Audio-Technica, Grado, AKG?
Apr 28, 2011 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kds4121

New Head-Fier
I currently own the Audio-Technica ATH-A900's and one of the 3D Wing Support cushion pieces broke off, so my money is being refunded to me.

Should I purchase the same headphones again and stick with Audio-Technica, or look into a different pair of headphones?

I listen to mainly Dance/techno/trance/house/electronic, Pop, Rock, and Hip-Hop. (A lot of the popular stuff on the radio nowadays). 

Thanks so much for all your help! 

(The only amplifier I have currently is the Fiio E5)

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 10
Based on your musical choices, I would stay away from Grado. The bass is not well suited for electronic music and hip hop. I can't speak on behalf of any AKGs, but my friend recently picked up a pair of ATH-M50s and absolutely loves with with hip hop (what he mainly listens to). I believe that the M50s are around $150 while the A900s are around $200, so if you're looking for a different style (aesthetically) you could buy the M50 and save some money. 

May 1, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Based on your musical choices, I would stay away from Grado. The bass is not well suited for electronic music and hip hop. I can't speak on behalf of any AKGs, but my friend recently picked up a pair of ATH-M50s and absolutely loves with with hip hop (what he mainly listens to). I believe that the M50s are around $150 while the A900s are around $200, so if you're looking for a different style (aesthetically) you could buy the M50 and save some money. 

X2

I would also stay away from the usual AKGs. I've never tried the DJ AKG models though. I think the Ultrasone HFI 580, PRO 550 would a be a good headphone to consider.

May 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 10
My first pair of headphones were the SR125s and I listen to mainly trance, house and techno. I never found them underwhelming in the bass department. Before then I'd consider myself a bit of a basshead but I'm not so sure anymore. :p

Out of those three brands I'd probably stick with Audio Technica from personal experience. (Owned a pair of ES7s in the past, which were great. Never tried AKGs though)

May 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm not fond of bass from AT W5000, AT ESW9, or AKG 701.

Grado HP2 bass perfectly suits just about any genre. PS1 is also no slouch in the lower frequencies. So I'd recommend getting one of these two phones.

May 9, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 10
I recently bought myself the Audio Technica M-50's and as Vikingatheart already pointed out they're great in the bass department and don't disappoint in the treble either, I think you'd really like them based on your musical preference.

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Thanks so much guys, I think I'm going to get the M50's, and a pair of Sennheiser HD-595's or Sony MDR-XB700's (probably the Sennheiser's, since the M50's already do well with the bass, and the 595's are open)

Jun 13, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Actually, I'm not so sure anymore between the Sennheiser HD-595's and the Sony MDR-XB700's... Many reviews say the M50's are just like the HD595's just better, and I'd like to have two different headphones.. What do you think? 

Jun 13, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 10
I have both the M50's and the 595's.....if you ask me, of all the cans I own the 595's are the most boring.  They are very accurate in my opinion, but they just don't make me want to listen to them.  I try to give all my cans equal listening time and when the 595's turn comes around i'm like....ehh, do i have to.

Jun 13, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I'm not fond of bass from AT W5000, AT ESW9, or AKG 701.

Grado HP2 bass perfectly suits just about any genre. PS1 is also no slouch in the lower frequencies. So I'd recommend getting one of these two phones.

You're kidding, right? Even if he can find a pair of PS1, they will be about $3500 more expensive than the ATH-A900.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back