Audio-Technica ATH-ON3 @ Focalprice, genuine?
Mar 5, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #31 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by aris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fakes might sometimes sound better than the gens but tend to break fairly quickly
then again it's only 12$

are they comfortable enough to fall asleep with

you can't sleep on your side with them.
a better choice will be some IEMs since you can sleep on your side then

Mar 5, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #32 of 55
On request of blehbleh, I'll post some pictures of my ON3. Both of them are genuine because I got them from two different authorized local Audio-Technica dealer in Singapore around May 07, when ON3 was first launched (just days after Japan launch). That being said, both my ON3 are first series. The color model are LGR and SBW (which is still NOS in original package since I only use LGR one). You can see my original short impression of ON3 and some old pictures here.

ON01.jpg

Notice there is glue mark around the transducer.

ON02.jpg

There is an small bump on one side of plastic housing where it meets the metal bend.

ON03.jpg

Nickel plated screws, two housing pieces and three spots of hot glue inside.

ON04.jpg

NOS package SBW color model.

ON05.jpg

Another view.

ON06.jpg

The back. You can see the 2007-05 small sticker meaning it was produced back in May 07.

All different series of ON3 I know come in pretty much the same kind of packaging like the one above. If it doesn't come in a decent package, than it is certainly fake. Also, you might want to know that ON3 are produced in China, not Japan.

Mar 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #33 of 55
mine havent come yet, but since they are fake i was wondering if it might be possible to stick some KOSS KSC75 drivers in here. I personally think these look pretty good and those koss can make it a perfect headphone.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by dyce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
mine havent come yet, but since they are fake i was wondering if it might be possible to stick some KOSS KSC75 drivers in here. I personally think these look pretty good and those koss can make it a perfect headphone.

Don't think so, because that will create closed-back KSC75's, and they sound horrible when they're closed.
Open headphones are ment to kept open
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #35 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't think so, because that will create closed-back KSC75's, and they sound horrible when they're closed.
wink.gif

alright thanks for the advice, i wont waste the effort. but what should i do with them? I lost those earclips.

Mar 7, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

not true
I have a pair and the sq is much better
and I am not the only one who thinks so
search the forums and you will see

the best would be to try for yourself

Mar 7, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #37 of 55
That, of course, was my opinion, not a fact.
I tried putting them in a Bose Triport Around Ear shell, and it didn't work out for me, neither with the Audio Technica SJ5.

Those are the experiments that I based my conclusion on
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #38 of 55
just got mine, yep im guessing they are fake since it came in a plastic bag and do documentation. they sound real good if you press them on your ears,but the bass has small detail when they are regularly on.

I am thinking of two things.
1. Find a way to make them tighter on the ears.
2. See what may happen by putting some KSC75's in there.

any advice?

here's pics, i don't know if they are going to fit, and i still need to find out how to open the ath-on3.

Mar 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #39 of 55
Quote:

just got mine, yep im guessing they are fake since it came in a plastic bag and do documentation. they sound real good if you press them on your ears,but the bass has small detail when they are regularly on.

After buying my gf a new ipod nano that came with the crappy apple earbuds, I've been trying to get her interested in a new set of headphones. She's decided she likes the style of the ATH-ON3 in black and we'll be purchasing them Tuesday from the biggest Apple store in S. Korea known as A#. They are priced at 27,000 KRW (17.47 USD) and are 100% genuine. I tried them on today at the A# store and I must agree with the previous poster about the bass lacking detail when worn regularly.

I will post pictures wednesday if anyone is interested.

As for audio quality, I only have the Koss Portapros and Grado SR-80s to fully compare.

Mar 22, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #40 of 55
Alright update guys. The ones from focalprice and the black ones I purchased are definitely fakes. I purchased a pink on3, which I believe is not a color that is cloned. While the everything from the outside plastic, to the transducer look basically the same, I've only been able to notice a few differences.

-The height adjustment on the fake on3 glides smoothly up and down while the real on3 feels like there are notches for each height that you adjust, albeit a very small feeling of passing a bump.

-The bass on the fake on3 sounds tinny compared to the real one

-There seems to a layer of "something" over the sound it plays. I'm not really sure how to describe it but it is like having a bad sound card, and there is a layer of static over your music. Except in this case its not static because I don't hear this through the real on3's through my xonar usb amp/dac. OH, its muddy and muffled compared to the real one.

That's all I have for you guys so far. So I guess just make sure to buy from a trusted vendor. Mine came in a box. That's probably the only way to distinguish reals from fakes since the clones are exactly the same as the real, appearance wise. If you like the sounds of the fakes, great, but the sound of the reals is much better.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

What do you guys think? are they real? mine just shipped out yesterday. I'm hoping they live up to their words of "original". Phony that they don't mention Audio-Technica in the description though. I pulled the gun on this one because in another thread here, someone mentioned that they sell for 8 bucks in japan.

Original ATH-ON3 Seamless Headband Headphone Earphone $12.2 - Free Shipping

When mine comes in, I'll update you with pictures and SQ. I have Koss KSC-75 to compare to and Senn PXC-250s. If they turn out to be fake with horrible SQ, I'll probably end up shipping them back.

^^^Most likely fakes, there are so many now on the streets in colors that Audio Technica do not even produce!

frown.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #42 of 55
Who cares if they're fake or not?
Worrying about that with a $12 headphone is just silly..

They sound good for the money, and is all that counts for me.

Mar 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #43 of 55
buying a 12$ if your moderately interested in SQ is silly
buying fake headphones are silly since it encourages the fake hp industry
this thread is silly
12$ hps are not hi-fi
this thread would be better suited for a bargain hunter forum

Mar 23, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #44 of 55
This thread is not about the whether the fakes are better than the real phones, but rather trying to compare and figure out the differences between the two. That way people can avoid buying the fakes, which cuts funding more of this type of cloning for the future. This thread is just as "silly" as the fake es7 and esw9 threads. And by silly, I mean important.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #45 of 55
Alright guys, I just bought a pair off eBay with no packaging.... except everything is exactly the same as the real pair shown in this thread, opened them up to check. The adjustments move up and down with the bumpy grooves.. they don't slide. Did I get lucky? Spent $17AUD on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back