AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
May 13, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #1,847 of 2,514

Yeah, but looking for a simple solution with minimal units to plug in.  Adding the cost of the E12 and there are other choices in that price range as well.  

That being said, it does sound good.  

I use it with an E11 and that seems to be a good match for full-sized cans.  I don't bother with IEMs (plug them directly into the DF 1.2).

FWIW, I was surprised how much I liked the DF with an external amp in the chain.

May 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #1,848 of 2,514

I don't know if a Dragonfly on its own is a noticeable difference from the MBP's on-board DAC. I can't really hear a difference between the 2... although, this is one of those things where I question my judgement because I'm new to this, and maybe I just haven't developed my audible "palate" enough yet, but to me they sound pretty identical. 

Anyone else care to weigh-in? Would love to hear other opinions on this

I briefly compared Dragonfly 1.0 with Modi here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/640785/schiit-modi-usb-dac/480#post_10547316

Dragonfly sounds warmer to my ears, but other than that they are very comparable in SQ.

May 25, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #1,850 of 2,514
Hello guys, need a little technical help here.

Upon receiving my DF v1.2, I plugged it into my laptop's USB drive.

Under the audio devices, I checked and found that exclusive mode was enabled by default from the Dragonfly. The Dragonfly was classified as 'speakers', and as the default device.

In Foobar2000 however, I realized that I am unable to select any output except for DS: Speakers (Audioquest Dragonfly).

Attempting to select either Wasapi event or push mode is met by 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 44100 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels', or 'Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported stream format: 96000 Hz / 16-bit / 2 channels' (depending on the file I play)

Anyone experienced the same problem before? I don't see what I have done wrong at all. The other USB DACs I have used before did not encounter such problems.

Edit: Using the 2 other laptops (windows 7) I have at hand, there are no such problems with the dragonfly. everything works as it should. could there be some problems with the settings of my laptop? it's running windows 8.0

Edit2: I have found that there is no issue when I select output data format to 24bit. Eveything works perfectly that way. However, doesn't this mean that when I play 16bit tracks, it will be upsampled to 24bit, which will cause the audio quality to decrease?

May 25, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,851 of 2,514
Hello Jude,

Could you please help.

Which headphones do you recommend with Audio Quest Dragonfly? Any comments on Bayer Dynamic a200p they are small as well.

I have come across Sennhieser HD700/650, Hifiman HE 400/500/560 (eagerly waiting for 560's review) , V-Moda M100, LCD 2 (Ver.2).

My music preference is mostly electronic, pop, hip hop. I also listen to rock, fusion, lounge music. I like music with nice heavy bass but not at the cost of overall quality of music. So a little over hint of bass would do fine with supreme quality of vocals, instruments.  

i was considering FIIO e18 as i use galaxy note 3. but i was told that it is more important to have a better DAC with good headphones.

a 200 p works with android, is dragonfly also compatible? does dragon fly draw power from the device or is it self powered?

I look forward to your help.

Cheers!

May 30, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #1,852 of 2,514
I use the Dragonfly v. 1.0 with my Grados GS1000, and it sounds fine - No harshness or ear fatigue.

Quote:
  Thank you zerolight and everybody else that responded to my question.

It's disappointing that Dragonfly does not complement Grados well, I really like Dragonfly's size and design. Is there anything of a similar size that works well with Grado?

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,853 of 2,514
Good afternoon fellow head-fi'rs, first time posting on this thread. I'm presently running this setup for a hp listening station: MacBook Pro Retina 13' > Dragonfly 1.2 > AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5 - RCA interconnect cable > Woo Audio WA6 hp amp with a SAA Endorphin power cable > Grado RS1i headphones. So here's a newbie question. Whenever I'm listening to music thru iTunes the dragonfly is always the light pink magenta color, do I have my MBP setup correctly for the Dragonfly? 

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,854 of 2,514
  Good afternoon fellow head-fi'rs, first time posting on this thread. I'm presently running this setup for a hp listening station: MacBook Pro Retina 13' > Dragonfly 1.2 > AudioQuest Golden Gate 3.5 - RCA interconnect cable > Woo Audio WA6 > Grado RS1i headphones. So here's a newbie question. Whenever I'm listening to music thru iTunes the dragonfly is always the light pink magenta color, do I have my MBP setup correctly for the Dragonfly? 

Go to the App Store on your MacBook Pro and look for the BitPerfect app.  That will auto-adjust the DF to match the sample rate and bit depth of your tracks.  You can do this manually with Audio MIDI Setup, but Bitperfect offers other advantages (like playback from memory and integer mode, bypassing Core Audio in Mac OS).

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,855 of 2,514

Go to the App Store on your MacBook Pro and look for the BitPerfect app.  That will auto-adjust the DF to match the sample rate and bit depth of your tracks.  You can do this manually with Audio MIDI Setup, but Bitperfect offers other advantages (like playback from memory and integer mode, bypassing Core Audio in Mac OS).

Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Small world, I live Burnsville.

Jun 1, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #1,856 of 2,514
  Thank you sir. I appreciate the info. Small world, I live Burnsville.

You should come to the Minneapolis meet, next weekend at Needle Doctors (there is a thread on the topic).

Jun 13, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,859 of 2,514
  For those who have (had) the combination, how does the Dragonfly v1.2 pair with the senn HD 598 ? Thank you !

I am listening to that pairing at work, right now.  Excellent match between the two, but I like to add a FiiO E11 amp in between to give things a little more kick 
L3000.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,860 of 2,514

I am listening to that pairing at work, right now.  Excellent match between the two, but I like to add a FiiO E11 amp in between to give things a little more kick 
L3000.gif

I am very curious, could you try to precise what you feel this combination brings to the sound of these headphones ? And what kind of music dou yo listen to with it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back