Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 31, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #1,576 of 2,803
I have the Japan import as it was the only available model when I purchased.
As I understand it the only difference is the warranty on the import is only honored in Japan.
Hopefully that won't become an issue for me.

May 31, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #1,577 of 2,803
So I've bit the bullet and got the MSR7's ordered and they should be here tomorrow.
Is there anything that people would like answered about them?
Should be able to give a good impression in about a week's time.
Or anything to look out for?

May 31, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #1,578 of 2,803
Just got them from the Amazon deal for the factory refurbished for $129.00 usd. I gotta say they look like a brand new pair. Everything came they same as they did my brand new pair of ckr9s. Build quality is phenomenal and the thing that I was worried about the most is nonexistent. It has absolutely no noise/creaks when messing  with the headphones. Whether that's because they are a refurb or that they fixed that issue. I'm not quite sure. Comfort is also better than I expected with no hotspot forming or pain on the head. Only slight issues I found is that my ears tend to get a little warm, and the sound isolation is not suited for true portable use.

On to the sound. The bass is punchy with good detail and articulation in the mid bass with plenty of slam. The sub bass however, could use a little more extension. Mids seem to be a bit forward with upper mids/lower treble having a slight peak, that gives female vocals great energy and detail.  However, unlike my ckr9s which also have a peak in the upper mids the MSR7s also convey male vocals very well with enough warmth in them, so they don't start to sound overly thin or hollow. Treble has great extension and is very clean. Im very much a treble head, so with that said, I never found the treble harsh or sibilant. I found the soundstage to be very good especially considering it's an closed back headphone. Imaging is superb with good instrument placement even with fast and crowded metal tracks.

Overall I instantly fell in love with these headphones and feel it punches way above its price bracket of $250-300. And considering the deal still stands for 150 at Amazon, its an absolute steal at that price.

May 31, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #1,579 of 2,803
I just paid £159 GBP for them. I feel like the UK prices are way unfair as that equates to roughly $230 usd. How can they have such a huge void between continents? Anyway, I'll be seeing if that's money well spent in a few days. Fingers crossed!

May 31, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #1,580 of 2,803
  I just paid £159 GBP for them. I feel like the UK prices are way unfair as that equates to roughly $230 usd. How can they have such a huge void between continents? Anyway, I'll be seeing if that's money well spent in a few days. Fingers crossed!

The deal I stumbled upon is very rare and doesn't usually ever happen. Not to mention the pair I bought were factory refurbs. With that said I would have happily spent much more money for these as they are that good. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.  
dt880smile.png

May 31, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,582 of 2,803
  Lucky you! Have you had them long? Are they truly portable? I may plan on taking them into the office and don't want the sound leaking

Ive had them for a couple of days. And while they don't really leak that much sound. I found that they really don't isolate that well for being a closed back. While I could potentially see them being used in an office environment, it would entirely depend on how noisy your office is.   

Jun 1, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #1,583 of 2,803
I listen to them in my office and share a cube with 4 people. They all say they can't hear anything and I have them cranked up quite a bit.

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #1,585 of 2,803
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #1,586 of 2,803
Jun 1, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,587 of 2,803
Hi, I want to know which is better between the MSR7, sony mdr-1a, shure shr840 and the Ath M50X? I know it's too general to ask but if I were to listen to Daft Punk and that kind of genre what headphone is the best one for? To be precise, I like to hear every details, the drum the guitar that you can say it's "isolated" between one another. Sorry for my english I'm not a native speaker. And definitely not an audiophile. Just saying the very best means of describing the music that I want. Thanks in advance! 

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #1,588 of 2,803
  Hi, I want to know which is better between the MSR7, sony mdr-1a, shure shr840 and the Ath M50X? I know it's too general to ask but if I were to listen to Daft Punk and that kind of genre what headphone is the best one for? To be precise, I like to hear every details, the drum the guitar that you can say it's "isolated" between one another. Sorry for my english I'm not a native speaker. And definitely not an audiophile. Just saying the very best means of describing the music that I want. Thanks in advance! 

Buy the MSR7 if you want "detail".

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #1,589 of 2,803
Or WS1100. I'm still don't have a chance to try it, but from headfoniastore video and local audio group discussion, I can see WS1100 have very positive review

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #1,590 of 2,803
MSR7 really brings out the details in Random Access Memories - you can hear the layering in Touch and Giorgio by Moroder.  One possible downside is that there is not much warmth or decay of the soundstage - the M50x has more reverb or decay, but some people don't like it as it can sound more muddy. I've only tried the WS1100 briefly but from what I recall its sound was quite warm warm and has emphasis on midbass rather than sub-bass - didn't really sound all that "bassy" to me, and maybe a tad more "muddy" than the M50x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back