheers

At last some one with similar hardware to note 5. , man i wanna ask you does your dacs improve youe s6 plus audio quality? Over your build in wm1840 ?

Jun 5, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #2,430 of 2,514
Guys please help anyone know if this improves audio on galaxy note 5 ? Or galaxy s6?
I have low impedence $40 earphones i dont care about amplification

Users who are viewing this thread

Back