Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Apr 24, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #241 of 343
I must admit ad2k comfort is the downside. I got ear pain, literally and physically the first few times wearing it. But i guess, after your ear skin gets little thicker, it builds natural resistance to the friction with the pads, hahaha.

470 ohms? Is the impedance flat or roller coaster like senn or beyer?

Ad2kx is more comfortable than ad2k.
This should be AS comfortable or better comfort than ad2kx?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #242 of 343
I must admit ad2k comfort is the downside. I got ear pain, literally and physically the first few times wearing it. But i guess, after your ear skin gets little thicker, it builds natural resistance to the friction with the pads, hahaha.

470 ohms? Is the impedance flat or roller coaster like senn or beyer?

Ad2kx is more comfortable than ad2k.
This should be AS comfortable or better comfort than ad2kx?

Yeah me too, at first I couldn't get used to AD2K's clamping force, but slowly got used to it after using it almost every day for more than a year. It still hurt my ears though. :/

It's indeed 470 ohms as stated on AT's site, but I don't know if the impedance is flat or roller coaster (at least until frequency response graphs come out).

The R70X was comfortable and not at all distracting when I tried it. Clamping force was just right. Not sure how it compares to AD2KX's comfort though, since I don't own them anymore.

Apr 25, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #243 of 343
The AD2000's can get a bit uncomfortable for me for a short time, but if I move them or take them off for just a few minutes all is fine. The clamping force being greater than the AD2000x was one of the key reasons I chose the AD2000's over the AD2000x's. That and the AD2000 sounded a bit more to my preference. Close call between the two and was tempted to keep the AD2000x but did sell them. Glad the clamping force isn't an issue for me!

Apr 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #246 of 343
  So, how would you rank R70x among HD650, SRH1840, AKG K702, AKG K712, AD2000X?

@twister6 will be reviewing r70x sometime soon... I'm waiting patiently lol 
popcorn.gif

Apr 29, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #247 of 343

So, how would you rank R70x among HD650, SRH1840, AKG K702, AKG K712, AD2000X?

@twister6 will be reviewing r70x sometime soon... I'm waiting patiently lol 
popcorn.gif

I only have R70x, and my previous experience with open/semi-opn back was limited to SoundMagic HP200, Beyer DT880 and DT990, and out of all these R70x has the MOST natural and transparent sound.  I'm finishing up another review and will start promptly on R70x.  Already took all the review pictures and sound analysis notes, just need time to start/finish the write up.  Btw, earfonia is also working on R70x review which should be published any day now.

Apr 30, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #249 of 343
I previously owned all of those headphones mentioned but not all at the same time—the only ones I had at the same time were the K712 and AD2KX. :wink:

Oh yeah, you did own all those headphones before (I read your reviews so I should have known).

Are you getting the R70X Asr? If you are, I look forward to your impressions and review!

Apr 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #250 of 343
May 1, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #252 of 343
so the bass response and small inner diameter is a weakness? is it just about bass quantity or extension also? i would love to have a neutral headphone flat to at least 20hz, unsibilant and with soft roll off in the highs.

will it be possible to mount the larger earpads from other at models or even from other manufacturers? or will a phat pad mod do the trick? so the ear lip slide under the small opening and have room inside the small pads?

May 1, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #253 of 343
  so the bass response and small inner diameter is a weakness? is it just about bass quantity or extension also? i would love to have a neutral headphone flat to at least 20hz, unsibilant and with soft roll off in the highs.

will it be possible to mount the larger earpads from other at models or even from other manufacturers? or will a phat pad mod do the trick? so the ear lip slide under the small opening and have room inside the small pads?

In reference to which pair of cans?  M50x - balanced with a bass boost and some treble roll of (warmer sig), M70x - as flat and dull as it gets with a perfect extension at both ends, but lack in any balanced quantity, just a quality, MSR7 - neutral-balanced with a great extension at both ends, more low end quantity than M70x but not quite at the same level as M50x, and also treble extension that could be perceived a bit hot with a bright analytical source.  R70x - is an open back monster with an amazing natural neutral resolving sound - need a good amp to drive it, and it's all about purity and quality rather than quantity, when it comes to low end - it's not as flat as M70x, but also a little less mid-bass quantity in comparison to MSR7.

For what you are looking for and if you don't mind lack of isolation and listen in the environment where open-back sound "spillage" is acceptable - R70x is your best bet.

May 1, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #255 of 343
Does anyone know if the Sony ZX2 will be able to power the R70x without an amp?

I don't have ZX2 and never had a chance to listen to it, but from a number of people who did - I heard it's output volume sounds low.  Don't know, maybe they are pushing their amp for a stack up to sell it together :)  But even if your DAP can drive them well, I was able to drive them with X3ii and N6 and AK120ii without a problem, it still sounds better amped.  Not the volume, but the improvement in energy and dynamics, and also bass sounds tighter when amped.  But it needs a good neutral amp, nothing warm or tube.  I used Cayin C5 with it and it's great, but once I switched bass boost on - it ruined the frequency balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back