Audiophile iOS audio player
Oct 30, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #256 of 855
lol.i also buy apps not ask app for free in exchange of review.

I am not so popular reviewer ;so that developer need my views.
biggrin.gif

If you guys think i am promoting new apps;ok fine i will stay out of this thread. By the way i am no way relate to this chinese developer.
Though there are lot of apps;you can try .
i am not forcing anyone to change their views.Earlier i posted free one;when you guys ask for dsd i have given paid app link.
I just don't simply trust the feedback of reviewer in the forum in exchange of free software ... I buy every Single piece of app myself..

Oct 31, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #259 of 855
Since many seem to be using Mojo (apologies to those who aren't for the possible mini-hijack), can we make a list of iOS side-loading player apps (via iTunes syncing App interface) which will feed truly bit perfect data to Mojo via CCK?

I believe Onkyo HF player will (with all up-/re-sampling options turned off)? And it sounds like Kaisertone and iAudioGate will as well? Others? Foobar (love this UI, esp. folder browsing option)?

Might be good to have a comprehensive list so Mojo-ers can narrow the field of apps to try/purchase. If the transport data is the same, i.e. bit perfect, then it's just a matter of finding the one with the interface/features one likes best (formats, streaming service support, etc.).

[edit] Right? Or is there more to structuring "bit perfect" transport data than I'm understanding (i.e. some player app are more perfect than others)?

Humbly,
--Geoff

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #260 of 855
Geoff,

Below is a summation of a review I posted on this thread back in July of the five most popular applications available in the App Store for playing higher resolution music on an iDevice through a Chord Mojo:

Okay after three days and too many comparisons I have settled on an application. I tested Neutron Player, KaiserTone, iAudiogate, Onkyo HF Player and NePlayer (~$70 in app purchases). Please realize I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation just as a digital storage device feeding my Chord Mojo DAC/Amp then analog into the Shure KSE1500. As I stated above, considering I am just using the iPod Touch as a digital transport, I was surprised by the variance in the sound from each app. Let me begin by briefly explaining why I did not like the others before I pick a winner.

Neutron Player was out because it output all my files at 16/44.1 and I could not figure how to get a bit perfect signal. KaiserTone is out because it is a bit flat and lacks the musicality of the others. iAudiogate sounds a touch too warm and the soundstage was compressed/congested compared to all the others. Onkyo HF Player has the worst user interface but the sound was a close second to the winner.

I do not think any of the apps tested with the exception of Neutron (downsampling problem) would be a poor choice as I have learned it is all about synergy with your personal rig and tastes.

The winner is NePLAYER. It may seem artificially bright at first blush but that is a misperception. It is like the first time I used an aftermarket silver cable and thought the sound was bright. NePlayer has so much detail and clarity that I misperceived the sound as too bright. The bass hits just as deep and impactful as the other apps but with the clarity and details the others lacked.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #261 of 855
Thanks for re-surfacing this. Had read it initially but missed that you were trying to go bit perfect (since there were impressions of different players' sound signatures). Clearly there is more to "bit perfect" than simply streaming the data out through the Lightning port. Different applications that light up Mojo's LEDs correctly from track to track (varied sample rates known to be correct) do indeed sound consistently different. Hmm...

Anyway, thanks, I haven't tried NePlayer but Onkyo seems to be the most "ruler flat" of the claimed bit perfect apps that I've tried so far (obviously trying players with different sounds is fun but I want at least the option to listen to just my DAC, esp. considering Rob Watts' design goals for Mojo).

I'll add that I really, really want iOS Foobar2000 to do bit perfect properly, best UI (that I've found for me) and it has folder browse.

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #262 of 855
Thanks for re-surfacing this. Had read it initially but missed that you were trying to go bit perfect (since there were impressions of different players' sound signatures). Clearly there is more to "bit perfect" than simply streaming the data out through the Lightning port. Different applications that light up Mojo's LEDs correctly from track to track (varied sample rates known to be correct) do indeed sound consistently different. Hmm...

Anyway, thanks, I haven't tried NePlayer but Onkyo seems to be the most "ruler flat" of the claimed bit perfect apps that I've tried so far (obviously trying players with different sounds is fun but I want at least the option to listen to just my DAC, esp. considering Rob Watts' design goals for Mojo).

I'll add that I really, really want iOS Foobar2000 to do bit perfect properly, best UI (that I've found for me) and it has folder browse.

Please be aware the differences between the apps were subtle and could be partially a function of the transient response of the electrostatic earphones. But as I stated, I was surprised there was any differences as my iPod Touch is functioning solely as a digital transport with the Mojo doing the heavy lifting.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #263 of 855
Geoff,

Below is a summation of a review I posted on this thread back in July of the five most popular applications available in the App Store for playing higher resolution music on an iDevice through a Chord Mojo:

Okay after three days and too many comparisons I have settled on an application. I tested Neutron Player, KaiserTone, iAudiogate, Onkyo HF Player and NePlayer (~$70 in app purchases). Please realize I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation just as a digital storage device feeding my Chord Mojo DAC/Amp then analog into the Shure KSE1500. As I stated above, considering I am just using the iPod Touch as a digital transport, I was surprised by the variance in the sound from each app. Let me begin by briefly explaining why I did not like the others before I pick a winner.

Neutron Player was out because it output all my files at 16/44.1 and I could not figure how to get a bit perfect signal. KaiserTone is out because it is a bit flat and lacks the musicality of the others. iAudiogate sounds a touch too warm and the soundstage was compressed/congested compared to all the others. Onkyo HF Player has the worst user interface but the sound was a close second to the winner.

I do not think any of the apps tested with the exception of Neutron (downsampling problem) would be a poor choice as I have learned it is all about synergy with your personal rig and tastes.

The winner is NePLAYER. It may seem artificially bright at first blush but that is a misperception. It is like the first time I used an aftermarket silver cable and thought the sound was bright. NePlayer has so much detail and clarity that I misperceived the sound as too bright. The bass hits just as deep and impactful as the other apps but with the clarity and details the others lacked.

I have the same group of apps as yours..yeah my top pick is still NePlayer

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #264 of 855

Did you try to play DSD256 ?

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #265 of 855
Please be aware the differences between the apps were subtle and could be partially a function of the transient response of the electrostatic earphones. But as I stated, I was surprised there was any differences as my iPod Touch is functioning solely as a digital transport with the Mojo doing the heavy lifting.

Right, I was also surprised by this. My understanding is that bits are bits. Makes me think something inside of iOS necessitates resampling (even if it's possible to resample back to the file's native rate to send out). It should just be a pure data stream read from the storage (a simple serial/protocol operation, one would think). Spoke with Chord about this and was told the two apps they use the most are Onkyo and Ampliflac (which, almost no matter how good it may sound, I can't quite bring myself to try because of the UI). Will try NePlayer. Thanks again.

Nov 1, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #266 of 855
Right, I was also surprised by this. My understanding is that bits are bits. Makes me think something inside of iOS necessitates resampling (even if it's possible to resample back to the file's native rate to send out). It should just be a pure data stream read from the storage (a simple serial/protocol operation, one would think). Spoke with Chord about this and was told the two apps they use the most are Onkyo and Ampliflac (which, almost no matter how good it may sound, I can't quite bring myself to try because of the UI). Will try NePlayer. Thanks again.

Unfortunately, I tried Foobar2000 and it is out as it downsamples everything to 16/44.1. It sound nice in the brief audition I gave it but I, like you, insist on bit perfect output.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #268 of 855
Unfortunately, I tried Foobar2000 and it is out as it downsamples everything to 16/44.1. It sound nice in the brief audition I gave it but I, like you, insist on bit perfect output.

I recently downloaded foobar2000 mobile and was hoping to make it my primary player since I use foobar2000 on my desktop. I just tested what you stated regarding down sampling. My DAC shows that 24/192 file was played back by foobar2000 mobile as 32/44.1. That's just bizarre.

So disappointing. I was suspicious of what it was doing when I first downloaded it because it did not show either the file's or the output's format.

I guess I'll be sticking to iAudioGate for the foreseeable future. I just wish they would incorporate a folder structure view. Why is that so hard? So far, foobar2000 is the only one that has this, but it's missing something even more important...

Nov 1, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #269 of 855
I'm in love with mobile (iOS) Foobar's UI! Especially that it has folder browsing and landscape mode for Now Playing (I have an iPhone 7+). Wish it would do bit perfect. There is a forum for support/bugs/wishlist/etc.: http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/  It seems to have good traffic and a responsive developer. Let them know this needs to be fixed asap (I have)! A "bit perfect' radio button would be great too, like a macro to turn off all resampling/EQ/ReplayGain/etc., gray everything else out and just send the bare bits direct to the DAC, let the DAC handle it from there (like my old Rotel IA -- it had a 'Source Direct' switch which would bypass the treble/bass/balance controls for a purer signal :)...

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #270 of 855
No, unfortunately or fortunately for my library the highest resolution for progressive rock bands I like is 96/24 so that is the highest resolution of albums I own. Sorry.

So..I did that check and as expected it DOES NOT play via DoP DSD256 with Mojo.

So the Group is narrowing:
Onkyo does not play even DSD128
iAudioGate the same
nePlayer plays DSD128 but NOT DSD256.

Should I need to suggest the name of the only two apps capable of playing DSD256?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back