Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jul 18, 2007 at 8:39 AM Post #181 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass on the L3000 is almost as big as the ED.9 but to my ears, more natural sounding. I found the Ed.9 bass a bit too overdone for my taste and I can't get around the midrange.

Thanks Purk. I appreciate your impressions. What did you feel was wrong wit hthe midrange? Have you heard some well burned in ED9? I found listening to a sine sweep when they were new that they were up and down all over the place in the mids and highs. Has settled down almost completely now (maybe 300 hrs) but still not a dead straight line up top.

Jul 18, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #182 of 191
Quote:

Thanks Purk. I appreciate your impressions. What did you feel was wrong wit hthe midrange? Have you heard some well burned in ED9? I found listening to a sine sweep when they were new that they were up and down all over the place in the mids and highs. Has settled down almost completely now (maybe 300 hrs) but still not a dead straight line up top.

The midrange is slightly recessed and cold to my taste. It definitely was not as good as the L3000 and couple notches down from the R10. Infact, I prefer the midrange on the HD-650 w/ Zu more than the Ed.9. That pair of Ed.9 is definitely had more than 350 hours on them. The midrange of the Ed.9 is not bad by any mean but I just happen to prefer the midrange on my R10, L3000, and HD-650 w/ Zu over the Ed. 9.

Jul 18, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #184 of 191
I find the L3000 mids to be one of the best I've heard. I thought the PS-1 had great mids but the L3000 has better timbre on vocals as well as everything else. The PS-1 was liquidly smooth and a pleasure to listen to but the L3000 has more weight behind it. You can almost feel a reverberation.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #185 of 191
It is interesting to read all these descriptions of the sound. I am absolutely useless at describing these things, I'm about at the "me like" or "me not like" stage and the L3000's that I have now had for 2 years are absolutely at the top of "me like". I got them to replace a pair of Headphile woodied and recabled HD650's that I also liked but since I mainly use them at night in bed with my wife next to me that was a no go so I was lucky to pick up a pair and sell the HD650's

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #186 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is interesting to read all these descriptions of the sound. I am absolutely useless at describing these things, I'm about at the "me like" or "me not like" stage and the L3000's that I have now had for 2 years are absolutely at the top of "me like". I got them to replace a pair of Headphile woodied and recabled HD650's that I also liked but since I mainly use them at night in bed with my wife next to me that was a no go so I was lucky to pick up a pair and sell the HD650's

Yeah, I'm never sure I'm describing the sound right. I can say I like the mids or the bass better but then it gets harder to explain why. For now I can say I like the overall sound of the L3000 the best for my music collection (mostly alternative rock).

I like to listen in bed for an hour or so before I have to get up for work. My wife said the PS-1 didn't bother too much but I was always worried about turning them up. I listened to the L3000 this morning at a normal level and my wife said it was much better. A lot quieter.

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #187 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm never sure I'm describing the sound right. I can say I like the mids or the bass better but then it gets harder to explain why. For now I can say I like the overall sound of the L3000 the best for my music collection (mostly alternative rock).

I like to listen in bed for an hour or so before I have to get up for work. My wife said the PS-1 didn't bother too much but I was always worried about turning them up. I listened to the L3000 this morning at a normal level and my wife said it was much better. A lot quieter.

For all things rock the L3000 is now my favorite headphones. And so far the midrange is truly top-tier and very natural in my system. "Breath of life" is definitely heard on the Steve Hoffman remasters
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #188 of 191
Quote:

Was there any area where the Ed. 9 were superior to an R10?

Bass impact comes to mind, but the R10s, once properly driven, can also be a bass monster but not to level of the Ed. 9, L3000, and PS1. The Denon D5000 is also very bass heavy but definitely not as refined as the Ed. 9, L3000, and PS1.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:12 AM Post #189 of 191
I love this rig so thought I would share it

146461.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back