Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Jan 17, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #991 of 1,214
Quote:
Interesting observations. How are you streaming 192K files? 
Quote:
I've been playing around with my iPad and audio streaming. Using the Vaunix hub in the middle to allow the iPad to work with it, I had it almost streaming 192k. The AP1 showed 192k but the music was distorted.  Going back to 96k files, they sound better streamed through the iPad than direct from my MacBook Air. Not sure if the "better" is actually better or not, but the binaural Amber Rubath album sounds gentler and more delicate from the iPad, but more forward and aggressive with the MacBook Air. It's quite maddening. Would be great if the AP1 worked with 192k from the iPad though!

I'm streaming them using the iTunes Sharing feature. Would be fantastic if I can get this working. Apple has likely done a silent update of this feature to allow this, but the AP1 doesn't like the output.  

Jan 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #994 of 1,214
I upgraded from AP2 so I know what I have. :wink: Battery is a must IMO ... My preamp powered with supply or battery, it's the same thing. Each time I put a battery somewhere, it's a great improvement.

Purepower is plug and forget. It's not cheap but the device is well designed. It's possible to bring things better with stock AP2 when cleaning usb power. I was using hub + battery pack was very convincing. Having to manage battery charged ... not very practical ... it's work for a time ... but after need to the true device.

Purepower give even better sound than outside usb battery, more isolation, DC-DC noisy chip out the way ...

AP2 to AP1 ... very fen to have all those features. The biggest difference was to bypass my preamp using only dac on the amp using ap1 to control the volume. Have a remote in my hand to adjust the volume, mute, restart song, next, previous ... very convenient. I still need to use my computer but both together is very fun.

Now I need to figure if I can stack 50 foots of USB without impact the sound. I will test my hub + battery to see if that affect the sound of AP1 + purepower (probably not signifiant).

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #995 of 1,214
Lookie at what arrived in the mail today.

Will be posting impressions after a week or two of a/bing.

Jan 21, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #996 of 1,214
Good to see you on here Caution. I'm glad everything made it to you so quickly. I look forward to your impressions. That being said, I think my old AP2/PP is gonna kick your AP2's --- lol.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Lookie at what arrived in the mail today.

Will be posting impressions after a week or two of a/bing.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #997 of 1,214
Finally pulled the trigger today...on Schiit DAC & amp to set up new laptop system:

FLAC/Foobar/JPLAY 4.3 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > AP2/AQVOX > Black Cat Silver Star > Mini-Circuits HAT-10dB > Gungnir > Pyst XLR > Mjolnir > Moon Audio Blue Dragon 4-pin XLR > HE-500.

First time running balanced - impressions to follow.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #998 of 1,214
For anyone who finds the AP2 aggressive and grainy, I highly recommend enabling SPDIF bit 28  (thanks to HumanMedia from SNA for bringing this setting to my attention).  For AudioGD Reference 7.1 it won't work as the DIR9001 wont accept the clock level.  My NFB7.32 works fine though, WM8805 might be more chance of working as well.

Instructions can be found in the new manual, as well as in the new firmware package.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:23 AM Post #999 of 1,214
The WM8805 works with it but indeed, the DIR9001 wont work with bit 28 set.

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,000 of 1,214
[size=medium]Need some help getting 192 files to work. [/size]

[size=medium]<96 works fine, 192 is garbled with only a second or two not distorted.[/size]
[size=medium]AP2 firmware 1.27, Driver V1.9[/size]
[size=medium]Windows7 64bit[/size]
[size=medium]foobar2000 v1.2.2[/size]
[size=medium]Components: foo_jplay & WASAPI output support 3.1[/size]
[size=medium]Playback - No DSPs[/size]
[size=medium]Output Device WASAPI (event) : SPDIF Interface (2- audiophilleo 1_2 192Khz/24bit)[/size]
[size=medium]Buffer length 2070 ms[/size]
[size=medium]Output format 24-bit[/size]
[size=medium]Advanced Playback buffering up to (kB):1024[/size]
[size=medium]WASAPI Hardware buffer in MS – event mode : 25[/size]

FLAC/foobar/JPLAY 4.3 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > AP2/AQVOX > Black Cat Silver Star > Gungnir > Pyst XLR > Mjolnir > Moon Audio Blue Dragon 4-pin XLR > HE-500.

(woot! post 1000)

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,001 of 1,214
I ditched JPLAY and 192 worked...I read somewhere else that AP & JPLAY may not play well together.
Anyway, based upon my previous post, do the settings look okay?

Even though I've only had a few hours on it, I'm very pleased with the overall sound I'm getting. Not (over) bright at all, which was my biggest fear.
With more time I'll do some critical listening - but right now I'm enjoying the music!

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #1,003 of 1,214
Well good news, a few days after tossing JPLAY 5, 5b comes out and it works!  I now know I prefer the sound of 5b ASIO (KS, Beach, Native, 256 Samples) vs. just Audiophilleo WASAPI (event). The bass sound fuller, tight and not veiled, while the treble extends without sibilance. Sounds more real to me than before. The song that convinced me was Ry Cooder's Ganges Delta Blues from A Meeting by the River 88.2/24. End-game good now.

Feb 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #1,004 of 1,214
Quote:
The WM8805 works with it but indeed, the DIR9001 wont work with bit 28 set.

Really?

My RE-7S (DIR9001) locks on all supported sample rates (44,1 KHz; 48 KHz; 88,2 KHz; 96 KHz) with ap2 on firmware 1.27 with all bits enabled (24-27 "sample rate" bits enabled + bit 28 "level I clock" enabled).

Strange.

The Master 7 might have a different set-up. Oh well. The whole S/PDIF bit settings are new to us. Might have to investigate more.

Feb 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,005 of 1,214
Aren't bits 24-27 set to on by default?
and bit 28 is off by default.
So unless you want to block certain sampling rates, bits 24-27 should be left alone anyway.
not sure, but I think this is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back