Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jul 16, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #166 of 191
Thanks for the added impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk
The PS-1 and L3000 is still less bass heavy than the Ed.9 in my book.

Sounds like the Ed9s are bass monsters if that's the case.

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:53 PM Post #167 of 191
Quote:

Sounds like the Ed9s are bass monsters if that's the case.

Yes, it is....but it is a bit much for my taste.

Jul 17, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #169 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PS-1 and L3000 is still less bass heavy than the Ed.9 in my book.

No kidding! Wow, I wanted L3000 or PS-1 because of the fabled bass but settled for Ed9 instead.

I would have been disappointed with L3000 or PS-1 then.

I'm not a bass head, my home sub is set to about 10% output, I need depth and impact, but not boosted volume.

I consider the Ed9 bass to be at the same DB level as the rest of the range, I think they are pretty flat top to bottom, there are a few bumps and dips near the top (14k on up) but the very bottom only attenuates on a gentle slope below 25.

I don't think they are bass heavy in the sense that they add volume to the bass, but they certainly don't need any more. I find their bass fast too. To me it's exactly what I wanted from cans. Are they bass monsters? Depends on your definition.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #170 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No kidding! Wow, I wanted L3000 or PS-1 because of the fabled bass but settled for Ed9 instead.

I'm not a bass head, my home sub is set to about 10% output, I need depth and impact, but not boosted volume.

I consider the Ed9 bass to be at the same DB level as the rest of the range, I think they are pretty flat top to bottom, there are a few bumps and dips near the top (14k on up) but the very bottom only attenuates on a gentle slope below 25.

I don't think they are bass heavy in the sense that they add volume to the bass, but they certainly don't need any more. I find their bass fast too. To me it's exactly what I wanted from cans. Are they bass monsters? Depends on your definition.

That's the way I feel too! It's weird. I feel the Ed. 9 has far deeper, stronger, and more impactful bass than the L3000, but to me it integrates better with the music top to bottom. I guess it's just what we expect from our bass and what we like that determines if it's too much, just right, or not enough.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #171 of 191
Quote:

The bass on the L3000 is almost as big as the ED.9 but to my ears, more natural sounding. I found the Ed.9 bass a bit too overdone for my taste and I can't get around the midrange.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #172 of 191
Quote:

The bass on the L3000 is almost as big as the ED.9 but to my ears, more natural sounding. I found the Ed.9 bass a bit too overdone for my taste and I can't get around the midrange.

I can only compare the bass to the PS-1 but I find the L3000's bass to be the overall winner. The PS-1 definitely had more impact and was much tighter but was not as natural sounding. As I said, it was very professional studio sounding. It also seemed a bit too much on some songs. The L3000's bass is just a bit more relaxed and has more vibration. It also goes deeper.

The overall sound has more vibration and texture. I originally thought the PS-1 had more detail overall but I'm hearing new things with the L3000 I've never heard before. It think this is due to the great separation of instruments. I am surprised at how much I enjoy the soundstage. There seems to be a defined area but everything is focused. It can even hear all the little detail between the instruments.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #173 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only compare the bass to the PS-1 but I find the L3000's bass to be the overall winner. The PS-1 definitely had more impact and was much tighter but was not as natural sounding. As I said, it was very professional studio sounding. It also seemed a bit too much on some songs. The L3000's bass is just a bit more relaxed and has more vibration. It also goes deeper.

The overall sound has more vibration and texture. I originally thought the PS-1 had more detail overall but I'm hearing new things with the L3000 I've never heard before. It think this is due to the great separation of instruments. I am surprised at how much I enjoy the soundstage. There seems to be a defined area but everything is focused. It can even hear all the little detail between the instruments.

That is my impression exactly. The L3000's sound more natural, goes deeper, and definitely more relaxed.

Jul 17, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #174 of 191
Quote:

That is my impression exactly. The L3000's sound more natural, goes deeper, and definitely more relaxed.

It's a little more relaxed in the bass and rhythm but very energetic in the mids. I'd even say it does electric guitar better than the PS-1. The L3000 can definitely rock and is as quick as it needs to be for home listening.

The PS-1 takes the timing up a notch but still stays fun. It's just that it give everything that tight precision even when it shouldn't. This is where the PS-1 adds it's flavor to the music. It's a great flavor but not as natural as the L3000. The L3000 seems to let each album have it's own sound. Yes, there's an overall textured sound signature but it's not as dominating as the PS-1's sound signature.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #175 of 191
Quote:

For rock, jazz and female vocals I find the L3000 soundstage is perfect.

The Sennheisers are a bit too diffuse and hazy, the Grados a bit too small, but the L3000 feels like a perfect middle ground.

As for bass integration, I think it just melds in with the mids effortlessly.

I'm loving them more the more time I'm able to spend with them.

edit: I agree electric guitars sound so twangy and crunchy, the best reproduction I've heard. The midrange really is fantastic. This isn't an all for show smiley face EQ'd headphone thats for sure.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #176 of 191
Quote:

The L3000 seems to let each album have it's own sound. Yes, there's an overall textured sound signature but it's not as dominating as the PS-1's sound signature.

This is the main issue that I had with the PS-1 other than the bass getting tiresome. I felt each CD sounded the same. Good, but the same timbre. I didn't have that same issue with the HP-2.

L3000 must be wonderful on bass since that's probably 90% of what I hear when people praise them, but what about treble compared to other phones?

BDH, what do you like better and why? (ed 9 or L3000) thanks.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #177 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the main issue that I had with the PS-1 other than the bass getting tiresome. I felt each CD sounded the same. Good, but the same timbre. I didn't have that same issue with the HP-2.

L3000 must be wonderful on bass since that's probably 90% of what I hear when people praise them, but what about treble compared to other phones?

Rob, the treble on the L3000s isn't as extended at the very top as the K1000s are, but few headphones have that kind of treble extension anyways. Personally I don't feel it's rolled off, and it definitely has more sparkle than the Senns.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #178 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

At first I thought it would be an issue. It's not as clear as the PS-1 but the more I listen, the more I can hear the highs come though. I was also positioning the headphones slightly forward as first and this affected the sound. It seems to have to best sound with the cups centered over your ears. I believe the drivers are already slightly angled to give the best soundstage.

So it may be slightly less than the PS-1 but still within range that it is not a problem or noticeable after the initial adjustment.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #179 of 191
Maybe just me, but I felt the bass on the PS-1 was unbalanced on anything except for slow or light jazz. Also they had a huge midbass response but not great extension. And from owning many of them I feel the timbre on John Grado headphones is always so selective for instruments (does some exceptionally well, others terribly) which is what has always kept me away from their higher end headphones.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #180 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... it definitely has more sparkle than the Senns.

ha ha funny without realizing it this is exactly what I was asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back