Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 8, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,531 of 2,803
  Thanks to @riposte that i found a replacement for the default pad 
biggrin.gif

I ordered the stPad microfiber one and it fits perfectly with MSR7, overall the stPad slightly improves the sound's quality that suited for my taste (bass is reduced a bit, mid range sounds less forward and extends the treble range a bit). IMO the stPad is a better choice than the HM5 Pleather Pad despite the material of the pads is different (I tried HM5 few months ago - it is much more comfortable compared to the default one but it tarnished the sound's quality 
frown.gif
).

The shortfall I found is that Yaxi does not put their product on any website, hence you will have to contact them directly (So far I did not see any distributor outside of Japan excepts one from Indonesia).

Glad to hear that 
biggrin.gif
 Agree with HM5 earpads impression

May 8, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #1,532 of 2,803
The Audio Technica ATH-MSR7NC seems to be on Amazon now.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7NC-High-Resolution-Headphones-Cancellation/dp/B01AZ01E4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462717005&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+ath-msr7nc

Anyone wanna pick them up?

May 8, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #1,533 of 2,803

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-MSR7NC-High-Resolution-Headphones-Cancellation/dp/B01AZ01E4A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462717005&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technica+ath-msr7nc

Naaaah. For one they got rid of the colour highlights and the oldschool L/R markings, for two they are pricey as hell.
Although it'd be interesting to see them fare against the QC series, and see how NC changes the signature, if at all.

May 8, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #1,534 of 2,803

I picked one up last week. Still waiting on them to arrive. Although, I don't have any thing compared to except a 5 minute session with the Bose QC25. 

If AT claimed that they sound similar to the original MSR7 with NC and with out. I'm not too worried.

May 8, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #1,535 of 2,803
  I picked one up last week. Still waiting on them to arrive. Although, I don't have any thing compared to except a 5 minute session with the Bose QC25. 

If AT claimed that they sound similar to the original MSR7 with NC and with out. I'm not too worried.

If it's literally just an MSR7 with NC with a decent faithfulness to the original signature, then it's arguably the best portable headphone with NC, period. Whether it's worth paying considerably more money for the NC is another thing though.

I recently bought the classic MSR7 and I absolutely love it.

Also, I bought the Navitech hardcase for it and I recommend it to anyone considering a hardcase without much bells and whistles. Very durable. Available here.

UK version here.

May 8, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #1,536 of 2,803
Has anyone got their hands on the SR5 or SR5BT yet? Here's a review in Chinese: http://www.techbang.com/posts/42811-elegant-bel-canto-wireless-plus-audio-technica-ath-sr5bt?related_post=true

If it's literally just an MSR7 with NC with a decent faithfulness to the original signature, then it's arguably the best portable headphone with NC, period. Whether it's worth paying considerably more money for the NC is another thing though.

I wish AT had also included Bluetooth as Sony has done that with their new version h.ear on MDR-100ABN. However it does cost 50$ more than the MSR7 and the sound is warmer and bassier -  I tried the original passive version (MDR-100AAP) and thought its midrange too distant, even more so than the M50x. That said it's still a good option if you prefer a laid-back sound, and it's also more portable as you can fold it up.

Here is a review in Chinese, impressions are positive, although it doesn't directly compare it to the MSR7 or anything else: http://www.techbang.com/posts/42138

And this is pretty embarassing video "demonstrating" the NC: https://www.facebook.com/AudioTechnicaUSA/videos/1069462766425394/

Also, apparently AT Australia sells an exclusive hard case but only in-store.

May 8, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #1,538 of 2,803

Naaaah. For one they got rid of the colour highlights and the oldschool L/R markings, for two they are pricey as hell.
Although it'd be interesting to see them fare against the QC series, and see how NC changes the signature, if at all.

Yeah, I was just hoping someone would get them and comment on its build haha. I think I've said this before but I couldn't stand how creaky the MSR7's were and I was hoping that they improved in that regard in the MSR7NC.

May 10, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #1,539 of 2,803
Got my pair of the NC versions in. Just some quick impressions (Using a M920, LG G4 w/ Poweramp and Spotify (extreme quality)).

- There is some minimal creaking but it doesn't bother me. Not sure how is the original MSR7s were.
- Clamping force seems fine on my average size head.
- I'm getting a somewhat hot spot on top of my head.
- The sound is like what I read about the original MSR7.
- NC on and off, I didn't notice any sound differences besides me having to crank the volume up when NC is off.
- NC is great but honestly, I think the Bose still wins in terms of NC.
- Accessories wise, only came with 2 cables (1 mic, 1 no mic), airplane adapter thingy, usb cable, baggy.

Honestly, I don't have any complains. I always love the AT sound. Headphones looks great but I do miss the blue/red trimmings from the original MSR7s. L and R letters, I am liking more than the left and right font they use currently. Probably gonna give it a good listening session in the office tomorrow.

May 11, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,540 of 2,803
  - NC on and off, I didn't notice any sound differences besides me having to crank the volume up when NC is off.

Is there any hissing or DSP artifacts with NC on? How well do they drive when NC is off? We still don't know the passive impedance and sensitivity of the MSR7NC as AT only gave the specs in active mode which are 150 ohms and 104 dB. The MSR7 is loud enough for my Xperia Z5 which is rather underpowered at 0.35V.

I've started to notice some more creaking on my left earcup hinge now. Like the right side I previously noted, I can bend the hinge a bit to reproduce where the creaking is coming from. It only happens when I move the headphones around my head (my ears are getting quite itchy from the velour pads).

May 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #1,541 of 2,803

- The sound is like what I read about the original MSR7.
- NC is great but honestly, I think the Bose still wins in terms of NC.

The Bose QC 25 is actually a  good sounding headphone + the NC is outstanding.
Its very comfortable and it has eons of sonic detail.
And yes, its Bose, its plastic, and everyone has a bias against Bose products........sure.....but, its a surprisingly good sounding headphone
that most buy because of the NC, and then (happily) find that it also sounds  good.
Its not the same value or bargain @ $299 that you find with the V- 3 Fostex T50RP which is a gift @ $150, however, Bose got a lot of things right on the money
with the QC25.
Its a very enjoyable gear.

May 11, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,542 of 2,803
  Is there any hissing or DSP artifacts with NC on? How well do they drive when NC is off? We still don't know the passive impedance and sensitivity of the MSR7NC as AT only gave the specs in active mode which are 150 ohms and 104 dB. The MSR7 is loud enough for my Xperia Z5 which is rather underpowered at 0.35V.

I've started to notice some more creaking on my left earcup hinge now. Like the right side I previously noted, I can bend the hinge a bit to reproduce where the creaking is coming from. It only happens when I move the headphones around my head (my ears are getting quite itchy from the velour pads).

I haven't heard any hissing or artifacts so far. Used it with my Macbook Pro and my LG G4, dead quiet. My phone powers it without any issues (I dont have exact numbers on wattage it outputs on the 3.5mm jack). With NC off, I have to bump it a few notches up from 50% (NC on).

The Bose QC 25 is actually a  good sounding headphone + the NC is outstanding.
Its very comfortable and it has eons of sonic detail.
And yes, its Bose, its plastic, and everyone has a bias against Bose products........sure.....but, its a surprisingly good sounding headphone
that most buy because of the NC, and then (happily) find that it also sounds  good.
Its not the same value or bargain @ $299 that you find with the V- 3 Fostex T50RP which is a gift @ $150, however, Bose got a lot of things right on the money
with the QC25.
Its a very enjoyable gear.

I agree. The QC25s do sound great.

May 11, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #1,543 of 2,803
More observations: I listened to my MSR7 with my Magni/Modi 2 Uber combo last night and they were way to bright.  These need a warm source.  I've been using my DACport Slim at work with good results.

May 11, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #1,545 of 2,803
So guys. I've had my MSR7 for 1 week now. I have to say that I am extremely impressed. While I don't generally wear headphones out and about, these are some VERY public-friendly cans. They sound pretty good straight out of my OnePlus X when they do get to enjoy some fresh air which is a bonus. I am driving the MSR7 with my Aune X1s and feel like they get along quite nicely. I feel like the over sound signature is very balanced. They sound very natural with perhaps the most natural highs I have experienced in headphones to date. I feel like the bass is pretty detailed and has good self-control, never overpowering the mids, but still like to flex it's muscles when called upon. The word I would use to describe them would be visceral. The mids are very natural in presentation. Not really forward sounding, but never outdone by the bass or treble. The highs are extremely natural to my ears. I have never been entirely happy with any of my previous cans' treble presentation. They either felt too grainy, or splashy, or just lacking in presence. These are perfectly balanced and have a great sense of air but very present. I only find sibilance to be a concern from the worst offenders in my library that have never *not* been sibilant. I was a bit hesitant of the highs when i looked at a FR graph but those concerned went out the window when I first heard them. The soundstage is pretty damn good for closed cans, in my opinion, with perhaps a bit more depth than width. I would certainly say the soundstage is adequate for closed cans at this price point. Am I missing something? I'm sure that I am, so let me know if you find it. :wink: 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back