AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 3, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #1,833 of 2,514
I found the Sennheiser 414 still more airier and brighter than the flats.  They come close but the flats give your more warmth and thicker midrange. My opinion though.

May 6, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #1,837 of 2,514
  So i just hook up a 1/8 to 2rca and then plug that into my amp. Will there be any interference or something like that with the signal getting amped twice?

If you put the system volume and media player volume at 100%, DF won't amplify the signal.

May 7, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,838 of 2,514

If you put the system volume and media player volume at 100%, DF won't amplify the signal.

Really?  I didn't think there was anyway to bypass the amp in the DF; I though fixed output was really just max volume.

May 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,839 of 2,514

Really?  I didn't think there was anyway to bypass the amp in the DF; I though fixed output was really just max volume.

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/dragonfly/DragonFly-FlightManual-EN.pdf

"DragonFly is also capable of being employed as a traditional fixed-outputsource component (such as a CD, DVD or Blu-ray player),
and can be connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the main operating system volume control should be set to maximum. This “fixed output mode”allows your audio
or AV system’s volume control to be in charge."

May 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #1,840 of 2,514

http://www.audioquest.com/pdfs/dragonfly/DragonFly-FlightManual-EN.pdf

"DragonFly is also capable of being employed as a traditional fixed-outputsource component (such as a CD, DVD or Blu-ray player),
and can be connected to a standard input on a receiver or preamplifier. For this application, both the music player’s volume control and the main operating system volume control should be set to maximum. This “fixed output mode”allows your audio
or AV system’s volume control to be in charge."

Oh, yes, you are correct.  Running the output stage at unity gain is not the same thing as bypassing the amp, so I was misreading your earlier comment.  Thanks for the correction. 

May 7, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,841 of 2,514
I remember I read on cnet that the df 1.1 wasnt a good match for full-sized headphones. Does the new df 1.2 have the same problem? If yes, I would be better off with the audioengine d3. Cnet gave it a very good review. They actually said its clearly better than the df 1.1
But I dont know about the df 1.2

May 12, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #1,842 of 2,514
Any of you have experience listening to both dragonfly 1.2 as well as schiit modi/ magni combination OR the meridian explorer? Your thoughts on how the dragonfly fares against the others? Trying to decide on what dac/ amp to pair with my macbook pro and monster miles davis trumpet IEMs.

May 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #1,843 of 2,514
  Any of you have experience listening to both dragonfly 1.2 as well as schiit modi/ magni combination OR the meridian explorer? Your thoughts on how the dragonfly fares against the others? Trying to decide on what dac/ amp to pair with my macbook pro and monster miles davis trumpet IEMs.

I don't know if a Dragonfly on its own is a noticeable difference from the MBP's on-board DAC. I can't really hear a difference between the 2... although, this is one of those things where I question my judgement because I'm new to this, and maybe I just haven't developed my audible "palate" enough yet, but to me they sound pretty identical. 

Anyone else care to weigh-in? Would love to hear other opinions on this

May 13, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #1,844 of 2,514
Got my DF 1.2 in today.  Plugged it in and the bass was out of control via my SE846.  I left it and went to lunch and the bass has tightened up a ton.  Sounds good.  Only problem for me is the gain is so high, I have my computer volume at 1 or 2 and its loud enough for me to use at work.  I only plan on using it with IEMs so maybe its overkill and I should try something else out.  Other than that, no complaints.  Looks and sounds good.  

May 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,845 of 2,514
  Got my DF 1.2 in today.  Plugged it in and the bass was out of control via my SE846.  I left it and went to lunch and the bass has tightened up a ton.  Sounds good.  Only problem for me is the gain is so high, I have my computer volume at 1 or 2 and its loud enough for me to use at work.  I only plan on using it with IEMs so maybe its overkill and I should try something else out.  Other than that, no complaints.  Looks and sounds good.  

It's definitely too powerful for IEMs. Better use it as a DAC with a good amp - e.g. E12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back