Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Jun 11, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #271 of 343
Finally ordered my R70x today, really looking forward to it after the recent positive reviews. Looks like I'll be the first one to formally compare it to the AD2K?
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #272 of 343
Well I have both, but I think you will do a much better job of describing the differences between the two. The one thing I like is that it's easier finding a suitable volume on the R70x. The R70x seems a bit more neutral as well. Lately it seems I have found a good balance on my AD2K as well and enjoying it. I thought the AD2K's were comfortable, but the R70x takes it to a whole new level.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #274 of 343
What's the inner and outer length of the R70x earpad? I'm wondering because I have slightly larger than average ears. The HD600 fits me perfectly, but I fear the ATHs might be a bit small.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #275 of 343
Finally got mine in today, Amazon took unusually long to ship them.

Initial impression before I put the headphones on my head: the R70x has to be, by far, the lightest-weight headphone I've ever used! It's just so incredibly light-weight that it's amazing. Some other headphone manufacturers have to take note from Audio-Technica, I'm looking at you Audeze!
tongue.gif

The next impression when I put the headphones on my head: zomg, they're really comfortable to wear too. And a really nice change after the MSR7 that I've been using recently, mostly thanks to the velour pads (the MSR7 has pleather pads). The MSR7 was starting to get uncomfortable recently due to hot summer nights; the R70x will definitely be a very pleasant change in that aspect, and I suspect I'll be using it more as a result.

As far as sound, I'll admit I've barely done any listening so far, especially critical listening. So I'll have to listen further before making any comments on it sonically. The only thing I'll say is that it's very likely that I'll be the first person to list an R70x for sale in the FS forums...
frown.gif

What's the inner and outer length of the R70x earpad? I'm wondering because I have slightly larger than average ears. The HD600 fits me perfectly, but I fear the ATHs might be a bit small.

If by length you mean diameter: inner is ~2 inches, outer is ~3.75 inches.

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #276 of 343
What's good and bad about it?

popcorn.gif

Jun 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #278 of 343
Finally got mine in today, Amazon took unusually long to ship them.

Initial impression before I put the headphones on my head: the R70x has to be, by far, the lightest-weight headphone I've ever used! It's just so incredibly light-weight that it's amazing. Some other headphone manufacturers have to take note from Audio-Technica, I'm looking at you Audeze! :p

The next impression when I put the headphones on my head: zomg, they're really comfortable to wear too. And a really nice change after the MSR7 that I've been using recently, mostly thanks to the velour pads (the MSR7 has pleather pads). The MSR7 was starting to get uncomfortable recently due to hot summer nights; the R70x will definitely be a very pleasant change in that aspect, and I suspect I'll be using it more as a result.

As far as sound, I'll admit I've barely done any listening so far, especially critical listening. So I'll have to listen further before making any comments on it sonically. The only thing I'll say is that it's very likely that I'll be the first person to list an R70x for sale in the FS forums... :frowning2:

If by length you mean diameter: inner is ~2 inches, outer is ~3.75 inches.

Whether you've done critical listening or just a short demo a negative experience is a negative experience.

What are the issues? It will certainly help no matter how short the impression.

Jun 21, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #279 of 343
Whether you've done critical listening or just a short demo a negative experience is a negative experience.

What are the issues? It will certainly help no matter how short the impression.

Well I never trust my own initial impressions, so further comment will still have to come later.

I also discovered that the R70x really needs a high-gain amp. I'm currently using a Garage1217 Project Polaris to drive the R70x (I also happen to have a Project Solstice and Ember 2 on hand that I'll also use later on, to see how it responds to them).

Initially, I had the R70x on settings that were optimal for the MSR7 (low output R and low gain) which led to that part of my post ("it's very likely that I'll be the first person to list an R70x for sale in the FS forums"). But making a couple of changes to high output R and high gain really made the R70x come alive! Actually, the high gain had more of an effect than the high output R. Despite completely maxing the amp out at low gain, it still didn't produce enough volume for the R70x to sound loud; I had to engage high gain to start getting some decent volume levels out of it! And it really does sound quite a bit better at high gain than it did on low gain.

That's not to say that the R70x sounds perfect to me now though, because it doesn't, it just sounds a lot better. There are plenty of areas I'm finding to be less than stellar on it, but I'll have to listen further before commenting, because as I said, I don't trust my own initial impressions of anything....
wink.gif

Jun 21, 2015 at 5:45 AM Post #280 of 343
That's fair enough. I'm really hoping these are like a HD600 with more sub bass extension. Sub bass seems to be a difficult thing to get right and being a dynamic, has limitations.

Jun 22, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #282 of 343
That's fair enough. I'm really hoping these are like a HD600 with more sub bass extension. Sub bass seems to be a difficult thing to get right and being a dynamic, has limitations.

More?  HD600 already goes clear down to 20Hz, and 15-19Hz can be felt easily, in my experience.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #283 of 343
Some impressions on amplification of the R70x between the Garage1217 amps that I have: it sounds really good with all 3 of them with the proper settings (Polaris, Ember 2, and Solstice at high R and high gain where configurable). The Ember 2 has a GE Smoked Glass 6DJ8 and the Solstice has a 6H6N (there are additional tubes that I haven't tried yet though). I definitely wouldn't say the R70x needs a linear-sounding solid-state amp, because it actually seems to sound better on the tube hybrids (Ember 2 and Solstice) versus the solid-state (Polaris).

Probably the most defining aspect of the R70x is its very natural-sounding tonality unlike anything I've heard before from AT. I never thought I'd be saying this about an Audio-Technica headphone (well a non-woodied AT, at least), but I really like listening to classical and jazz on it. It reminds me of the HD600's type of sound a lot (which I admittedly haven't heard in years)—very natural tonality and very cohesive with the imaging/soundstage.

Jun 26, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #285 of 343
Took the plunge and ordered a R70X. Let see how it stacks up against my other ATs.

For those in UK, Amazon is currently selling them at £240 with Prime. Barely a mark up compared to Japanese street price. Very good value if you are looking for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back