Audiophile iOS audio player
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #826 of 855
It is NOT a matter of computational power mates.
It is -almost certainly- a matter of these apps not following DoP 1.0 standard, as requested by Mojo.
See Mojo manual, page 7..."
DSD decoding
DSD playback is supported using the DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers. "
This had been brought up to iAudioGate crew attention on October the 31st.
Then the very same day I added the following "What DoP standard are you using?
I spotted this into Mojo manual "DSD playback is supported using the DoP Standard 1.0 with 0xFA / 0x05 markers.".
For those of us who don't know what this means here it is a detailed explaination.
Just to make the whole picture a little more understandable: DoP 0xFA / 0x05 markers mean that DSD 64 will be "wrapped" into a 176.4/24.
DSD128 will be similarly DoPpped via a 352.8/24.
But PCM files will be played by iAudioGate at 192/24 max.
So, iAudioGate should (may I say it would be time to do that) enable 352.8/24 and take care of following DoP 0xFA / 0x05 markers if they wish to supportDSD128 with the Mojo .
Following the same reasoning but enabling 705.6/24 -which Mojo fully supports- also DSD256 would be enabled.
It looks like your software has long lived on past laurels, given what i.e. Kaisertone or Neutron do already offer."

No news since then, which is 1/3rd of a month.
Well, I'm an IT System Analist and let me say that shouldn't I solve a problem in day one or two I'd be sacked.
hi. saw your post on this and would like your advice which is the latest hi res music player will you recommend that has DoP Standard 1.0 which suite the Mojo? i have the same problem using Onkyo HF player and i have no audio, hence i wanted to try other players into Mojo. thanks

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #827 of 855
Hello!!
I'm looking for an app with good EQ options. I think KaiserTone or NEPlayer have them, but do you know if support that EQ options over ICloud Library (ITunes Match) files?
Do you know other options supporting those files?

Thank you
Cheers

Nov 28, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #828 of 855
Many thanks to all who have posted here.

Just switched from Android after 11 years and bought my first ever iphone. The only app I miss so far is UAPP, and I was at a loss as what to replace it with. This thread was invaluable.

Went for Kaisertone and am very pleased. I still cannot deal with Neutron's 2007 UI, and I preferred the sound from Kaisertone to Onkyo and iAudiogate.

Thanks again.

Dec 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #829 of 855
Many thanks to all who have posted here.

Just switched from Android after 11 years and bought my first ever iphone. The only app I miss so far is UAPP, and I was at a loss as what to replace it with. This thread was invaluable.

Went for Kaisertone and am very pleased. I still cannot deal with Neutron's 2007 UI, and I preferred the sound from Kaisertone to Onkyo and iAudiogate.

Thanks again.

Good choice with Kaisertone. I've been using MyUra which is made by the same company. As far as I've been able to discern, it is the Kaisertone app/interface but it additionally allows you to sign into your Spotify premium account and take advantage of the precision volume control and EQ features. It is absolutely my go to app as I have both my own cd collection ripped and have been a Spotify subscriber for over 9 years.

Dec 23, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #830 of 855
PS: What I found was more than just a Draggable Button on the BAR... (kinda common - even in Spotify)
A mini visual of waveform, helps one visually "cue in" fwd or back ...better (kinda what SoundCloud looks like)

So, any thoughts for iPhone App with these? (Ideally FREE/ Gratis.. or Paid Pro - but tryable free.. but NO Subscription Leeching for every tier)

I'm also looking for exactly the same app!

So far I only found Flacbox to be able to support most of the above. But it doesn't support playing SACD ISO file which somehow I wish it will support.

Tried KaiserTone free edition and Doppler today, and it seems like they did not support SACD ISO files playback as well.

Jan 10, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #832 of 855
Hi, is there app for ios to stream qobuz via usb out 24/192 bit perfect to dac? Like usb audio player?
I haven’t found anything yet either...
I have usb audio player on android and until something similar comes to iPhone as well as usb c or the Apple lightning connection finally conform to the otg standard... IPhone, AirPods, beats... will always only be for audiophile-plebs.

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #833 of 855
Jumping into this thread as I'm looking for an iOS audiophile-quality music player for playing locally-stored music files (MP3, AAC, FLAC CD-quality, FLAC Hi-Res and ALAC mainly).

Over the last weekend I tried Vox player and HiBy player. I could transfer some test albums without any issues using Apple Music/iTunes File Share. Both apps sound fine playing directly from my iPhone via Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm headphone dongle and external USB DAC connected via CCK.

However, a show-stopper for me was the inability to read/import M3U playlist files. My two very large playlists are created in Audirvana and use relative paths for easy compatibility with music apps on Android (e.g HiBy Music, Cayin Music and UAPP). However, I was not able to read my M3U playlists in Vox or HiBy Music on iOS.

I've done a little research on Neutron Player and it may be able to import M3U playlists. However, there's no trial version. If anyone has the iOS version of Neutron Player installed, does it read M3U playlists?

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #834 of 855
Jumping into this thread as I'm looking for an iOS audiophile-quality music player for playing locally-stored music files (MP3, AAC, FLAC CD-quality, FLAC Hi-Res and ALAC mainly).

Over the last weekend I tried Vox player and HiBy player. I could transfer some test albums without any issues using Apple Music/iTunes File Share. Both apps sound fine playing directly from my iPhone via Apple's Lightning to 3.5mm headphone dongle and external USB DAC connected via CCK.

However, a show-stopper for me was the inability to read/import M3U playlist files. My two very large playlists are created in Audirvana and use relative paths for easy compatibility with music apps on Android (e.g HiBy Music, Cayin Music and UAPP). However, I was not able to read my M3U playlists in Vox or HiBy Music on iOS.

I've done a little research on Neutron Player and it may be able to import M3U playlists. However, there's no trial version. If anyone has the iOS version of Neutron Player installed, does it read M3U playlists?

To answer my own question, Neutron does everything I needed it to do. It cost around 10 GBP from the App Store. In summary, my requirements were:

1. Audiophile-grade iOS music player for local files (MP3, AAC, FLAC CD-quality, FLAC Hi-Res and ALAC mainly)
2. Ability to transfer a nested set of music folders with no change
3. Ability to read M3U playlist files with no changes
4. Ability to connect to external USB DACs
5. Excellent sound quality

I maintain my 'master' music library on my iMac and it is organised as follows:

MyMusic
---| <Artist1>
------| <Album1>
---------| <Track1>
---------| <Track2>
------| <Album2>
---------| <Track1>
---------| <Track2>
---| <Artist2>
------| <Album1>
---------| <Track1>
---------| <Track2>
------| <Album2>
---------| <Track1>
---------| <Track2>

And so on.

The folder structure also contains a couple of very large M3U playlist files (generated through Audirvana). I copy this folder structure to all of my audio devices (mainly Android and sometimes a Raspberry Pi). It was only my iPhone that I didn't have a solution for.

I didn't want to have to change anything to get these music files onto my iPhone and M3U playlist support was essential. Copying the directory structure over to my iPhone was straightforward using File Share, but I did it in batches as there were over 260 folders for just the artists, and each artist had potentially multiple album directories.

Once the music was copied over, I copied the M3U playlists over too. I had to refresh the playlists in Neutron and both were recognised. Playback is fine and Neutron also interfaced with my external USB DAC (iFi hip dac, for example). I have not changed any configuration settings in Neutron so far, so this is the kind of software that I like: it just works.

I hope that helps if anyone needs to do the same thing.

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #835 of 855
After switching back to iPhone, I subscribed to Vox Premium, not for the EQ but for the unlimited cloud storage for my music. Almost 3 TB (all my CDs ripped) available anywhere I am. The UI is kind of weird but you can control the player with your Apple Watch too. Apple USB dongle + Dragonfly Cobalt (waiting for the THX Onyx to arrive). Why bother with a DAP? :)

Apr 27, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #836 of 855
After switching back to iPhone, I subscribed to Vox Premium, not for the EQ but for the unlimited cloud storage for my music. Almost 3 TB (all my CDs ripped) available anywhere I am. The UI is kind of weird but you can control the player with your Apple Watch too. Apple USB dongle + Dragonfly Cobalt (waiting for the THX Onyx to arrive). Why bother with a DAP? :)
I had a play with Vox yesterday. I probably would have kept it and paid for Premium if it handled M3U. Its UI is nicer than Neutron's. However Neutron ticked an essential box for me.

I'm also waiting for my Onyx to arrive and can't wait to test it out with my iPhone.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #837 of 855
I've installed Vox a number of times and I don't think it's happening again. Can't comment on the cloud component, but I had two gripes with its use as an offline player: 1) v weird positioning of the app, with the iPhone notch essentially eating up screen real estate that hosts album art, and 2) songs not showing in the app despite being on the phone (my testing led me to believe it's because of a limit to the number of songs Vox can display on app).

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #838 of 855
Anyone store there music in iCloud and play it from there?

Jan 25, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #839 of 855
Sorry for the thread revival, but are there any audio IOS apps that do not convert to PCM 44.1 when connected to USB DAC? Also need ability to stream music from NAS

Mar 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #840 of 855
The more I think about offline audio on the iPhone, the more I'm led to believe iTunes is the best option really. If one doesn't mind the 48 khz syncing limit of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back