Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
May 1, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #256 of 343

I don't have ZX2 and never had a chance to listen to it, but from a number of people who did - I heard it's output volume sounds low.  Don't know, maybe they are pushing their amp for a stack up to sell it together :)  But even if your DAP can drive them well, I was able to drive them with X3ii and N6 and AK120ii without a problem, it still sounds better amped.  Not the volume, but the improvement in energy and dynamics, and also bass sounds tighter when amped.  But it needs a good neutral amp, nothing warm or tube.  I used Cayin C5 with it and it's great, but once I switched bass boost on - it ruined the frequency balance.

Thanks for the help.  I just got the shipment.  I have it on max volume and it sounds very low.  My M50x sound high at ~50% volume.

May 1, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #257 of 343

I don't have ZX2 and never had a chance to listen to it, but from a number of people who did - I heard it's output volume sounds low.  Don't know, maybe they are pushing their amp for a stack up to sell it together :)  But even if your DAP can drive them well, I was able to drive them with X3ii and N6 and AK120ii without a problem, it still sounds better amped.  Not the volume, but the improvement in energy and dynamics, and also bass sounds tighter when amped.  But it needs a good neutral amp, nothing warm or tube.  I used Cayin C5 with it and it's great, but once I switched bass boost on - it ruined the frequency balance.

Thanks for the help.  I just got the shipment.  I have it on max volume and it sounds very low.  My M50x sound high at ~50% volume.

Sounds low with ZX2?  I guess that's expected :wink:  Also, you have to take into account output impedance of Walkman.  I assume you already have it on high gain?

May 2, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #258 of 343
Are you getting the R70X Asr? If you are, I look forward to your impressions and review!

Yup, it's just a question of when I decide to finally plunk down for it. Have to factor in another amp before I get it though since the Gilmore Lite is underspec'd to deliver much power into a 470 Ohm headphone. I predict that the R70X's amping requirements will ultimately result in its impressions being all over the map on Head-Fi, from people trying to drive it with various amps, not all of which will be successful.... 
wink.gif

May 3, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #263 of 343
Nice review. I bought some AKG K7XX from Massdrop for making/mixing music which are essentially 702 AE's. I am very pleased with them but wonder if the R70x may be an improvement?

I'm not sure. I never tried K7xx.

May 3, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #265 of 343

I predict that the R70X's amping requirements will ultimately result in its impressions being all over the map on Head-Fi

Agreed.

May 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #266 of 343

I predict that the R70X's amping requirements will ultimately result in its impressions being all over the map on Head-Fi

Agreed.

Not true, as long as you are using a relatively neutral amp (nothing colored) :wink:  I tested my R70x with a number of DAPs, with and w/o amp, and the sound sig is still consistent.  I found it to be not too keen to warm sources or when you switch bass boost on my portable amp, but other than that - it's still a very consistent neutral sig with a natural tonality, great extension at both end of the spectrum, amazing retrieval of details, and excellent airy staging with 3D imaging.

May 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #268 of 343
May 4, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #269 of 343
What about K712 or K702 AE? As these are very similar.

Sorry, no idea.

Not true, as long as you are using a relatively neutral amp (nothing colored) :wink:  I tested my R70x with a number of DAPs, with and w/o amp, and the sound sig is still consistent.  I found it to be not too keen to warm sources or when you switch bass boost on my portable amp, but other than that - it's still a very consistent neutral sig with a natural tonality, great extension at both end of the spectrum, amazing retrieval of details, and excellent airy staging with 3D imaging.

+1 Agree.
It is not difficult to drive, it is just prefer detailed sounding amps over the smooth warm amps.

How is it compared to Q701? I want to upgrade to a slightly warm sound.any thoughts?.....

Haven't tried Q701, but I do prefer this over the original K701. R70x has more midrange and bass body.
You can read my review and twister6 review to get better idea of how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back