Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jun 9, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,621 of 2,803
Tried perusing the old pages but could'nt find a definite answer so sorry if this has been asked before.  Has anyone found more breathable earpads? While the comfort is fine for the stock ones, my ears tend to get a bit warm after a couple of hours of wear.  Has anyone tried the shure 1540 alcantara pads?

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,622 of 2,803
Thank you So much for your detailed explanation. It was very helpful. :)

My source is MacBook air>Meridian Explorer, Fiio X1 and Shozy Alien Gold. File format is Flac (44k,16 bit) ripped from CD and MP3 320kbps.

I don't know what the MT220 sound like, but the sound stage on the MSR7 is very wide for a closed headphone. I didn't see a mention on this so figured I would chime in.

I primarily listen to rock, the MSR7 is great with rock and heavy metal.

Thank you for sharing.. I will definitely check out MSR7 soon.. :blush:

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #1,624 of 2,803
Tried perusing the old pages but could'nt find a definite answer so sorry if this has been asked before.  Has anyone found more breathable earpads? While the comfort is fine for the stock ones, my ears tend to get a bit warm after a couple of hours of wear.  Has anyone tried the shure 1540 alcantara pads?
Brainwaz velour pads will fit but the SQ will change. Even less bass.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #1,625 of 2,803

Absolutely do not change the pads on the MSR7. I have tried the Alcantara pads and brainwavz hm5 angled pads, and lambskin shallow studio monitor pads. Literally all of them ruin the bass,  increase treble  and lose isolation as well. The worst are the alcantara pads, then the hm5 pads, and then the shallow studio monitor pads. Just don't do it, save your money and keep the stock pads. If you need to replacement there are pads exactly like the stock ones on sale on ebay. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #1,626 of 2,803

Absolutely do not change the pads on the MSR7. I have tried the Alcantara pads and brainwavz hm5 angled pads, and lambskin shallow studio monitor pads. Literally all of them ruin the bass,  increase treble  and lose isolation as well. The worst are the alcantara pads, then the hm5 pads, and then the shallow studio monitor pads. Just don't do it, save your money and keep the stock pads. If you need to replacement there are pads exactly like the stock ones on sale on ebay. 

Interesting. Disappointed to hear that changing the pads changes the sound so dramatically. I love the sound on these. 
frown.gif
 Oh well, it was a minor gripe to begin with.

Jun 9, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,627 of 2,803
There's no way to change the pads without changing the sound, which applies to all headphones I've had. Changing from pleather (hot but good isolation) to velour (more breathable, not-so-good isolation) will always decrease the bass and vice versa. I was once a HD540 but in the end decided against it because the owner change the pads from velour into pleather, and the pads that are close to the original were very hard to find on ebay. For the MSR7 it goes the same. So I guess best thing you can do is take it off after a while. It's better for your health too.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #1,629 of 2,803
Buy Yaxi microfiber pads.
But I'm using STPads, almost have same sound signature with default earpads

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #1,631 of 2,803
http://www.yaxi.jp/shop-for-oversea/

stPad microfiber

studio headphone DX (stPad)

Example (image by headfonia store). Still stPad, just different color (they have blue-red, red-red, blue-blue too)

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #1,633 of 2,803

Can you describe changes?

Very subtile! Bass less overwhelming, maybe a bit clearer, but nothing really important. You not get a whole different sound.  And be aware, if old pads were really not in good shape, it can be also an important factor. But man, what are they warm on my ears, they are soaked after my evening walk....  

Jun 10, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #1,634 of 2,803

Very subtile! Bass less overwhelming, maybe a bit clearer, but nothing really important. You not get a whole different sound.  And be aware, if old pads were really not in good shape, it can be also an important factor. But man, what are they warm on my ears, they are soaked after my evening walk....  

yes, 

hot, tight, and bright.
welcome to the world of the M7R7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back