Audio Technica L3000 pictures (detailed impressions at the end)
Jul 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #63 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're discontinued, I believe they can be found around $2100-2500.

[Edit]

Lol J-Pak your price window is a bit wider... $1900 is a nice price if you can find one.

I know that's what I've seen recently. Their condition/completeness plays a part in the sale price.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #65 of 191
Quote:

Which one is heavier between the HP-2/L3000 ?

The HP-2 feels slightly heavier, but I'm using a crude method of holding both and just getting a feel.

On the head the HP-2 definitely feels heavier due to the way the weight is distributed and the smaller headband. The L3000's wings take a lot of the weight off the cups.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #66 of 191
So, in a 8 hours listening marathon, would you choose the L3000 over the HP-2 no questions asked ?

Ok, I know it's kind of a dumb question !
rolleyes.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #67 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cant find any site selling this, how much do they go for?

They're "out of print" as it were...

You can only find them used... and they cost what, $2500 ?

Edit - whoops I must have had this window left open... didn't realize this one was answered so many times already
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #68 of 191
Quote:

So, in a 8 hours listening marathon, would you choose the L3000 over the HP-2 no questions asked ?

rolleyes.gif

It depends. In my listening room which is about 70F all the time the L3000 is more comfortable. They are one of the few headphones along with the Sennheisers (HD580, HD650), K1000 that just disappear.

But the pads can get hot if your room isn't cool.

Since the HP-2 is supra-aural the pressure on the earlobes makes me take a break after about 3 hours. But they're more airy and they work well even in a hot room.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #73 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I know the L3000 is great?

After a week of listening to them exclusively, a listen to the W11JPN proved to be relatively uninvolving
eek.gif

Yep....I had that experience in the past. The W11JPN is very good but the L3000 is a notch or two above in every aspect of the sound.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #74 of 191
Quote:

rolleyes.gif

I didn't need 8 hours to make up my mind on this one. I heard the HP-1 (same as HP-2) at the chicago meet and the L3000 as well. HP-1 was by FAR my favorite, hands down no questions. It just sounded so, right, and real. It is very hard to describe. The L3000 was not bad but the HP-1 was the clear winner for me. Other people may have different opinions, but the HP-1 or 2 is now the headphone I am saving up for to retire on.

I will say the L3000 was more comfortable though.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #75 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't need 8 hours to make up my mind on this one. I heard the HP-1 (same as HP-2) at the chicago meet and the L3000 as well. HP-1 was by FAR my favorite, hands down no questions. It just sounded so, right, and real. It is very hard to describe. The L3000 was not bad but the HP-1 was the clear winner for me. Other people may have different opinions, but the HP-1 or 2 is now the headphone I am saving up for to retire on.

I will say the L3000 was more comfortable though.

In my opinion you really need to hear both for a longer period of time than what you're getting at a meet.

Not to mention the ambient noise and different levels you're listening at.

As an example I thought the L3000 had quite a lot of bass when I heard them at a meet, but what I didn't realize is I had them turned up pretty loud. Now hearing them in a quiet setting I find them very balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back