AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #76 of 2,514
Quote:

FWIW, I used to have HF2 with ACS, ER4ps, 500/535, and I'm fairly certain this is by far the best IEM experience I've had.  These are the first IEMs that make me feel okay forgetting headphones.  I'm going back and forth between these and my Thunderpants, which are excellent, and don't feel I'm missing too much.

It took a bit getting the ear molds done and waiting for ACS, but it was well worth it. Much better isolation and deeper bass for sure. I would love to hear the UE's or some of the high end IEM's to compare.Another benefit of the Dragonfly! High quality comparisons without a pile of gear...
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #77 of 2,514
Interesting....it's been a while since I've heard another Audio Request product receive some positive feedback. Heck I still have there original Nitro Pro Music server.

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #78 of 2,514
Quote:
It took a bit getting the ear molds done and waiting for ACS, but it was well worth it. Much better isolation and deeper bass for sure. I would love to hear the UE's or some of the high end IEM's to compare.Another benefit of the Dragonfly! High quality comparisons without a pile of gear...
biggrin.gif

You might want to give these a shot as they're cheap, $150 (talking about EPH-100)... I too had ACS molds w/ an HF2 and thought they were fine at the time but still much preferred headphones out of my desktop rig.  There's one guy in the EPH thread saying he prefers them to all his higher end IEMs except for Melody Merlins, and they're not far off for the overall enjoyment factor, and at least a couple others claiming they got rid of their headphone collection after getting these.  I think I'm going to be in that latter category, esp. if the DragonFly performs with these like O2/ODAC.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #79 of 2,514
Quote:

You might want to give these a shot as they're cheap, $150 (talking about EPH-100)... I too had ACS molds w/ an HF2 and thought they were fine at the time but still much preferred headphones out of my desktop rig.  There's one guy in the EPH thread saying he prefers them to all his higher end IEMs except for Melody Merlins, and they're not far off for the overall enjoyment factor, and at least a couple others claiming they got rid of their headphone collection after getting these.  I think I'm going to be in that latter category, esp. if the DragonFly performs with these like O2/ODAC.

If the current ACS molds will work, that would be fun to try. ACS said they will keep the molds on digital file for 5 years so you can order another set when necessary.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #80 of 2,514
Quote:
If the current ACS molds will work, that would be fun to try. ACS said they will keep the molds on digital file for 5 years so you can order another set when necessary.

They're fairly large bore dynamic IEMs so probably not.  That said, I find the fit fantastic for me, much better than triple/bi-flange I've used in the past (I can get a seal without having pressure from occlusion and no need for a deep insert).

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #81 of 2,514
They look good. I'll have to keep an eye out for a pair to demo.  Thanks for the heads up!

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #85 of 2,514
any chance you could bring one of these by the LA Meet, Jude?

Kojaku

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #88 of 2,514
Quote:
Sabre 32, very nice It's the best dac chip you can get, it's what all the top stuff from krell and mcintosh use!

That's incorrect, this is a 24 bit Sabre chip (9023), it tends to show up in alot of devices around the $500 price bracket and is relatively power and cost efficient.

The one people make a fuss over is the 9018.  The only portable device I'm aware of sporting one is the DX100.

EDIT: Sabre marketing material for their various chips: http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DAC

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #90 of 2,514
Quote:

That's incorrect, this is a 24 bit Sabre chip (9023), it tends to show up in alot of devices around the $500 price bracket and is relatively power and cost efficient.

The one people make a fuss over is the 9018.  The only portable device I'm aware of sporting one is the DX100.

EDIT: Sabre marketing material for their various chips: http://www.esstech.com/index.php?p=products_DA

Sorry your right my friend it's the sabre chip not the sabre 32 chip  

Audio DAC Solutions

sabre32.gif
The SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference audio DAC series is the world’s highest performance 32-bit audio DAC solution targeted for consumer applications such as Blu-ray player, audio pre-amplifier, A/V receiver and professional applications such as recording systems, mixer consoles and digital audio workstations. With ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference Stereo DAC delivers an unprecedented DNR of up to 135dB and THD+N of -120dB, the industry’s highest performance level that will satisfy the most demanding audio enthusiasts.
Device Description Package DNR (dB) THD (dB) I2S/DSD/SPDIF Input
ES9018 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC 64LQFP 135 (mono)
133 (stereo)
129 (8ch)
-120 Yes
ES9012 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Reference 32-bit Stereo Audio DAC 64LQFP 133 -120 Yes
For information about samples or product datasheets, please contact your local ESS Sales Representative.

SABRE_ULTRA.png

The ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra DAC is the latest addition to the world’s highest performance and critically acclaimed SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] DAC family. With ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream[size=x-small]TM[/size] DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra DAC delivers spectacular music with an unsurpassed sound stage, with up to 128dB dynamic range and 0.0003% (-110dB) total harmonic distortion, and free from clock jitter common in digital audio systems.

ES9016 SABRE[size=x-small]32[/size] Ultra 32-bit 8-Channel Audio DAC 48-LQFP 128 (2ch)
124 (8ch)
-110 Yes
For information about samples or product datasheets, please contact your local ESS Sales Representative.

SABRE_DAC_lowres.jpg
With Integrated 2Vrms Driver

The SABRE[size=x-small]TM[/size] DAC with integrated ground-centered 2V[size=x-small]rms[/size] driver operates from a single 3.3V power supply to deliver pop-free audio with 112dB of dynamic range, the highest performance of its class. With bill of materials reduced to just a few passive components externally, audiophile sound and quality are now accessible and affordable to any consumer audio products.

Device Description Package DNR (dB) Pop-Free Power Supply
ES9023 SABRE Premier Audio DAC with integrated 2V[size=x-small]rms[/size] Driver 16-SOP 112 Yes 3.3V

SABRE_DAC_lowres.jpg

The SABRE Audio DAC Series is the world’s first 8-channel audio DAC solution to bring true professional digital audio to the mass consumer home entertainment market, setting a new standard for high quality audio performance in a cost effective, compact, easy to use form factor for today’s most demanding digital audio applications.

ES9008 SABRE Reference Audio DAC 64LQFP 134 (mono)
128 (8ch)
-118 Yes
ES9006 SABRE Premier Audio DAC 48LQFP 120 -102 Yes
For information about samples or product datasheets, please contact your local

Users who are viewing this thread

Back