Audio-Technica M50S vs Philips Uptown
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vabes

New Head-Fier
Hey,

So I'm kind of battling between these two, I don't know which one to pick.
I need a portable and comfy pair of headphones with a good sound quality, I know there has been some talk between these two pairs, but noone has really given a clear answer.. atleast I haven't found any, expect a review of uptowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWJ8Xeve5_o&feature=player_embedded#!

But I don't want only to rely on that video, so I'm asking for any opinions or experiences of these two headsets.
I can pick the Philips uptowns for about 100 euros, M50S's will cost me nearly 150 euros.

I was also thinking of Crossfade M-80 Shadow/Crossfade LP2 which seem to be extremely portable.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 15
I just recieved the Uptown this morning, i'll tell you how it compares to the M50 tonight.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #5 of 15
inital impression , uptown is esaier to listen to compared to m50. m50 is loud and bass heavy, has more potential if you can adjust the EQ right. uptown is more comfortable, it sounds very soft and enjoyable like a senhaiiser.

have you thought about HD25-l l ?  

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 15
I own both, and here's what I think.

M50 wins: Bass response, durability, treble response (it's a bit less bright than the Uptowns), portability (foldable, come with a nice case, coiled cable), isolation.

Uptown wins: Soundstage, mids, cosmetic appearance, driving ease, comfort.

Both sound nice, and are fairly neck-and-neck. It just boils down to which headphone best meets your needs.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 15
I like my headphones a little warmer and bassier than neutral and I think the Uptowns are fantastic.  I could maybe use a touch more tightness to the bass, but all in all, I think they're great.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:
I like my headphones a little warmer and bassier than neutral and I think the Uptowns are fantastic.  I could maybe use a touch more tightness to the bass, but all in all, I think they're great.

Yeah, the Uptowns really do have a nice, warm sound to them. There's a bit of sibilance in both of their trebles, and both could be best described as "V-shaped". The M50's lack of soundstage, though, made it difficult for me to really enjoy them as much as I should. Having said that, if you don't "baby" your stuff, they're an awesome set to have.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #10 of 15
M50s or M-80s (of these two I'd pick the M-80s - better soundstage, more portable and more balanced across the spectrum). I was not impressed with the Uptowns sound-wise nor did I find the isolation to be that great. Depending on your head size/shape it's also tougher to get a seal on the Uptowns IME.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
M50s or M-80s (of these two I'd pick the M-80s - better soundstage, more portable and more balanced across the spectrum). I was not impressed with the Uptowns sound-wise nor did I find the isolation to be that great. Depending on your head size/shape it's also tougher to get a seal on the Uptowns IME.

I also have the feeling there might be some variability between users regarding the seal on the Uptowns. For example, they didn't really sound particularly warm or bassy to me at all like others have described. They had good clarity and the bass was quite tight and very controlled, and the mids even sounded like they had an upward tilt by just a touch with certain recordings, compared to my ideal AD2000s that is. When I pushed the cups against my head a little though, they did actually become noticeably warmer and bassier. The bass also wasn't as tight when I did this. Additionally the soundstage lost all its magic, not that it totally disappeared or anything though. Ironically, with my possibly imperfect seal, they sounded much much better to me. I even could have lived with slightly less bass.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Hey,

So I'm kind of battling between these two, I don't know which one to pick.
I need a portable and comfy pair of headphones with a good sound quality, I know there has been some talk between these two pairs, but noone has really given a clear answer.. atleast I haven't found any, expect a review of uptowns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWJ8Xeve5_o&feature=player_embedded#!

But I don't want only to rely on that video, so I'm asking for any opinions or experiences of these two headsets.
I can pick the Philips uptowns for about 100 euros, M50S's will cost me nearly 150 euros.

I was also thinking of Crossfade M-80 Shadow/Crossfade LP2 which seem to be extremely portable.

Is noise isolation a factor? If I carry these outside, for me it is. When it comes to noise isolation:
Uptowns (fantastic) > M50 > M80 (mediocre) 

The Uptowns did sound a tad bright but EQ can fix that. I liked it overall more than the m50. However, the M50 is more easily portable since they fold. The Uptowns and m80 need to be carried, kinda. Well actually the m80s comes with a sexy case so no problem there. The noise isolation is supposedly really mediocre on it though. 

I'd get the Uptowns mainly due to three things: looks, noise isolation, and soundstage. Oh I also forgot: price. 

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 15
I don't think Uptown and M50 are good deals at 100 and 150 euros, $65 and $110 would be fair.

Hows is Denon 1100 or 1000 priced in your area?

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #14 of 15
What? I found the M50's isolating better than the Uptowns. If I were to carry them outside, I'd pick the M50's almost anyday. They're foldable and that's a huge plus. Especially if you live in an urban sprawl (I live in Hong Kong). It's just pointless to bring my Uptowns around with me unless I'm going....uptown. 

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #15 of 15
2 days after. My M50 beats Uptown in every aspect, except comfort maybe. Most noticeable, Uptown is much much harder to drive, I had to up the volume to 50 on the Fiio-E7 for Uptown to get even with M50 set to 37.

PS. And it would not work with my Sony android phone, says "accessory not supported".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back