Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #196 of 343
  One item of interest to me is what is the clamping force of the ATH-R70x's? A comparison between the AD2000 and/or AD2000x would be quite helpful for anyone that has a pair of both of these headphones.

I don't remember the clamping force of AD2000 and AD2000x, but I don't remember them to have strong pressure. I remember them to be comfortable. ATH-R70x has metal plate as the headband, easily adjustable to various head size. It's comfortable with right headband pressure, not as strong as MSR7.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #197 of 343
The AD2000 definitely has the stronger clamping force between the two, but not to an uncomfortable degree for me, overall. I do find sometimes after extended periods of wear or if I'm not feeling quite well they seem bothersome. Swapping them out for something less secure usually just makes me wish the headphones were a little closer in clamping force to the AD2000's.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #200 of 343
I wonder how it sounds... has anyone heard this yet??
Is it good enough to match Shure SRH 1840, HD650?

AD2000x has lots of good reviews. This new one looks pretty similar to AD2000k.
Audio Technica has been making headphones for audiophiles and entertainment purpose only.
This is their very first pro audio engineer headphone. I can't wait to hear it.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #202 of 343
  I wonder how it sounds... has anyone heard this yet??

Some early impressions:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/751917/audio-technica-debuts-three-new-pairs-of-headphones-ath-r70x-ath-m70x-and-ath-m50xdg/150#post_11430686

Apr 7, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #203 of 343

Good to hear that. How does it sound compared to HD800 and AKG812 (or K702)? Is it comparable to other reference headphones? especially more expensive ones?

Does it have a wide sound stage just like K702 and HD800?

is it detailed enough to match HD650 and SRH1840?

Any comment on instrument separation?
I just sent back my T1. T1 has detailed sound but its instrument sepaeation is very bad for analytical listening. Sometimes percussion sits in the center and stay very unstable throughout performance. This wasn't the case of HD650 and SRH1840. T1 is made for entertainment.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #204 of 343
Good to hear that. How does it sound compared to HD800 and AKG812 (or K702)? Is it comparable to other reference headphones? especially more expensive ones?

Does it have a wide sound stage just like K702 and HD800?

is it detailed enough to match HD650 and SRH1840?

Any comment on instrument separation?
I just sent back my T1. T1 has detailed sound but its instrument sepaeation is very bad for analytical listening. Sometimes percussion sits in the center and stay very unstable throughout performance. This wasn't the case of HD650 and SRH1840. T1 is made for entertainment.

Please wait patiently for full review :)
Early impressions has covered a bit. Please check my replies in previous pages.
I disagree about T1. I've used T1 many years, for mixing as well, the instrument separation and imaging are fine to me.

Apr 7, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #205 of 343
I hope it's better than SRH1840 and T1.
Would you use it for mixing and mastering?

T1 is way too expensive for what it is.

Is there any news on new Shure headphone? Shure headphones are not behind Sennheiser. They just need to release a new model to match HD800 and AKG 812.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #207 of 343
I hope it's better than SRH1840 and T1.
Would you use it for mixing and mastering?

T1 is way too expensive for what it is.

Is there any news on new Shure headphone? Shure headphones are not behind Sennheiser. They just need to release a new model to match HD800 and AKG 812.

R70x is a very different headphone than the well known HD800, T1, and the newer K812. R70x is not analytical at all, therefore, I won't use it for mixing. We will have hard time to apply de-esser using R70x, because it doesn't reveal sibilant very well. But I will use it for mastering due to its super linear tonality. And most importantly I will use it for music listening. R70x is almost colorless, very natural, with a little gentle roll-off on the upper treble.

T1 is one of the best headphone ever. I have both T1 and HD800 for many years. And I do prefer T1 for recording, mixing, and mastering. T1 as other high-end headphones must be match properly with proper amp and player. It sounds differently using different amps and DACs. You probably heard a bad matching. Once you heard a good matching of T1 and a good amplifier, you'll be amazed of what it is capable of.  A friend of mine, a sound engineer, tested T1 with a simple DAC+Amp, and dislike it. But once he tried it with Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H at my place (check my signature for sneak peek), he was literally blown away.

Apr 7, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #208 of 343
How? Audio technica wasn't at can jam so there's is no way the r70x could have been there

I didn't see the R70x or the M70x there.  If I had, I definitely would have given them a listen!

Apr 7, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #209 of 343

R70x is a very different headphone than the well known HD800, T1, and the newer K812. R70x is not analytical at all, therefore, I won't use it for mixing. We will have hard time to apply de-esser using R70x, because it doesn't reveal sibilant very well. But I will use it for mastering due to its super linear tonality. And most importantly I will use it for music listening. R70x is almost colorless, very natural, with a little gentle roll-off on the upper treble.

T1 is one of the best headphone ever. I have both T1 and HD800 for many years. And I do prefer T1 for recording, mixing, and mastering. T1 as other high-end headphones must be match properly with proper amp and player. It sounds differently using different amps and DACs. You probably heard a bad matching. Once you heard a good matching of T1 and a good amplifier, you'll be amazed of what it is capable of.  A friend of mine, a sound engineer, tested T1 with a simple DAC+Amp, and dislike it. But once he tried it with Audio-Technica AT-HA5050H at my place (check my signature for sneak peek), he was literally blown away.

I see.
I have tested T1 with Geek Out 1000. It sounded not better than SRH 1840. It just sounded different but not necessarily better. I have concluded that it doesn't worth extra 1,000 dollars. I sent it back yesterday.
I will wait for your review!

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #210 of 343
I had a chance to try out the r70x with my cayin n6. Well in short tey are the first open cans i realllly like good highs wide sound stage. Best of alll pretty bassy! There is impact from the bass, though u cant compare it to a closed can. As compared to the m70x i completely hated it. Too flat sounding, still prefer the m50x only problem now is how will the r70x sound like through a basic home setup! Cant wait haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back