Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 22, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #1,546 of 2,803
Audio Technica fan here. :)

I bought the MSR7 about a month ago now. Out of the few pairs of AT Inown, these are my favorite!

The bass is right. The mids nice and highs are very detailed. Highs can be a bit bright at times, but not offending.

My favorite part is the soundstage. I was really blown away by the wide soundstage these produce. Out of all the closed headphones I have owned, these have the best soundstage.

I have the brown ones and love the looks of them. Did have to add oil to quite the pivot of the cups.

Excellent headphones for the price.

May 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,547 of 2,803
What kind of oil did you use? Mine creaks quite a bit at the hinges but not when I'm actually wearing them and clamped tight. I was more annoyed by the earcup constantly touching rubber pad on the hinge - it makes a knocking sound. On the right side in particular making a "sticky" sound (the pad may have some stickiness to it) and I tried minimizing it with a sticky paper blocking the pad. However I still heard the occasional knock of the pad the earcup - now I put some foam on that area of the hinge and the knocking is greatly reduced. Now I'm getting OCD over the sound of my hair rustling against the earpads when I move my hair. Well, I guess there's some sounds you can't really take away from listening to headphones (like wearing IEMs I can sometimes hear the blood flow from my jaw).

I've had mine for about 5 months and it still looks almost as good as when i first bought it 

As for sound I agree they are bright but not usually sibilant as some say. I think what I'm hearing mostly is the sheer detail in the highs and not actual sibilance. Soundstage is pretty wide but it doesn't have a lot of decay to it. M50x with Sound Professional Velour pads had a soundstage just as wide but with more reverb. Then again, sometimes this reverb is unnatural and may muddle up some of the layers. The MSR7 has a deep soundstage but not in terms of the sound resonating but the deep layering of instrument separation.

May 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #1,548 of 2,803
What kind of oil did you use? Mine creaks quite a bit at the hinges but not when I'm actually wearing them and clamped tight. I was more annoyed by the earcup constantly touching rubber pad on the hinge - it makes a knocking sound. On the right side in particular making a "sticky" sound (the pad may have some stickiness to it) and I tried minimizing it with a sticky paper blocking the pad. However I still heard the occasional knock of the pad the earcup - now I put some foam on that area of the hinge and the knocking is greatly reduced. Now I'm getting OCD over the sound of my hair rustling against the earpads when I move my hair. Well, I guess there's some sounds you can't really take away from listening to headphones (like wearing IEMs I can sometimes hear the blood flow from my jaw).

I've had mine for about 5 months and it still looks almost as good as when i first bought it 

As for sound I agree they are bright but not usually sibilant as some say. I think what I'm hearing mostly is the sheer detail in the highs and not actual sibilance. Soundstage is pretty wide but it doesn't have a lot of decay to it. M50x with Sound Professional Velour pads had a soundstage just as wide but with more reverb. Then again, sometimes this reverb is unnatural and may muddle up some of the layers. The MSR7 has a deep soundstage but not in terms of the sound resonating but the deep layering of instrument separation.

I had some blade oil from my clippers. Worked great and wiped off the excess.

Just a drop between the crack did the trick.

May 23, 2016 at 5:27 AM Post #1,550 of 2,803
The A1000Z are probably most similar to the MSR7. A2000Z are somewhat thin sounding, with less bass, seriously sharp but not fatiguing highs. A990Z are a bit colored, V shaped and fun sounding. Overall the soundstage is much bigger with the ART series - they almost feel like open headphones. Headband/Wings are redesigned and similar to the R70x (=super comfortable) and do not feel loose as on the AD1000X. I got the feeling the MSR7 are a bit warmer than A1000Z and still have the edge on the highs accuracy (the A1000Z felt more fatiguing). On the other hand - dat A2000Z highs..., they're something else.
No idea about the woodies.

May 23, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #1,551 of 2,803
  The A1000Z are probably most similar to the MSR7. A2000Z are somewhat thin sounding, with less bass, seriously sharp but not fatiguing highs. A990Z are a bit colored, V shaped and fun sounding. Overall the soundstage is much bigger with the ART series - they almost feel like open headphones. Headband/Wings are redesigned and similar to the R70x (=super comfortable) and do not feel loose as on the AD1000X. I got the feeling the MSR7 are a bit warmer than A1000Z and still have the edge on the highs accuracy (the A1000Z felt more fatiguing). On the other hand - dat A2000Z highs..., they're something else.
No idea about the woodies.

Is there a significant difference sonically between the A1000X and Z or is it mainly in the design?

May 24, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #1,552 of 2,803
Not exactly sure how the X-series perform. The A1000X and A2000X, as reported, sounded quite similar, whereas the A1000Z and A2000Z do not. They also seem to improve the A990 by taming the highs (less fatiguing) and bass (less bloated).

May 26, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #1,553 of 2,803
I love my modified A2000X and look forward to trying out the new Z version some time in the future, but no one has posted impressions here between the two to give some kind of preview, I think.
I'll have to scour Japanese sites for impressions.  Mendoksai.

Back on topic, I look forward to trying out MSR7. Yet another headphone on my long to-try list, haha.

May 26, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,554 of 2,803
Just got my MSR7 and I'm REALLY impressed. It's the closest closed can I've heard that has the Grado sound. Brightish and forward and slamming. Also don't believe people when they say these have light bass. The bass slams when it's in the recording. Fantastic definition too. I'm a happy Chappy.
Ps....they're noticeably more transparent than my m50x's too.

May 26, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #1,555 of 2,803
Just got my MSR7 and I'm REALLY impressed. It's the closest closed can I've heard that has the Grado sound. Brightish and forward and slamming. Also don't believe people when they say these have light bass. The bass slams when it's in the recording. Fantastic definition too. I'm a happy Chappy.

I have to agree with the Grado-like sound.  The MSR7 seems to have thinner more strident mids but the Grados were more in your face (it's been a while since I listened to them so I could be off).  I had the SR60 and SR325is.  Currently have the SR80i.  The MSR7 have way better imaging though.

Because I find them a bit too bright at normal listening levels, I have to turn them down.  Maybe that's why I feel they are a bit bass light.  I'm not saying there's no bass, just bass light compared to that bright top end.  Of course that is just my opinion and YMMV.  Also I have only listened to them for a couple weeks now on and off.

May 26, 2016 at 4:15 PM Post #1,556 of 2,803

You forgot really wide sound stage too.  :)

These are much better than the m50's. Vocals are much better, detail and sound stage.

May 27, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #1,560 of 2,803
Wow, super deal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back