Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jun 27, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #16 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always wondered why people don't claim them to be like the HE-90 and OII as all arounders. They always associate the L3000s with rock. Do they also do classical, jazz and everything else well?

I'm really liking the L3000 with bop and free jazz (the imaging on the L3000 is really, really good). I haven't listened to much classical yet, but I'll get to it.

But for jazz and classical I prefer a huge soundstage that only the K1000 can offer.

I don't think an all in one headphone exists for me.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #17 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Su_Root /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NOOOOOOO!
Way to go and tempt me sooo much. Im a prog-metal guy aswell.
Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, etc, etc.

frown.gif
Now i want to hear them lol.

Anyways stay cool and enjoy. Way to go and make me want some now.
lambda.gif

I just want to help ease your pain... I also used to feel the way you do now about the L3000. Then I heard it at a meet, along with the GS1K, RS1, RS2, PS1 and HP1. I can safely say that by far my favorite was the HP1 and I also listen to prog metal.

The fact that the HP1 is cheaper is only icing on the cake.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #19 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to help ease your pain... I also used to feel the way you do now about the L3000. Then I heard it at a meet, along with the GS1K, RS1, RS2, PS1 and HP1. I can safely say that by far my favorite was the HP1 and I also listen to prog metal.

The fact that the HP1 is cheaper is only icing on the cake.

Thanks, I'll look into it more. Ive got some more time before i go and take a plunge on more expensive headphones. Ive just started getting into the audio thing and I'll look around some more.

I just dont want to be left out.
580smile.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #21 of 191
Oh and Su Root, in case you didn't know... the HP-2 is exactly the same as the HP-1 sonically, it just doesn't have the polarity switches, which are unnecessary (unless for recording or something) to begin with. And it's cheaper still than the HP-1.

But when I say cheap, don't get your hopes up
smily_headphones1.gif

The L3000 is ~$2400

The Hp-1 and HP-2 run for about $900-$1800 depending on condition and the cable and if the box and original paperwork is included and such...

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #22 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really liking the L3000 with bop and free jazz (the imaging on the L3000 is really, really good). I haven't listened to much classical yet, but I'll get to it.

But for jazz and classical I prefer a huge soundstage that only the K1000 can offer.

I don't think an all in one headphone exists for me.

Yeah, I guess I'm just hoping against hope. Lately, I've been dreaming about finding one headphone that will nail it for me, but I should know that that's not going to happen.

Su_root: Don't feel left out. Your wallet will suffer here with that thinking. With all the top teir headphones, there will be different flavors... but that doesn't mean you will have the same preference. So, read up but don't feel like you are missing anything. Trust me the law of diminishing returns get pretty heavy after the Senn HD580.

Jun 27, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #23 of 191
Congrtas J-Pak, enjoy them.

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #26 of 191
Quote:

"....My next amp for low Z headphones will hopefully be a custom built transformer coupled amp using either 45s or 2A3s. And something similar as an integrated amp for the K1000..."

Why getting into transformer coupled amps, while you can have now some OTL more cleaner sounding amps that will drive the low Z hepadhones with authority (Zana Deux for example)???
As Dr. Gilmore, and others audio designers agree, the transformers belong to the PSU and nowhere else...of course there are cases in which you do not have any other choise, but in this case you now do...

Quote:

Yeah the HP-1000 series (HP-1, HP-2, HP-3) are pretty darn good for rock. Particularly when it's recorded well.

I was listening today the whole day King Crimson, one of your favorite bands, and trust me that you need to try the Edition 9 with them...if you listen them with the Edition, not sure if you ever will look at the Grados later on...

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 191
Congrats, J-Pak.

Seems you are suffering from a wealth of new headphone aquisitions lately. Enjoy.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #29 of 191
Thanks for the reassurance guys, Im new to the whole audiophile thing and I guess ill have to take it step by step and enjoy it as i go. Ill get to the HP-1000 series yet if my audio hobby is anything like my previous hobbies. I like being able to take my upgrades a step at a time. Its more fun that way.
lambda.gif

Sorry to get off topic on your thread J-Pak.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #30 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I guess I'm just hoping against hope. Lately, I've been dreaming about finding one headphone that will nail it for me, but I should know that that's not going to happen.

Su_root: Don't feel left out. Your wallet will suffer here with that thinking. With all the top teir headphones, there will be different flavors... but that doesn't mean you will have the same preference. So, read up but don't feel like you are missing anything. Trust me the law of diminishing returns get pretty heavy after the Senn HD580.

Rob I listened to some Kronos Quartet, Mahler and Shostakovich. They're good for classical but again I prefer the K1000 because of the soundstage. The imaging on the L3000 is very good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why getting into transformer coupled amps, while you can have now some OTL more cleaner sounding amps that will drive the low Z hepadhones with authority (Zana Deux for example)???
As Dr. Gilmore, and others audio designers agree, the transformers belong to the PSU and nowhere else...of course there are cases in which you do not have any other choise, but in this case you now do...

I was listening today the whole day King Crimson, one of your favorite bands, and trust me that you need to try the Edition 9 with them...if you listen them with the Edition, not sure if you ever will look at the Grados later on...

You're right I need to hear a really high end OTL amp. But it's my understanding high quality transformers will have an easier time driving low Z loads. Of course it drives up the price of the amp a lot.

As for the UE9 after talking to people I trust I don't think it's a headphone for me. Who knows I'll have to hear it to believe it.

"not sure if you ever will look at the Grados later on" - that's quite a strong statement because I got into headphones with the SR-60 and I will always unconditionally love the Grado sound.

Thank you for the comments on the pictures. They pale in comparison to most peoples' photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back