AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jun 15, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,861 of 2,514

I am very curious, could you try to precise what you feel this combination brings to the sound of these headphones ? And what kind of music dou yo listen to with it ?

I listen to a wide variety of music, but in general, the Senn HD 598 has a nice mid range, reasonable clarity and detail without fatigue.  I added the amp, frankly, because I felt that with the Dragonfly along, the music lacked weight (and volume, when I wanted to play it loud).

Hope that helps...

Jun 15, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #1,863 of 2,514

I listen to a wide variety of music, but in general, the Senn HD 598 has a nice mid range, reasonable clarity and detail without fatigue.  I added the amp, frankly, because I felt that with the Dragonfly along, the music lacked weight (and volume, when I wanted to play it loud).

Hope that helps...

It does, thanks ! I plan to get a usb DAC, and so far I'm considering the AQ Dragonfly, HRT microstreamer and Meridian Explorer... So trying to gather information and the feelings of those who experienced these combinations with the HD 598.

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #1,864 of 2,514
I think I am finally figuring out this Dragofly audiophile headphone thing. Bitperfect software is automatically upsampling my cd's ripped to apple lossless files at a rate of 88200 Hz and now my Dragonfly is showing amber.

Jun 20, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,865 of 2,514
I think I am finally figuring out this Dragofly audiophile headphone thing. Bitperfect software is automatically upsampling my cd's ripped to apple lossless files at a rate of 88200 Hz and now my Dragonfly is showing amber.

You can adjust/control that behavior in Bitperfect.  Try experimenting to see if you like the effect on or off and with Linear or Minimum phase filters (that's adjustable in Bitperfect, as well).

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #1,866 of 2,514
You can adjust/control that behavior in Bitperfect.  Try experimenting to see if you like the effect on or off and with Linear or Minimum phase filters (that's adjustable in Bitperfect, as well).
So your saying Krutsch that I should just play with it a little bit and see what I like better?

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #1,867 of 2,514
I have been researching DACs and Amps and I am looking at the Dragonfly 1.2 or Fiio E17. Anyone know how the E17s DAC is compared to Dragonfly? Also is there a substantial and noticeable difference in the smoothness from the DF to the DF1.2 like Audioquests website says. Trying to figure out if the 1.2 is worth fifty more dollars.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,868 of 2,514
So your saying Krutsch that I should just play with it a little bit and see what I like better?

Well, that's what I have done.  You milage may vary, but I was surprised at the differences between using / not using SRC with different DACs.

My belief is that the DF does benefit from up-sampling redbook or lossy tracks.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #1,869 of 2,514

Hope that helps...

Krutsch, off topic for this thread, but notice similarities between your chain and mine. Specifically, mLink--love this usb interface, wondering if you think ifi improves it at all. mLink is supposed to have excellent power regulation already.
Thanks

Jun 22, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #1,870 of 2,514
Krutsch, off topic for this thread, but notice similarities between your chain and mine. Specifically, mLink--love this usb interface, wondering if you think ifi improves it at all. mLink is supposed to have excellent power regulation already.
Thanks

The mLink does have excellent power handling and I don't think the iUSBPower adds anything there.  I did some ad-hoc comparisons and really couldn't hear any difference.

I'm with you on the Bel Canto mLink - the most significant impact as compared with everything else I've added to my rig, other than new headphones.  It really is all about clean power and low-noise, accurate clocks.  You can find them online now for $199.00 and at that price it's an absolute steal.

I've removed the iUSBPower from my head-fi rig and moved it to my 2-channel system, between my MacBook and the integrated amp's DAC module.  Made a nice difference there, but it's subtle.

Jun 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,871 of 2,514
I just recently got mine.  The Dragonfly paired with Audirvana Plus results in very impressive sound quality!

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,872 of 2,514
  I just recently got mine.  The Dragonfly paired with Audirvana Plus results in very impressive sound quality!

Congrats.  Think about pairing your new Dragonfly with an out-board amp; even something inexpensive, like a FiiO E11 (what I like with the DF).  Night and day for me and my ears.

Jun 24, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #1,873 of 2,514

Congrats.  Think about pairing your new Dragonfly with an out-board amp; even something inexpensive, like a FiiO E11 (what I like with the DF).  Night and day for me and my ears.

Would you recommend a similar setup to this ^ (usb dac with separate amp) as opposed to buying a more expensive desktop DAC with a built in amp? Right now I only have MDr V6 and Dt 770 80 ohm but I am planning to upgrade at some point to something more along the lines of an HD 600 headpone.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #1,874 of 2,514
It really depends on the individual equipment you are thinking about buying more than the comparison of separate vs built in amp.  I currently use the Dragonfly with the Little Dot Mk V, a solid state amplifier, and I get great results. (The LD mkV works great with the HD 600 btw).  Also consider that the Dragonfly has a built in amp, which can make do until you save up for a dedicated headphone amp.  The one argument that goes for getting separate DAC and amp is that you will have more options to choose from.  

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #1,875 of 2,514
^^ That's it... I missed the amp section in your signature.  Enjoy your pairing (I've read great things about the LD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back