AudioQuest Dragonfly Review : Affordable, Outstanding, Tiny DAC / Amp
Jul 6, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #47 of 2,514
The DragonFly will also need to compete with the express card Echo Indigo DJx 88.2k/ 96k (with two outputs), or the Indigo IOX version (in/out). Also there is the Indigo old versions with PCMCIA card. The new X version can be fund new on the web for around $180, and the old version for much less.

Jul 6, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #48 of 2,514
Quote:
The DragonFly will also need to compete with the express card Echo Indigo DJx 88.2k/ 96k (with two outputs), or the Indigo IOX version (in/out). Also there is the Indigo old versions with PCMCIA card. The new X version can be fund new on the web for around $180, and the old version for much less.

I hadn't realized they made an ExpressCard version.  Thanks for the information.

Jul 6, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #49 of 2,514
Quote:

My Thunderpants is out on loan, so I haven't yet tried it with the Dragonfly--I'll let you know when I do.

As for its power draw: I'm not sure how much power it's drawing to do so, but the Dragonfly will drive the LCD-3. I've mostly used it so far with a few different MacBook Airs, an old MacBook Pro, and will be using it with the latest MacBook Pro with Retina display whenever it arrives (probably not for a few weeks). I'll bring home an old Samsung Windows netbook today, and see how it does with that.

(Let me know if I misunderstood your question.)

Hi Jude, my main thing is knowing how long I can go if I were for instance to use this to drive my TP1s without having to use the charger.  Basically, in my normal use case I can go about 6 hours on battery (light programming work), but I tend to be out at a coffee shop working for 3-4 hours at a time.  If I knew this thing only sapped about 10-20% of my MBA 11"'s battery I'd probably be all over it.  This is the main issue that kept me from picking up a Dacport... its class A operation and whatnot reportedly saps battery life quickly.  The e17 is nice and self powered, but not quite up to the task sonically for my TP1s (for that I take my O2/ODAC make due sitting my an outlet) and for my IEMs I've found just plugging into my headphone out is sufficient vs. carrying an extra device/cable.  This device seems a little too good to be true for my purposes, just getting a confirmation on the power draw is the only thing holding me back.

Jul 6, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #50 of 2,514
Quote:
well not in this format but certainly there has been many great sounding DACs in the market in that shape format, for example USB DAC by headstage and Halide design DACS come into mind. 

Hmmm... interesting.  But no headphone amp or volume control.

Quote:
Don't call me crazy, but does anybody have thoughts of the Dragonfly vs iPhone for sound quality?
At $250 the Dragonfly is at a price where I have to justify it in my own mind as something that has an advantage over whatever I currently have.  At $150-200 I might not even have to think 
tongue.gif

Not that crazy.  Most people (self included) find the iPhone4/iPod as an excellent source on its own.  I was thinking the same about the price... LOL!  At $200, I probably would've done an Amazon Prime and had it by the weekend.  But all other things equal, cheaper is always better!!!

Quote:
I hadn't realized they made an ExpressCard version.  Thanks for the information.

It is interesting to see all of the other things that are out there that this thread has brought to light.  Too bad Apple has gone away from the ExpressCard.  I know Apple is still the minority by far, but in this hobby there seems to be a disproportionate amount of MBPs and MacMinis.  With them getting rid of the ExpressCard and the MBAir not having Toslink out, this AQ thing is looking really good.  Plus, this thing would work well for desktop users who can also move it to their laptop when on the go.

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #51 of 2,514
It took a lot of fortitude but I held off using Amazon Prime to get it delivered by Saturday and now the cutoff point for Saturday delivery has been reached.  I'm safe for at least the weekend and maybe we'll get more details on iPhone vs Dragonfly. 

Quote:
Not that crazy.  Most people (self included) find the iPhone4/iPod as an excellent source on its own.  I was thinking the same about the price... LOL!  At $200, I probably would've done an Amazon Prime and had it by the weekend.  But all other things equal, cheaper is always better!!!

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #52 of 2,514
Quote:

I'm assuming that it still uses the same volume buttons on the Macbook keyboard?  If so, that's a HUGE plus for me.  I know you can do <Shift> <Option> <Vol> to get the same 64 steps in 10.7.4; but it's so much easier with one key.  Hmmm... 64 steps.  Is that just a coincidence?

My only other concern with this and even USB flash drives is the way it sticks out.  I've always worried about breaking something like this, especially if used in places like a cramped airplane seat or on a lumpy bed.  But I guess you can always just get one of these short extensions.  I wonder if AQ would approve.  
wink.gif
  This is pretty tempting.

Mike, it still uses the same volume buttons on the MacBook keyboard. However, you'll still have to do the SHIFT+OPTION+VOL to get the 64 steps. I think it's 16 without the three-key combos (just as it is without the Dragonfly).

I just use the combo or the slider.

Anyone know of a utility or script that defaults the keyboard volume keys on a Mac to the 64-step mode?

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #53 of 2,514
It took a lot of fortitude but I held off using Amazon Prime to get it delivered by Saturday and now the cutoff point for Saturday delivery has been reached.  I'm safe for at least the weekend and maybe we'll get more details on iPhone vs Dragonfly. 

apologies for the slightly off topic question, but where/how can one purchase the AQ Dragonfly from Amazon? I can't seem to find it.
Thx!:D

Jul 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #55 of 2,514
Jul 6, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #57 of 2,514
Would a login item applescript to remap the volume buttons to finer granulation control work for you?

Quote:

Mike, it still uses the same volume buttons on the MacBook keyboard. However, you'll still have to do the SHIFT+OPTION+VOL to get the 64 steps. I think it's 16 without the three-key combos (just as it is without the Dragonfly).

I just use the combo or the slider.

Anyone know of a utility or script that defaults the keyboard volume keys on a Mac to the 64-step mode?

Jul 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #58 of 2,514
Just found out Steve Guttenberg did a review:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57463791-47/a-tiny-usb-digital-to-analog-converter-from-audioquest/

He loves the DAC portion but is less enthused about the head-amp trying out an M50 & P5, which I find a bit worrisome.  I guess I'll hold out for more impressions, esp if anyone can compare its headamp to an O2 as that is my new transportable standard.

Jul 6, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #60 of 2,514
I would be very interested in how this product compares with the HRT Headstreamer. They're both similar, tthough not identical in specs...

HRT:130mW out @ <1 ohm, 1.40VRMS
DF: 150mW out @ ~=12ohms, 2.0VRMS

The HRT consumes 200mA max from the USB bus.

So, the headlamp section seems a little better suited to lower impedance cans on the HRT product, likewise, the DF slightly better for higher impedance cans. Note the much lower impedance, better damping factor in the HRT.

Don't have any info on the actual DAC used in the HRT product, whereas the DAC In the DF is the ESS Sabre. .

Both devices use asynchronous timing, both devices use digitally controlled analog volume control, 64 steps vs. 50 steps. Both devices accommodate the same resolutions up to 24/96.

The DF product is much smaller, but the HRT appears to be much more rugged and made in the USA. They both should be on a short dongle to eliminate undue stress on the USB port as far as I'm concerned.

So, the $64k question? Which one sounds better? For me, which one will better drive the LCD2/3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back