Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jun 28, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #46 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I am still a great believer in the L3K's as top bass. The edition 9s have damned good bass, but there's this reverb quality to the L3K bass that sounds utterly natural.

As for the HE90 bass? I dunno, I thought it wasn't as bad as I've heard that Electrostats can be. I certainly thought it was good, but I don't know if I would try and claim it is the best.

Now, the R10 late model bass is definitely more impressive than I would have thought. Hearing it on a bass heavy track off the Apache I want to say it came close to the L3Ks... but that might have been just volume/meet conditions talking. I only heard it for a couple of minute. But still, even if I can place it at the L3K level it is no slouch.

Interesting though Jpak that you feel the L3K has a bit more bass than the HD650 (Quantity). My take is different though I am comparing balanced to single ended here, I felt the HD650s have way more on quantity but definitely lose out on quality. Perhaps it is just the balancing though. I wouldn't put it at overwhelming though.

Yeah I've heard the HD650 on a few top systems and I think the L3000 has a bit more bass.

I had a HD650 balanced in my system and it didn't really increase the bass volume, more tightened it up (even this was very slight). Still IMO they're not as textured, deep and detailed as the L3000.

I agree the L3000 have an interesting reverb (and I'll add decay) that makes bass guitars sound quite real. I play electric bass guitar and it sounds good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J-Pak & Iron_dreamer,

Congratulations...and welcome to the club. The L3000 is a very remarkable headphones. You might want to get the DHA3000 for them.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just prefer the sound of tubes, and I'd like to have an amp that suits a variety of headphones. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've been comparing the CD3000 with the L3000, will update tomorrow. So far the CD3000 isn't even in the running.

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #47 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was listening today the whole day King Crimson, one of your favorite bands, and trust me that you need to try the Edition 9 with them...if you listen them with the Edition, not sure if you ever will look at the Grados later on...

Yawn.

Someone bump the record player...it's stuck again.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #48 of 191
Wow, so many of my favorite head-fiers in the same thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also think the L3000 is well-suited to rock and high-energy music. I consider its bass the best I've heard from a headphone. The L3000's bass has incredible presence and realism that can make other good headphones seem lacking in quantity, lacking in texture or even somewhat one-note in comparison. It has body and weight and a smoothness that sounds extremely well-refined.

If someone new to headphones asks for an example of how a high-end headphone differs from iPod earbuds, the L3000 would be my first choice.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #49 of 191
After spending a few days with them I've determined these are one of the most natural sounding headphones I've had the pleasure of hearing.

I've compared them a lot with the Sony CD3000 and they don't even compare
frown.gif

The CD3000 has a sterile, toneless sound lacking any PRaT. The L3000 have been wonderful with every genre of music.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #50 of 191
Congratulations with your latest acquisition.
The L3000 sure is a great looking pair of headphones, which I would really like to hear some day.
3000smile.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 191
Quote:

After spending a few days with them I've determined these are one of the most natural sounding headphones I've had the pleasure of hearing.

I've compared them a lot with the Sony CD3000 and they don't even compare

The CD3000 has a sterile, toneless sound lacking any PRaT. The L3000 have been wonderful with every genre of music.

I agree in this regard. The L3000 is very forgiving and sounds very natural to my ears. The stock CD3000 is not in same league but the CD3000 w/ stock cable can be good but still a level or two below the CD3000.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #52 of 191
Small update:

they extend further than than the HP-2 both top and bottom. And the bass is slightly more textured and the midrange more detailed. Right now they're on par or better than the HP-2. The HP-2 has more depth to the soundstage whereas the L3000 places deep sounds slightly to the left or right instead of further out. But it still has good depth.

Acoustic bass guitar is its strong point. You can feel the vibration followed by a pleasant decay. Electric guitars also sound more exciting and more twangy. Tonality of various guitars is faithfully reproduced.

Best PRaT out of any headphone I've ever heard.

edit: hearing all my old prog albums for the first time, listening to Yes - Fragile (MFSL) and it sounds incredble
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #55 of 191
Sounds like you might have a replacement for the HP-2s
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #56 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by didwlgh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jpak, Im glad u love the cans....i knew ur initial impressions would change =)

Thanks Tim, I appreciate your feedback/emails. You have a good ear and your impressions were solid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you might have a replacement for the HP-2s
biggrin.gif

It seems that way right now, but I'd really like to keep the HP-2. I'm going to give it another month before I make my decision, as I probably won't ever find an HP-1000 in the condition mine is in.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #57 of 191
Quote:

It seems that way right now, but I'd really like to keep the HP-2. I'm going to give it another month before I make my decision, as I probably won't ever find an HP-1000 in the condition mine is in.

I would keep the HP-2 if you can afford to. I wish Grado never discontinued them. When I heard them out of Melos Sha Gold Ref, the HP-2 was very magical. Not many headphone can do rocks better than the HP-2 though.

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #58 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's probably a tough call. I gotta agree with Purk. You may not be able to find another decent HP-2. Never know, but at the same time it's tough to keep 2 headphones that you would use with the same music. I'd recommend getting used to the L3000. Every quality phone I've had made me wonder if I'd ever go back to my existing cans, and I always did go back.

Just to confuse the issue more. I prefer a very accurate "get out of the way of the music" type of phone for the most part, but many here like the lusher, Euphonic sound. You might like the PS-1 more than the HP-2. I'd give the PS-1a shot. It's a wonderful headphone. I just felt like I could hear too much of the headphone in comparison to the HP-2, but many like it better than the L3000.
evil_smiley.gif
It's not cheap but sounds similar to the HP-2 except very liquid and heavier bass. (quality bass - a bit excessive though).

Jul 2, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #59 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would keep the HP-2 if you can afford to. I wish Grado never discontinued them. When I heard them out of Melos Sha Gold Ref, the HP-2 was very magical. Not many headphone can do rocks better than the HP-2 though.

I'm listening to just the HP-2 today. Definitely enjoyable out of the Melos.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's probably a tough call. I gotta agree with Purk. You may not be able to find another decent HP-2. Never know, but at the same time it's tough to keep 2 headphones that you would use with the same music. I'd recommend getting used to the L3000. Every quality phone I've had made me wonder if I'd ever go back to my existing cans, and I always did go back.

Just to confuse the issue more. I prefer a very accurate "get out of the way of the music" type of phone for the most part, but many here like the lusher, Euphonic sound. You might like the PS-1 more than the HP-2. I'd give the PS-1a shot. It's a wonderful headphone. I just felt like I could hear too much of the headphone in comparison to the HP-2, but many like it better than the L3000.
evil_smiley.gif
It's not cheap but sounds similar to the HP-2 except very liquid and heavier bass. (quality bass - a bit excessive though).

I've heard the PS-1 a few times. Great for short term listening otherwise I felt I had to listen at very, very low volumes to enjoy them. In this case I prefer the HP-2 and RS-1.

I guess I enjoy transparent and euphonic sound equally. Probably depends on my mood and music. I think all three headphones (K1000, HP-2, L3000) get out of the way of the music.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #60 of 191
I cant find any site selling this, how much do they go for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back