Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Oct 25, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #722 of 906
Quote:
Hey trae who is the sound leakage with just the gel pads on

First off, welcome to Head-Fi 
beerchug.gif

Now, there is very little sound leakage with my headphones. I'll say at MAX volume (so loud that my ears can only take a few minutes of it), with the headphones off of my head, and the earpads pushed together, it's about as loud as someone clicking their mouth (just an average click, nothing special)

Isolation-wise, these headphones are so good that it aggravates the people around me. If someone tries to call me from down stairs, I can't hear then, even if they yell (this is at a moderately high volume). The isolation is a double edged sword because something actually happened and I couldn't hear anything. They have to bang on the walls to get my attention... Another example is someone can stand at my door, which is open, call my name at a normal voice tone, and I can't hear them at medium volume.  

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #723 of 906
Quote:
First off, welcome to Head-Fi 
beerchug.gif

Now, there is very little sound leakage with my headphones. I'll say at MAX volume (so loud that my ears can only take a few minutes of it), with the headphones off of my head, and the earpads pushed together, it's about as loud as someone clicking their mouth (just an average click, nothing special)

Isolation-wise, these headphones are so good that it aggravates the people around me. If someone tries to call me from down stairs, I can't hear then, even if they yell (this is at a moderately high volume). The isolation is a double edged sword because something actually happened and I couldn't hear anything. They have to bang on the walls to get my attention... Another example is someone can stand at my door, which is open, call my name at a normal voice tone, and I can't hear them at medium volume.  

Pfft... Don't need to hear any cries for help unless it's to bring more wub to my dub.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #727 of 906
i want to get these... and i don't want to buy extra pads... how is the sub bass on these?? i don't care about the upper bass punch but i like the low rumble in my ear drum... is the rumble anywhere close to an xb1000?? cuz the xb1000 will actually damage your ear with that low rumble... i have tried reading the thread but it is more about changing pads than actual comparisons... i also have the xb500/700 and denon2000 and also ultrasone pro900s... so as i love HUUUGEE bass, will these reach those levels?? and if someone can compare them to the xb1000s(someone who actually knows how to get xb1000s to full blast as most reviewers here don't know how much bass they have when you eq them slightly)

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #728 of 906
If you don't want to buy better pads for these headphones, then they're not worth buying, imo. I don't have any good headphones to compare mine to, but if someone would like to ship their headphones to me so I can compare them, then that should benefit the whole basshead community.

I would get the 1000s, but my money is tied up somewhere else right now ($720 fixing my computer). Maybe in a few months I'll consider getting them, and I believe my methods (if you can understand it) should max out the bass on the headphones.

Nov 2, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #729 of 906
Quote:
i want to get these... and i don't want to buy extra pads... how is the sub bass on these?? i don't care about the upper bass punch but i like the low rumble in my ear drum... is the rumble anywhere close to an xb1000?? cuz the xb1000 will actually damage your ear with that low rumble... i have tried reading the thread but it is more about changing pads than actual comparisons... i also have the xb500/700 and denon2000 and also ultrasone pro900s... so as i love HUUUGEE bass, will these reach those levels?? and if someone can compare them to the xb1000s(someone who actually knows how to get xb1000s to full blast as most reviewers here don't know how much bass they have when you eq them slightly)

The sub-bass rumble on the XB1000 is more prominent than on the PRO700MK2s. The latter are slightly harder hitting in the mid-bass region, though. Since you already have the sub-bass maestros in the XB1000, XB700, D2000, you won't be satisfied with the PRO700MK2 - it won't offer you what you don't already have.

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #730 of 906
Quote:

The sub-bass rumble on the XB1000 is more prominent than on the PRO700MK2s. The latter are slightly harder hitting in the mid-bass region, though. Since you already have the sub-bass maestros in the XB1000, XB700, D2000, you won't be satisfied with the PRO700MK2 - it won't offer you what you don't already have.

Lies. Has anyone tried these with a decent sound card yet!? I finally got around to installing the Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD (long name) sound card and with these cans it sounds amazing! If you have an honest to God real source to play these out of then the sound is impressive for sure. As for on the go I haven't found a source that can compete with a sound card so if anyone knows any let me know. These have amazing bass and will satisfy anyone. I've also found, now that it's cold, using a hoodie really allows for the SPL to work it's magic. I'm not sure how it filters compared to and extended, sealing ear pad like the other trae offered but it's a cheap quick fix.

Anyways. TL;DR. If you use these for home, a sound card makes a world of difference. I imagine this is what it's like for a DJ using an actually sound mixer.

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #731 of 906
Quote:
Lies. Has anyone tried these with a decent sound card yet!? I finally got around to installing the Creative SB X-Fi Titanium HD (long name) sound card and with these cans it sounds amazing! If you have an honest to God real source to play these out of then the sound is impressive for sure. As for on the go I haven't found a source that can compete with a sound card so if anyone knows any let me know. These have amazing bass and will satisfy anyone. I've also found, now that it's cold, using a hoodie really allows for the SPL to work it's magic. I'm not sure how it filters compared to and extended, sealing ear pad like the other trae offered but it's a cheap quick fix.

Anyways. TL;DR. If you use these for home, a sound card makes a world of difference. I imagine this is what it's like for a DJ using an actually sound mixer.

I don't know if you were joking, but I am not lying about the PRO700MK2's qualities. They are a very good basshead can that has excellent amping potential. It is quite punchy in its mid-bass, but there are more than a handful of cans which are bassier right out of the box. Nevertheless, the PRO700MK2 has good sub-bass performance, but the XB1000, XB700 and D2000 are very good at doing the same. All in all, if you have say an XB1000, you won't be getting much extra with a PRO700MK2. Besides, the XB1000 are way more comfortable.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #732 of 906
Quote:

i have both the xb1000's and pro700's so i can speak a little on this

honestly as far as sub bass goes, nothing i've heard comes close to the xb1000's, if you listen to artist like phaelah and distance, as well as munchi and cookie monsta, artists in dubstep and moombah that like to use sub bass bass lines and dark drums, the vibrations become pretty evident in the xb1000, im talking the side of your head all the way up the band to rumble along the top of your skull lol i love it

the pro700's have sub bass but its much less so, although what is there still dwarfs alot of other cans that are on the market, the most sub bass you'll ever get out of the pro700's are going to be with the stock pads, there is no getting around it, stiff shallow pads leave the drivers just millimeters from your ear so you feel the full weight of the slams, but its nothing in comparison to the 1000's, where the pro700's trump the xb's is as other people here have stated, mid bass

the pro700's are also basically tanks, they can take any eq settings you can think of, any dsp's, and damn near any volume and never crack, the xb1000's i honestly couldnt even really tell you because i barely play with the settings, i honestly like them almost right out of the box stock, i do add one bass dsp sometimes but thats about it, i'd get into further details about the other pros and cons between them but you only seemed to want to know about the sub bass so there you have it, i think to get even more sub bass rumble past the xb1000's you'd have to go into lcd2/3 territory and possibly d7000 (never heard either, just going on popular opinion here on these forums)

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #733 of 906
Quote:

the pro700's are also basically tanks, they can take any eq settings you can think of, any dsp's, and damn near any volume and never crack, the xb1000's i honestly couldnt even really tell you because i barely play with the settings, i honestly like them almost right out of the box stock, i do add one bass dsp sometimes but thats about it, i'd get into further details about the other pros and cons between them but you only seemed to want to know about the sub bass so there you have it, i think to get even more sub bass rumble past the xb1000's you'd have to go into lcd2/3 territory and possibly d7000 (never heard either, just going on popular opinion here on these forums)

i don't really think anything can shake your head with the rumble of sub bass like xb1000 largely due to the fact that they are 70mm monsters and they need huge amping to get some decent power... the other might give more detail which is always nice but the rumble, you mentioned, will shake the brain more than anything else around... i actually think people do not get the potential out of them with mid bass as if you eq them slightly then they have a lot of mid bass potential which people think they lack... with eq i have matched the mid bass of my ultrasone pro900 with the xb1000... non of the sony cans are prefect without eq... i might as well get the pro700s as they might have more bass detail and, as far as the reviews go, won't bother the other parts of the full frequency spectrum...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back