Audiophile iOS audio player
Jan 31, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #722 of 855
What is a good ios music player for someone who uses iPhone as just a transport.
Not worried about features like EQ and DSD support. Just need to bit perfect output my flacs and mp3 to external DACs
A good interface and iPad compatibility is a bonus

Jan 31, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #723 of 855
… I wonder if the Apple Music app has the best audio quality then other apps, what do you think?

I bought KaiserTone and I thought it was "better", but now don't know... maybe not (a bit flat (?) compared to the Apple Music app without EQ).

Feb 10, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #727 of 855
Ok, thanks. And weird, as there is definitely something not right in my user scenario - iphone se / kaisertone / inear - and other players don't exhibit the same behaviour. In my case I run dynamic+cyberfort and everything else is turned off, have done so for a long time. And I have tested latest update with different inears, the problem persists.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #728 of 855
What is a good ios music player for someone who uses iPhone as just a transport.
Not worried about features like EQ and DSD support. Just need to bit perfect output my flacs and mp3 to external DACs
A good interface and iPad compatibility is a bonus

Astell & Kern AK Connect 2 and Onkyo HF player, both are in app store.

Onkyo HF is good for lossless tracks that are stored on your iphone, you have to add them to your phone via itunes on a computer, you then goto apps, select Onkyo HF player and then drag your music over to Onkyo HF player and once done sync your phone with your computer. all your lossless music can be played via the app, but its best to have a seperate dac/amp as you wont get the benefit out of your music if you just plug in earphones to your phones 3.5mm or lightning ports.

8 player pro is another.

Feb 11, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #730 of 855
So, I tried it again:

Is KaiserTone such that "good"? Do you use the EQ "iTunes Bit Perfect"?

I would appreciate your opinions!

Never used such EQ. As a matter of facts I'm prone thinking that EQing is pretty much useless in my case (and eventually in the great majority of cases).
I typically purchase HD masters, either PCM or DSD, then I make use of iZotope to address any lack or drawback in each and every track if PCM. If DSD, I never get DSD64 for obvious reasons (noise shaping slope chiming in too early) and I always convert it to equivalent PCM bitrate/bitdepth and address any possible issue with iZotope.
If I'm dealing with my long-timers CDs (44/16) the process is just the same, with the upsampling to 352.8/32 being the very first step. To mention one: "Down The Way" by Angus & Julia Stone had been brought (back) to ecceptional levels, this way.

Addressed the tracks' intrinsic issues which may be clipping, spurious frequencies, tape hiss (DSD from tape masters), sibilants etc etc comes the time for listening.
If I'm in detailed and flat sound rendition mode I simply use the proper IEM combination. If I'm hunting for a more relaxed sound I go with RHA T20 and neutral filter. If I want a very good combination of both worlds then it is the proper time for my Oppo PM3 with Lavricable silver cable + high performance jacks. Finally I have the choice among Mojo alone or with Fostex HP-V1.

In the end: I use kaiser or Neutron, but none of them with any DSP whatsoever as my stance is that if I should ever resort to DSP I would be 100% sure about having left some homework behind AND I could NOT blame Kaiser (or any other well done player like Neutron) for that, but only myself.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #732 of 855
@daberti: In KaiserTone ‘EQ mode’ setting isn’t ‘Method’ and ‘Algorithm’ actually DSP-settings? Did you find a way to turn these off?

From main screen just set EQ to off. All that simple.
Everything susceptible of (and actually) changin' the bitperfect rendition of an audio file is DSP. Oversampling, EQ, clipping prevention, noise reduction, software managed pre-ampli level, cut-off frequencies and their dB/Oct settings and so on. Their respective settings can be placed and spread under many different places but the rationale does NOT change.

In general we all (count me in) should be aware about the fact that our devices are NOT almighty 8x latest gen. Xeon (or equivalent) CPU with 256GB Ram. Neither we've to miss the FACT that conscious, skilled and hnourable developers like the ones of Kaiser and Neutron do spend hours on each and every single line of code to deliver to us such highly optimized applications, that will make use of our devices' potential until the last possible droplet of hardware.
BUT it stands upon us the burden to feed these applications with audio files properly inspected and "engineered" in the way I said above.
Their DSP capabilities are there for ease of use, for the ones who can't afford programs like iZotope and still are aware that i.e. clipping is a potential problem. But DSP is an additional burden for Smartphones and we have to bear that in mind.
As always there ain't free lunch.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #734 of 855
Whether EQ Off or not the two mentioned settings in EQ Mode still affect the sound, and there is no way to avoid/deselect it as far as I can see, hence my question.

So I missed your question alltogether.
Please describe it again :)

EDIT: If your EQ is now OFF you should go to Settings->EQ mode and disable Noise Reduction, Flexible HD, Silence Detection, Low Cut Filter, High Cut Filter. To be done with your DAC connected and on. Check also the two bottom voices: Output Max (must be matching with your DAC) and DSD to PCM.
While we're at it...
Under settings->Digital Output check DSD over PCM if you've i.e. a Mojo and deselect Up Sampling
Get back to Main Screen. Close Kaiser. Start Kaiser.
Note: DAC must be connected and on BEFORE Kaiser will be started (or Neutron FWIW).

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #735 of 855
In 'EQ Mode' setting you have 'Method' with 4 alternative settings: Dynamic, Sharp, SuperClear, and UltraClear. You have 'Algorithm' with 2 settings: Decibel and CyberFort.

Even if you choose 'EQ Off' on main screen, your choice of Method and Algorithm will still affect the sound. Every other option can be turned off, just not these two.

I don't know, but assume these two also perform DSP, if that is the case you can't really turn off DSP completely in KaiserTone.

My question was if you had found a way to disable the two settings?

IMG_2898.jpg

Edit: I only output to headphones on my iPhone SE, so don't use external DAC

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back