Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jul 11, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #151 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you heard a K1000, properly sourced and amped, in a quiet environment, with the earspeaker swivel adjusted how you like it?

I doubt ANY headphone, even the HE90, can beat that kind of soundstage.

Unfortunately it can be beaten, the K1000 does have the widest soundstage of any of them, but it is simply crushed in terms of height and depth by the Qualia and HE90.

Congratulations on the L3000, I have to admit that it really tempts my interest. I have spent time with it, and couldn't really get into it, but I think I should give it another try based on how highly regarded it is around here.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #153 of 191
Hmm, symphonies are not my area of expertise but I also know we share some common taste in music.
evil_smiley.gif
That being said, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you. Having owned a K1000 and a Firstwatt F1 (I actually sold my F1 to 003
k1000smile.gif
) and now owning a Qualia and an excellent amp, I might be able to entertain the idea that they are competitive on the y-axis but a well fitted, well amped Qualia will absolutely dominate an equally advantaged K1000, Z-axis... and then spit in its face!
cool.gif

That being said, both are absolutely top notch headphones and have different strengths. So far I haven't seen heard the same technical ability from the L3000s but you've gotten me really curious about them.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #154 of 191
Eh, owned both. Kept the Qualias ;p That's my take, but still definitely get one and try it. Won't be hard to sell it if you end up with the same conclusion as me
smily_headphones1.gif

I definitely think it comes ALIVE with the Singlepower Maxed SDS, L3000 does, so you definitely should be more impressed than you have been in the past.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #155 of 191
For my use having a Qualia and a K1000 would be redundant (I'm not sure if I could even put up with the fit issues, both pairs, S&M, I heard had the sea-shell effect going on). I use the K1000 for jazz and classical mainly with some rock. And use the L3000 for rock and jazz. Pretty much fills everything out nicely. And I can't ever give up the K1000- they'll always be my favorite headphones, they do so much stuff so well.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #156 of 191
Yeah difference between K1000 and Qualias is that Qualias do rock quite a bit better i think. L3000s and Qualias and perhaps Ed9s hold top tier for rock phones. I suppose you can include PS-1 maybe there too but I wasn't really impressed by them, but that's just my take, obviously some people reallyyy like them!

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #157 of 191
Quote:

Thank you for proving my point that nothing I say will change anyone's opinion. It might peak someones interest here and there, but I'm not a respected enought authority here on Head-Fi for anyone to take me seriously.

However, I must say that the the Ed. 9's midrange is the most engaging and most natural sounding mid-range I've heard, which includes my L3000 and maybe my R-10. I sold the R-10 several years ago and so can't make a direct comparison. I will admit that I listen with the iPod on the Acoustic EQ setting which slightly enhances the mid-range, but don't get me started on how I haven't yet heard a better source than my iPod, and that only on either the Acoustic or Rock EQ settings.

And BTW, I bought mbratrud's L3000 and DHA3000, and I stick by my impressions.

I guess a lot of it comes down to the sound we like to hear, and on the system setup. Some people might like a soft smooth sound, and others a dynamic exciting sound. However, I don't think humans have such different hearing that if you came to my house and listened to my different systems, you would not agree that the DB770 (I never heard a DT770) goes the lowest, then the Ed. 9, and then the L3000. And if I went to your house it would be the opposite. But I could be wrong.

We certainly have very difference sonic preference then. When I had the Ed. 9 with me for 3 weeks, I also had the R10 (both versions), L3000, W2002 w/ L3000, HD-650 w/ Zu, and stock W2002 in my setup to draw a comparison. The amps used to check out the Ed. 9 were the SDS-SE, HA2002, and Maxed PPA. The setup was my modded SCD-777ES + SDS-SE or HA2002 and Alien DAC + Maxed PPA. The sound signature of the Ed.9 in my work rig was pretty much inline with my home rig. IMO, I found the Ed. 9 to have very strong bass response, which often time can draw too much attention from the rest of the music. I also felt that my L3000's bass was more balanced and went as deep but had more seemless integration to the rest of the music. Regarding the midrange, I discovered the midrange of the Ed. 9 to be slightly recessed and on the cold side. Moreover, I couldn't never get use to the Ed.9's presentation. I'm a very big fan of R10's midrange and Ed. 9 was definitely not as good as the R10's in my set up. At the end of the day, I believe the Ed.9 is top tier cans if you mainly listen to rocks, hiphops, and heavy metals but I don't think they are as impressive for vocals, jazz, and classical.

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #158 of 191
l3000portablesystemat7.jpg

So right now my summer rig consists of the Creative Zen Vision M amped by a HeadAmp AE-2, running the L3000s. I know this is far far far from the ideal, but after a weekend of listening to these, here are some of my impressions.

First, the bass. It is deeeeep and very impactful, but in no way overpowering. In fact I find the L3000's bass prowess to be exaggerated, in that they do not pound your brains like the DT770s do, but the bass quality is incredible, even on my humble set-up. It is high quality bass to the max.

The entire frequency spectrum is actually very well balanced from top to bottom. The very very top of the treble may not be as extended as my K1000 system, but I do not find that to be fault. The midrange is also very euphonic: electric guitars sound really alive on the L3000s.

The L3000s are fairly forgiving of inferior sources, but I know it can sound so much better. I'm hearing every compression artifact on my mp3s, which are mostly encoded at 192kpbs or above.

In fact I find the L3000s to be a fairly neutral headphone in that the sound is well-balanced with no specific region sticking out, and the bass/midrange/treble is continuous. I can't wait to listen to them on my home setup listed in my sig.

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:19 PM Post #159 of 191
Quote:

In fact I find the L3000s to be a fairly neutral headphone in that the sound is well-balanced with no specific region sticking out, and the bass/midrange/treble is continuous. I can't wait to listen to them on my home setup listed in my sig.

I'm glad that you like the L3000 that much. I was listening to Beck - Sea Change during the weekend w/ the L3000, SCD-1, and SDS and the combo sounds phenomenal. Don't forget to report back from your home rig.

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #160 of 191
I messed around with my two portable amps (just got a MisterX XP this morning, the other is a GoVibe5) and the L3000 do sound great with my M-Audio Transit as the source.

But they do scale a lot with my home system.

Mainly they sound very congested on the portable setup, and lacking in dynamics. Almost to the point of being muddy, but not quite.

I think you'll really find them opening up on your home setup.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #161 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but I'm not a respected enought authority here on Head-Fi for anyone to take me seriously.
I will admit that I listen with the iPod on the Acoustic EQ setting which slightly enhances the mid-range, but don't get me started on how I haven't yet heard a better source than my iPod, and that only on either the Acoustic or Rock EQ settings.
biggrin.gif

It's no wonder you are not taken seriously. The iPod is not a suitable audiophile source. That's it. End of story.

Jul 16, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #162 of 191
I just got my L3000. I just came back from a mini vacation so I haven't spent much time listening. Overall here's my impression vs the PS-1 (from memory since I have already sold them)

PS-1: more bass impact, tighter more controlled sound, liquid mids, crisper highs, more detail in highs

L3000: more texture especially in the bass and mids, bigger more precise soundstage, slightly looser, warmer, and more comfortable.

Both are great for rock but somehow I'm enjoying the L3000 more. The PS-1 has more of a studio sound while the L3000 draws you in. Maybe it's just the comfort but it think it has more to do with the texture. I also really like the soundstage. It's still close but expands out with very precise placement of all the instruments. It's almost what I think the GS1000 was trying for but everything starts too far away for me.

Anyway, I look forward to spending a lot more time with these. The PS-1 will be missed but maybe I just needed a change. I have no regrets about selling them to get the L3000.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #163 of 191
Quote:

I just got my L3000. I just came back from a mini vacation so I haven't spent much time listening. Overall here's my impression vs the PS-1 (from memory since I have already sold them)

PS-1: more bass impact, tighter more controlled sound, liquid mids, crisper highs, more detail in highs

L3000: more texture especially in the bass and mids, bigger more precise soundstage, slightly looser, warmer, and more comfortable.

Both are great for rock but somehow I'm enjoying the L3000 more. The PS-1 has more of a studio sound while the L3000 draws you in. Maybe it's just the comfort but it think it has more to do with the texture. I also really like the soundstage. It's still close but expands out with very precise placement of all the instruments. It's almost what I think the GS1000 was trying for but everything starts too far away for me.

Anyway, I look forward to spending a lot more time with these. The PS-1 will be missed but maybe I just needed a change. I have no regrets about selling them to get the L3000.

Very nice impression. When I listen to the PS-1 I thought it was an open verion of the L3000, though, I found the L3000 to have better soundstage, and more resolution and more solid image. The PS-1 is pretty amazing by itself but I wish the bass has slightly more extension and a bit less in quantity. The PS-1 and L3000 is still less bass heavy than the Ed.9 in my book.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #164 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice impression. When I listen to the PS-1 I thought it was an open verion of the L3000, though, I found the L3000 to have better soundstage, and more resolution and more solid image. The PS-1 is pretty amazing by itself but I wish the bass has slightly more extension and a bit less in quantity. The PS-1 and L3000 is still less bass heavy than the Ed.9 in my book.

The weird thing about the PS-1 is as much as a loved it's sound, I never could listen for a long extended period of time. It wasn't really fatiguing so it could have come down to just a comfort issue even though I didn't find them too uncomfortable. Although I didn't find them uncomfortable, I also didn't find them comfortable either.

Also, I put on the new Wilco album and couldn't stop listening. When I got it the other week and listened on the PS-1, it just wasn't doing it for me. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood. Who knows.

Based on just separating the sound, I'd think I'd like the PS-1 better but somehow the overall sound of the L3000 is more moving and seems more natural and enjoyable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back