Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jun 2, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #1,592 of 2,803
Hi
i bought the ATH-MSR7 two days ago and it literally made me cry from the first song
such detailed and layered sound
but there's one little problem i faced
when i play some high quality FLAC files at 100% volume, a bit of squeak sound ruins the song for me, sometimes it appears a few times or sometimes all throughout the song in a noisy way.
so if anyone knows how to deal with this i'd be thankful.

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #1,593 of 2,803
  Hi
i bought the ATH-MSR7 two days ago and it literally made me cry from the first song
such detailed and layered sound
but there's one little problem i faced
when i play some high quality FLAC files at 100% volume, a bit of squeak sound ruins the song for me, sometimes it appears a few times or sometimes all throughout the song in a noisy way.
so if anyone knows how to deal with this i'd be thankful.

I mean, at 100% volume, depending on the source, you could be experiencing the limits of either the headphone or the amplifier, seems odd that you would only experience this with FLAC files. If it is only with FLAC files, theres something wrong with your source, but my guess is that at 100% volume you're pushing the headphone's drivers, your amp, or your ears too hard. you might also be experiencing sibilance, if you're not familiar with the term look it up in the head-fi audiophile terms. Be safe, don't play too loud 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 3, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #1,594 of 2,803
100% volume? 
blink.gif

Either the source is extremely weak, the audio files are recorded very quietly or you are just blowing your ears, as the MSR7 is actually very sensitive and doesn't require much voltage to become excessively loud.

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #1,596 of 2,803
yeah only with flac files, the problem is also sometimes it is too clear that it becomes annoying and noisy
so i think it might be the source
and sibilance is exactly the problem !
i found that at 80% volume it plays wonderfully and with exactly the same experience,
thank you so much for replying :)

Jun 3, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #1,597 of 2,803
  yeah only with flac files, the problem is also sometimes it is too clear that it becomes annoying and noisy
i found that at 80% volume it plays wonderfully and with exactly the same experience,

Buy a Sansa Clip won't cost you much and if it continues it might be your Flac files.

Jun 4, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #1,598 of 2,803

No problem. maybe the issue is the exact files you have on FLAC, not the file type itself, since it seems to me that they are just a bit bright for you, perhaps with the specific tracks you are running into problems with. Issues in the recording, mastering brightness, sibilance, etc., these headphones aren't too forgiving of it. Good luck getting things sorted out

Jun 5, 2016 at 7:16 AM Post #1,599 of 2,803
Hello. Can anyone help me to choose between MSR7 and Yamaha MT220? I noted that both are accurate and shine on details. I do not need it to be portable and will mainly use it for home listening. My prefered music type is accoustic, female vocal and Rock.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who can share impression on both. Thank you... :)

Jun 5, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,600 of 2,803
Hello. Can anyone help me to choose between MSR7 and Yamaha MT220? I noted that both are accurate and shine on details. I do not need it to be portable and will mainly use it for home listening. My prefered music type is accoustic, female vocal and Rock.
It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who can share impression on both. Thank you...
smily_headphones1.gif

These two headphones are entirely different from one another - while the MSR7 are very bright headphones, the MT220 are slightly dark.
Hence, both of them are a bit picky when it comes to source matching. The MSR7 can sound harsh on a bright source and the MT220 can sound a bit dull on a dark source. I would say the MT220 are a bit easier to match, i.e. more tolerant to various kinds of sources. Which player, amp, etc. do you have?

In general the MSR7 sound clearer and the MT220 sound fuller. The MSR7 emphasise highs, the MT220 put more focus on the mids.
I guess for acoustic the MSR7 are more suitable but for vocal and rock the MT220 are better. The MSR7 are likely to impress more during initial listening but the MT220 are certainly less tiring for the ears in long listening sessions.

I would slightly favour the MT220. But in the end it depends on your preferences and, above all, the source you are using.

Jun 5, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #1,601 of 2,803

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone who can share impression on both. Thank you... :)

These two headphones are entirely different from one another - while the MSR7 are very bright headphones, the MT220 are slightly dark.
Hence, both of them are a bit picky when it comes to source matching. The MSR7 can sound harsh on a bright source and the MT220 can sound a bit dull on a dark source. I would say the MT220 are a bit easier to match, i.e. more tolerant to various kinds of sources. Which player, amp, etc. do you have?

In general the MSR7 sound clearer and the MT220 sound fuller. The MSR7 emphasise highs, the MT220 put more focus on the mids.
I guess for acoustic the MSR7 are more suitable but for vocal and rock the MT220 are better. The MSR7 are likely to impress more during initial listening but the MT220 are certainly less tiring for the ears in long listening sessions.

I would slightly favour the MT220. But in the end it depends on your preferences and, above all, the source you are using.

Thank you So much for your detailed explanation. It was very helpful. :)

My source is MacBook air>Meridian Explorer, Fiio X1 and Shozy Alien Gold. File format is Flac (44k,16 bit) ripped from CD and MP3 320kbps.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,602 of 2,803
Just want to add to the thread.

I was after portable headphones recently. Ideally I wanted something that is as fun as my fidelio x2s. After some research and demo'ing I purchased msr7 (over a month ago). In the process I had a go with Momentums 2 (around ear), B&O  H6, Bose SoundTrue II, Fidelio L2.

I love my msr7. The clarity, details, tight punchy bass, fun and engage aspects, isolation from external sounds is absolutely outstanding. They are very different to X2s but still very fun. Feeding from Dragonfly Black on the go and Mojo in house.

Jun 6, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #1,603 of 2,803
Thank you So much for your detailed explanation. It was very helpful.
smily_headphones1.gif

My source is MacBook air>Meridian Explorer, Fiio X1 and Shozy Alien Gold. File format is Flac (44k,16 bit) ripped from CD and MP3 320kbps.

Unfortunately I do not have any of these sources. However, I have heard that the Fiio X1 is a slightly darker source. So possibly in this case the MSR7 would be a good match?

Jun 6, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #1,604 of 2,803
  Just want to add to the thread.

I was after portable headphones recently. Ideally I wanted something that is as fun as my fidelio x2s. After some research and demo'ing I purchased msr7 (over a month ago). In the process I had a go with Momentums 2 (around ear), B&O  H6, Bose SoundTrue II, Fidelio L2.

I love my msr7. The clarity, details, tight punchy bass, fun and engage aspects, isolation from external sounds is absolutely outstanding. They are very different to X2s but still very fun. Feeding from Dragonfly Black on the go and Mojo in house.

Is that a Galaxy S6 or S7? How do you like the quality straight out of the phone vs. the DF and Mojo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back