1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audiophile Newbie, Being very picky with headphones!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by tnecniv, Jun 22, 2011.
  1. tnecniv
    Hey guys, I've been creeping the boards for the last few days researching and I can't just figure out what I want to buy. I'm not a crazy audiophile but I do appreciate good sound.

I am looking for some headphones/sets that I can use for mainly skype/ventrilo, games, and music (indie rock, acoustic, power pop, experimental).
    Requirements:

-CLOSED, I live with my girlfriend so she's always in my room and I don't want her to hear all my games and especially when my teammates on skype/vent make fun of her (lol). I also need to be able to block out outside sound so that I can hear my teammates clearly.
    -COMFORT, I have a fairly small head but I've used some headphones that made my ears lose circulation. The past 5 years I've been using Plantronics DSP-500s and I've been happy but now they are started to die. I need to be able to wear them for numerous hours at a time.
    -I will using onboard sound (Realtek ALC889), but if the headphones/set comes with an integrated USB sound card, that would be great!
    -~$120, I am flexible on the price. I want the best bang for my buck, but if there is something that meets my requirements and are phenomenal that will last me then I'm willing to push it towards $180-200.

I have been looking at: 
    Sennheiser HD-555
    Sennheiser HD-428
    Sennheiser PXC100?
    JVC Harx700
    ATH Audio Technicas A700
    Sony MDR-V6
    Looking at Sennheiser PC360s, I would love to get these but they are out my price range =\

I will also need a microphone. I've seen the Zalman clip-on mic recommended a lot, so I think I will be getting that unless you guys can convince me there are better microphones for the money.

If there's anything else I can think of I will add it in.

All of your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. Chris_Himself
    I use that Zalman mic, it works just fine. I'm not exactly singing into it haha.

HD-555's are open dude. If you haven't heard open headphones before they're not THAT open. Grados are really open cuz they're really close to your head so a lot leaks back out. I was gaming for like 5 years with 555's. Really good bass and warmth for gaming. Not really an audiophile can but a great all-around home entertainment headphone.

MDR-V6's are great. Sony makes a lot of crap, but they make a lot of good ones too.