Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jun 27, 2007 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 191

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
rockgod5.jpg

rockgod4.jpg

rockgod1.jpg

rockgod7.jpg

rockgod3.jpg

rockgod2.jpg

rockgod6.jpg

4.jpg

I got them this morning and have not been disappointed. I would have to agree with mulveling that they're the "king of rock music"

They just sound fantastic, great tight bass, big dynamics, silky smooth detailed midrange. More impressions later.

I'm seriously pulling out all my CDs; it's really, really hot today but that's not going to stop me
cool.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 191
Well one things for sure, they sure look unique. Nice pictures.

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #6 of 191
J-Pak has an impressive arsenal. He keeps getting to die for gear. =T

When are you going to upgrade the Melos into a Gold or beyond?

Jun 27, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When are you going to upgrade the Melos into a Gold or beyond?

I don't think I ever will be. Mainly because of reliability issues with the photentiometer.

My next amp for low Z headphones will hopefully be a custom built transformer coupled amp using either 45s or 2A3s. And something similar as an integrated amp for the K1000.

edit: oh yes this should be mentioned: on my setup the bass is quite balanced. It has a lot of bass impact (kickdrums sound better than all my other headphones including the CD3000) but has less bass than a stock DT770/80pro. The bass is a bit more than the HD650 in quantity (but much tighter and textured).

My DAC is quite dynamic, combine that with these headphones and it makes for a very enjoying listen. I'm also very picky about the midrange and these headphones nail it. Electric guitars just sound so sweet and crunchy. I'd take my K1000 over them for female vocals, but male vocals sound great.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 191
Wow those look really really nice. I hope you enjoy them and dont let the heat stop you from it.
Turn on the A/C or find a fan somewhere and plant yourself near it.

What kind of music have you been listening to with them (artist wise) because that description of "crunchy guitars" sounds awesome.
lambda.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 191
The treble recession AND roll-off on l3000 do not bother you? Cause that was one of the 2 of the main issues for me when I heard it out of various amplifiers.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #11 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Su_Root /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow those look really really nice. I hope you enjoy them and dont let the heat stop you from it.
Turn on the A/C or find a fan somewhere and plant yourself near it.

What kind of music have you been listening to with them (artist wise) because that description of "crunchy guitars" sounds awesome.
lambda.gif

My favorite bands include Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, NIN, Circle, Dungen, Boris, and Isis. But I love jazz and avantgarde/experimental music too.

Oh yes I did move all my equipment to the living room where the central air is much stronger
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The treble recession AND roll-off on l3000 do not bother you? Cause that was one of the 2 of the main issues for me when I heard it out of various amplifiers.

They're definitely darker, akin to the HD650s signature. But I don't find the treble rolled off. There is no upper midrange spike (that I found annoying with the W5000 and SR-404).

To make sure I used some test tones generated with Audacity and I'm hearing clear into the 17-18 KHz region.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on obtaining your L3000s' and welcome to the fold. They still do remain as of my favorite set cans that I own.

Thanks. I see a long and rewarding relationship in my future
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 191
Congrats Jpak. Glad they are working out.

Look forward to more impressions and comparisons.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 191
So beautiful..
Really nice and clear pictures too, thanks for taking them.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #14 of 191
NOOOOOOO!
Way to go and tempt me sooo much. Im a prog-metal guy aswell.
Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, etc, etc.

frown.gif
Now i want to hear them lol.

Anyways stay cool and enjoy. Way to go and make me want some now.
lambda.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 191
I've always wondered why people don't claim them to be like the HE-90 and OII as all arounders. They always associate the L3000s with rock. Do they also do classical, jazz and everything else well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back