Audiophile Newbie, Being very picky with headphones!
Jun 22, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tnecniv

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I've been creeping the boards for the last few days researching and I can't just figure out what I want to buy. I'm not a crazy audiophile but I do appreciate good sound.

I am looking for some headphones/sets that I can use for mainly skype/ventrilo, games, and music (indie rock, acoustic, power pop, experimental).
Requirements:

-CLOSED, I live with my girlfriend so she's always in my room and I don't want her to hear all my games and especially when my teammates on skype/vent make fun of her (lol). I also need to be able to block out outside sound so that I can hear my teammates clearly.
-COMFORT, I have a fairly small head but I've used some headphones that made my ears lose circulation. The past 5 years I've been using Plantronics DSP-500s and I've been happy but now they are started to die. I need to be able to wear them for numerous hours at a time.
-I will using onboard sound (Realtek ALC889), but if the headphones/set comes with an integrated USB sound card, that would be great!
-~$120, I am flexible on the price. I want the best bang for my buck, but if there is something that meets my requirements and are phenomenal that will last me then I'm willing to push it towards $180-200.

I have been looking at: 
Sennheiser HD-555
Sennheiser HD-428
Sennheiser PXC100?
JVC Harx700
ATH Audio Technicas A700
Sony MDR-V6
Looking at Sennheiser PC360s, I would love to get these but they are out my price range =\

I will also need a microphone. I've seen the Zalman clip-on mic recommended a lot, so I think I will be getting that unless you guys can convince me there are better microphones for the money.

If there's anything else I can think of I will add it in.

All of your input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 2
I use that Zalman mic, it works just fine. I'm not exactly singing into it haha.

HD-555's are open dude. If you haven't heard open headphones before they're not THAT open. Grados are really open cuz they're really close to your head so a lot leaks back out. I was gaming for like 5 years with 555's. Really good bass and warmth for gaming. Not really an audiophile can but a great all-around home entertainment headphone.

MDR-V6's are great. Sony makes a lot of crap, but they make a lot of good ones too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back