Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Mar 21, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #166 of 343

tongue.gif

When I took it out from the box, I was surprised how light it is. Very2 light. Probably the lightest full size reference headphone I ever tried. So overall, it is very comfortable, although the cup is not as big as the comfy HD800 cup.
Build quality is good, but design wise, very utilitarian design, IMHO AD series looks a little nicer. Like R70x is saying, I'm designed by engineer for engineer. So, not aesthetically as beautiful as MSR7 or the Wooden series. But it is lighter than them, therefore more comfortable for long hours of use.

Thanks for the impressions and pics! I'm really excited for the r70x now :D

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #167 of 343

Thanks for the impressions and pics! I'm really excited for the r70x now :D

One thing that I would like to be improved from R70x is the treble transparency and detail. It is not veiled in any way, but I would like it to sound a little more transparent like my T1, while retaining the ruler flat midrange and bass.
But this unit is new unit, just arrived in Singapore 2 days ago, and Audio-Technica straight away sent one unit to me. Only about 30 hour burn-in so far. I will burn-in it longer, and let see what would be the improvement after longer burn-in.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #168 of 343
Nice physical presentation and box. About time AT stepped up to the big leagues with that. I have to say I didn't find the open X series to have an exaggerated treble at all, with a slight bit of roll off at the very very top. AT seems to be changing their house sound a bit. Sounds like a very nice can, but to me it's hard to justify when you can get the Senn 600 or 650 for much less. Maybe this is more of a HD 700 competitor, caliper phone though. I still wish they'd improve their ears ads though. It looks the same as the X series, acceptable at that price but out of place in this price range.

Mar 25, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #172 of 343
Does anyone know how the M70X fairs against the new Momentum 2.0 wireless? I need a closed headphone for the office. Maybe the Sony MDR Z7's in the game too.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #173 of 343
Earfonia, I am sorry to ask another question, but...

You said that the r70x are ruler flat up to the upper treble. Out of curiosity, are the mids not the average forwarded style that the ath-ckr, im, and even msr series? 

Lastly, you said that the sound is smooth, but I am curious on one thing. How do guitars (like acoustic and electric) sound on the headphones? Do they have a lot more bite than your previous headphones? 

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #174 of 343
  Earfonia, I am sorry to ask another question, but...

You said that the r70x are ruler flat up to the upper treble. Out of curiosity, are the mids not the average forwarded style that the ath-ckr, im, and even msr series? 

Lastly, you said that the sound is smooth, but I am curious on one thing. How do guitars (like acoustic and electric) sound on the headphones? Do they have a lot more bite than your previous headphones? 

I should have said ruler flat up to treble, and the upper treble is actually rolled off gently. I would like to hear more transparency from R70x, but seems that it is just different signature from my T1. I guess my ears are used to T1.

No forward upper midrange like what we used to hear from Audio-Technica house sound signature. So we don't have AT house sound on R70x. Tonality is super flat.

Acoustic guitar is not as sparkling as on MSR7, but again, probably more natural sounding, although to some people probably slightly lacking of 'byte'.

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #175 of 343

I should have said ruler flat up to treble, and the upper treble is actually rolled off gently. I would like to hear more transparency from R70x, but seems that it is just different signature from my T1. I guess my ears are used to T1.

No forward upper midrange like what we used to hear from Audio-Technica house sound signature. So we don't have AT house sound on R70x. Tonality is super flat.

Acoustic guitar is not as sparkling as on MSR7, but again, probably more natural sounding, although to some people probably slightly lacking of 'byte'.

Thank you very much earfonia!

You said lower treble, so you're fine. I made a mistake myself.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #177 of 343
Nice physical presentation and box. About time AT stepped up to the big leagues with that. I have to say I didn't find the open X series to have an exaggerated treble at all, with a slight bit of roll off at the very very top. AT seems to be changing their house sound a bit. Sounds like a very nice can, but to me it's hard to justify when you can get the Senn 600 or 650 for much less. Maybe this is more of a HD 700 competitor, caliper phone though. I still wish they'd improve their ears ads though. It looks the same as the X series, acceptable at that price but out of place in this price range.

I think the street price of the r70x and hd 650 are actually gonna end up about the same. I actually sense that they were trying to one-up the k712 with the r70x, so a comparison between those would be interesting.

Mar 27, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #178 of 343
  I think the street price of the r70x and hd 650 are actually gonna end up about the same. I actually sense that they were trying to one-up the k712 with the r70x, so a comparison between those would be interesting.

Possibly, but I think it will be some time until the US street price of the R70x drops to the $275-300 level.  Could be wrong though.  
Interesting,  I tried the AKG K701, and really disliked it it was extremely sibilant, and the bass, though good quality, didn't have much impact at all(could be I wasn't driving it properly - Bryston BP-25).  That prompted me to try an AT can for the first time.  I've found several AT cans now that I really like.  I didn't find the AT and AKG sound close at all, but AT seems to be modifying their "house sound" a bit, taming the treble, and bringing the upper mid-range in line with the rest of the mid-range.  I'm not sure this brings them closer to the K712, I would say not.  Overall, I like the newer AT offerings quite a bit that I've heard.

I don't think making the MSRP unrealistically high and then having a discounted "street price" is a good policy, it tends to cheapen the brand image, IMO.

Mar 27, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #180 of 343
  Possibly, but I think it will be some time until the US street price of the R70x drops to the $275-300 level.  Could be wrong though.  
Interesting,  I tried the AKG K701, and really disliked it it was extremely sibilant, and the bass, though good quality, didn't have much impact at all(could be I wasn't driving it properly - Bryston BP-25).  That prompted me to try an AT can for the first time.  I've found several AT cans now that I really like.  I didn't find the AT and AKG sound close at all, but AT seems to be modifying their "house sound" a bit, taming the treble, and bringing the upper mid-range in line with the rest of the mid-range.  I'm not sure this brings them closer to the K712, I would say not.  Overall, I like the newer AT offerings quite a bit that I've heard.

I don't think making the MSRP unrealistically high and then having a discounted "street price" is a good policy, it tends to cheapen the brand image, IMO.

From some info I heard, targeted official price in Singapore would be around US$ 350, slightly more or less. But I can't confirm about it. I think for the sound quality, that price is very reasonable.
Agree with you, I rather have consistent 'reasonable' official price from the start, rather than having massive discount on some occasion, or much lower street price. Buyers that bought it at official price won't feel good when suddenly the price dropped too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back