Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 27, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #1,561 of 2,803
I own them and like it with the HA-2.

Be warned, some find the headphone bright. I don't agree with that statement. I think they are very detailed while still being smooth. I don't like bright, if they were I would not own them.

But, we all do hear different things and listen to different music. I personally do not think they are bright or harsh at all. IMO, they kill the m50's. The m50's were a favorite of mine, compared to the MSR7, the vocals now sound hollow to me on the m50's compared to the MSR7's.

Are they tipped at the top end ? sure, but they aren't bright. Mids are nice and non fatiguing too.

May 27, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #1,562 of 2,803
May 27, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #1,563 of 2,803
  These cans lean on the brightside but I've never found them to be harsh or fatiguing either. That said it could be personal since I enjoy the hell out of my Grados as well. 

I owned the Grado 80's, those were definitely a tiny bit on the harsh side when it came the the Mid's. I thought the top end was good, but the Mid's bothered my ears. Still thought they were a nice sounding headphone with the right source.

May 28, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #1,566 of 2,803

I owned the Grado 80's, those were definitely a tiny bit on the harsh side when it came the the Mid's. I thought the top end was good, but the Mid's bothered my ears. Still thought they were a nice sounding headphone with the right source.

Also the same with the MSR7's. Didn't enjoy them with my iPhone at all. With warmer sounding amp/dac it's another level of enjoyment entirely.

May 29, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #1,567 of 2,803
They drive loud enough with the Xperia Z5 at max volume (the Z5 only has 0.35V output), though they do sound somewhat V-shaped. The sub-bass is more punchy while the highs can get a tad sibilant and unforgiving of more compressed music. 

May 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #1,571 of 2,803
May 30, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,572 of 2,803
Hi everyone!
I've tried to find an answer by searching this thread and failed. So, i'm going to ask and hope somebody here has the info i need:)
So. the question is: can MSR7 be used with the balanced cable? You know, the one with a 2.5mm jack. I' m quiet pleased with this phones but that balance out on my Cain N5 just keeps taunting me and my curiosity. So, is there a chance i could finally test it without buying some new pair of phones?
Thanks.

May 31, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #1,573 of 2,803
Can't. Because the jack on the headphone is still unbalanced. Only MDR-1A have balanced jack on the headphone side

May 31, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #1,574 of 2,803
  Hi everyone!
I've tried to find an answer by searching this thread and failed. So, i'm going to ask and hope somebody here has the info i need:)
So. the question is: can MSR7 be used with the balanced cable? You know, the one with a 2.5mm jack. I' m quiet pleased with this phones but that balance out on my Cain N5 just keeps taunting me and my curiosity. So, is there a chance i could finally test it without buying some new pair of phones?
Thanks.

It would be possible with modifications but not in the stock form - as riposte said, the socket is three-pole, so you would need to change the internal wiring and replace the socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back