Audio Technica ATH-W5000 headphones
Mar 21, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #77 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the HD800 worth the extra 400 over the W5000?

I think so but the difference is more than $400. HD800 goes for $1400 and W5000 average is around $800. But are very picky on amps too.

Mar 21, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #78 of 304
i'm torn because i have a new in box w5000 and this thread has been making me want to break them out, burn em in, and then give it a listen .... i just finished giving my HD800's a good 75 hours of burn-in and i'm loving the sound and the huge soundstage.

decisions .... decisions

Mar 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #80 of 304
Different headphones to be sure. I was fortunate that they both do well on the Apache. The Senns are more laid back, where the W5000 have come alive with balancing, and the Apache vs. single ended in the Raptor I previously used.

Unlike the HD800s, to balance the W5000 they have to be refitted with new cables.

Mar 22, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #81 of 304
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Waiting for Headstage Arrow, will be interesting to compare these two.

You will be surprise, it is a great little amp. Using mid gain and I on crossfeed, it is very musical and I had listening to it for over an hour using my iPod nano as source. If you are a basshead, set the bass boost to I will take care of W5000 bass light problem.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #82 of 304
Thanks for update, will try for sure, however I dont expirience any shortness with bass at the moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will be surprise, it is a great little amp. Using mid gain and I on crossfeed, it is very musical and I had listening to it for over an hour using my iPod nano as source. If you are a basshead, set the bass boost to I will take care of W5000 bass light problem.

Jul 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #85 of 304
J&R has them in stock again.

I wanted to update this thread of mine to post some further opinions after several months of usage. These are really the best headphones that I have heard for classical and opera bar none. It gets the tone just right and everything else falls into place. Recently, I was listening to Janine Jansen's latest CD featuring Beethoven and Britten and I have to say that it was sheer rapture to listen to such an accomplished violinist perform at the top of her game. The ATH-W5000 Raffinatos excel at sheer resolution and they are a terrific fit with my existing high end audio system.

I am still very happy and satisfied with the purchase of these luxury headphones. I will not sell them. I do plan on acquiring the AT-HA5000 headphone amplifier sometime next year as I have to spend money on back to school necessities for the duration of this year.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #86 of 304
I have been following this thread, I see that Welly Wu really has capture a sense that the W5000 is a great phone. I have been considering purchasing one.

I prefer Tradition Jazz, Classical and Opera. How is it with female vocals such Patrica Barber, Dianne Krall etc....

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #87 of 304
I listen to those musicians myself. They sound glorious through the W5000 headphones. I have had the good fortune of listening to the Grado PS-1000 and Sennheiser HD 800 through my home system and I still prefer the W5000 headphones for classical, jazz, and especially Opera. These are the very best closed headphones for those genres that I have listened to since I joined Head-Fi.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #88 of 304
The overwhelming majority of my CD collection are female musicians and vocalists. Through the ATH-W5000 Raffinato headphones, there is this purity of sound that envelops their voices. This can construed as either positive or negative depending upon the singing and recording performance of each song. I tell you this: these headphones are merciless when it comes to extracting the last decibel of sound and I consider them to be reference grade quality in that respect. Beyond detail resolution, there is this air of space surrounding each instrument which projects a certain grandeur to the music of which I have not heard before in other headphones that I have auditioned or owned.

If you can find your local Audio Technica authorized dealer, then ask them if they could let you audition the Raffinato headphones in the store or with your home audio system. I bought mine cold without so much as an audition, but I did a lot of research here and came to the conclusion that current and former owners were trustworthy in their reviews and comments about these headphones. So, I lucked out in finding the right match for my musical tastes and synergy with my home audio system.

I hope this is useful and helpful to you.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM Post #89 of 304
Quite frankly I was going to consider a D7000 a candidate but keep thinking that the sound signature is more for heavy rock and metal type music.

I hear that the W5000 is not as bass heavy but has great imaging and bass is more tight and not as fat and boomy as the Denon. I assume the W5000 is Probably more like my Grado GS1000i.

How is the sound stage of the W5000, the Grado GS1000i sound stage is wide almost like out of a headroom experience and not having a headphone.

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #90 of 304
For a pair of closed headphones, the sound stage is wide, but the depth really shines on the ATH-W5000s. It creates an image of layered depth that is very convincing. In terms of bass response, I owned the AKG K 701 headphones and I considered it to be the least bass heavy cans that I have heard thus far. The ATH-W5000 have decent bass impact and spectacular bass texture.

If you have any more questions or comments, then please feel free to reply or send me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back