Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Nov 23, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #631 of 699
I'm doing my best not to pull a "Charles McCord" in this thread, but all this mod-talk about a headphone with overwhelming 5-star ratings on Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H, and other sellers is just STUPID.

People out in California have lost everything - some, even their lives - and no doubt, a few sets of ATH-M40 headphones, and you guys have that much time to be adding this and moving that to create changes in their sound that are largely placebo and your own perception??

Get.

A.

Life!!!
Bro.....go calculate with different pads...

Velour cuts 3dB of mid bass....

So, for those who have money and want to mod their pair...

Solderdude gave the measurement....so that ain't placebo...

And other thing

Its our hobby, our life

We wanna mod the hell out

(No offence bro)

And m40x with felt and velour sounds very good....I mean very very good

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #632 of 699
I'm doing my best not to pull a "Charles McCord" in this thread, but all this mod-talk about a headphone with overwhelming 5-star ratings on Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H, and other sellers is just STUPID.

People out in California have lost everything - some, even their lives - and no doubt, a few sets of ATH-M40 headphones, and you guys have that much time to be adding this and moving that to create changes in their sound that are largely placebo and your own perception??

Get.

A.

Life!!!

Dude, I *live* in California, and our air has been affected by the fires for close to 3 weeks. Life goes on.

If I want to change the pads on my not-5-star-for-me M40x's, who are you to judge?

Maybe you should go find another thread where you can offer some *constructive* criticism. Have a nice day. :beerchug:

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #633 of 699
Bro.....go calculate with different pads...

Velour cuts 3dB of mid bass....

So, for those who have money and want to mod their pair...

Solderdude gave the measurement....so that ain't placebo...

And other thing

Its our hobby, our life

We wanna mod the hell out

(No offence bro)

And m40x with felt and velour sounds very good....I mean very very good

Dude, I *live* in California, and our air has been affected by the fires for close to 3 weeks. Life goes on.

If I want to change the pads on my not-5-star-for-me M40x's, who are you to judge?

Maybe you should go find another thread where you can offer some *constructive* criticism. Have a nice day. :beerchug:

Fine guys, waste your time eking out 1/10th percent improvement in the sound of something. I was into that in my twenties, but I grew out of it. If something gets high ratings and reviews in OEM form, there must be a reason for that, and that's good enough for me.

Nov 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #634 of 699
I got the point now...

you want to talk about bad quality air affecting your life

I live in India and our nation is on red alert of pollution
AQI was 999, which is dangerous to gas chambers used by Nazi's...

Get.

A.

Life!!!

Man, you dont need to go somewhere else, but think before you write on such a critical topic, as others are also going through your sort of issues, or maybe even more deadly.

And by the way, solderdude mod on m40x is spot on.

LoL

So now you think about no difference in sound.

Get a mic, because brain is sometime a fool or adament.

Measure yourself if you can

Direct 4dB cut.....in mid bass

3dB cut means half of volume is gone now.

Felt cures the treble, simple science. It absorbs higher frequency.

Total cost 35$

And your quote says about politician and ears(go read it lol) .....I am saying to use a mic

1st and main advantage: velour is damm comfortable compared to crappy audio technica pads.

2nd : mid bass seems to be equal to subbass which smoothens the lower mids

3rd: treble is smoothened

More neutral monitor, better stage and better comfort.

Even if the sound effect for somebody is negligible, comfort gains are tremendous

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #635 of 699
I got the point now...

you want to talk about bad quality air affecting your life

I live in India and our nation is on red alert of pollution
AQI was 999, which is dangerous to gas chambers used by Nazi's...

Man, you dont need to go somewhere else, but think before you write on such a critical topic, as others are also going through your sort of issues, or maybe even more deadly.

And by the way, solderdude mod on m40x is spot on.

LoL

So now you think about no difference in sound.

Get a mic, because brain is sometime a fool or adament.

Measure yourself if you can

Direct 4dB cut.....in mid bass

3dB cut means half of volume is gone now.

Felt cures the treble, simple science. It absorbs higher frequency.

Total cost 35$

And your quote says about politician and ears(go read it lol) .....I am saying to use a mic

1st and main advantage: velour is damm comfortable compared to ****ty audio technica pads.

2nd : mid bass seems to be equal to subbass which smoothens the lower mids

3rd: treble is smoothened

More neutral monitor, better stage and better comfort.

Even if the sound effect for somebody is negligible, comfort gains are tremendous

I live in neither Cali or Indy and feel blessed not to have those circumstances in my life. But: seeing this STUPID THREAD constantly back on top in my notifications make me think about priorities.

Maybe the changes brought about by your(collectively all of you) mods are measurable, but are they significantly AUDIBLE? Did you replace the phones on your head precisely the same way you did before taking them off your head to tweak something? Of course not! Your head + headphones do NOT = two precision parts mating under the hood of a BMW - nobody's does. They'll be back on your head of course, but in a slightly different place, perhaps 1-2mm forward or back, on one side or both. That right THERE is just enough to offset any of your endless modifications, to pads or elsewise, or even enough to make you think you heard a difference.

And as for comfort? I auditioned the M40x for over ten minutes in a store. I took them off, browsed some other sections, then put them back on for another session. I'm not the kind to 1. Read about a top-rated can, then 2. Rush into a retailer and buy it after only ten seconds of wearing it and listening through it. I take my time. I might not even buy it during that first visit(I'm not Joe Moneybags lol!). I might re-audition if the store is along my route that week, or month.

That's how I buy sound gear. But remember I'm not impugning you of any of the above(rushing in and buying).

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #636 of 699
I live in neither Cali or Indy and feel blessed not to have those circumstances in my life. But: seeing this STUPID THREAD constantly back on top in my notifications make me think about priorities.

Maybe the changes brought about by your(collectively all of you) mods are measurable, but are they significantly AUDIBLE? Did you replace the phones on your head precisely the same way you did before taking them off your head to tweak something? Of course not! Your head + headphones do NOT = two precision parts mating under the hood of a BMW - nobody's does. They'll be back on your head of course, but in a slightly different place, perhaps 1-2mm forward or back, on one side or both. That right THERE is just enough to offset any of your endless modifications, to pads or elsewise, or even enough to make you think you heard a difference.

And as for comfort? I auditioned the M40x for over ten minutes in a store. I took them off, browsed some other sections, then put them back on for another session. I'm not the kind to 1. Read about a top-rated can, then 2. Rush into a retailer and buy it after only ten seconds of wearing it and listening through it. I take my time. I might not even buy it during that first visit(I'm not Joe Moneybags lol!). I might re-audition if the store is along my route that week, or month.

That's how I buy sound gear. But remember I'm not impugning you of any of the above(rushing in and buying).
you have your point and you should have written it earlier bro....

but the mods i am doing makes significant changes which is audible in whatever matter i wear them. Changes do happen every time i wear them as the drivers were not aligned as they were some minutes ago, but the difference is drastic.

Mods aim is to increase comfort first
without sacrificing sound or just improving it by a notch

sometimes people rush and we put the info for everyone to help themselves and in exchange we learn how science works.

the modding gave birth to Mr. Speakers headphone, who are the best planar makers(Better than Audeze and HiFiman).

so dont put people down just because you dont like modding.

I agree with you, but if i dont have monnies to buy new pair after some period of time and do want a sound change and comfort change, i will do the mod.

and i am not those guy who mod for minute not noticeable change.....

i do solder capacitor or resistor if needed

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #637 of 699

I *mus* be missing something: where is the *constructiveness* of your post? Or are you just a TROLL?

Please remove the notification for you of this thread. That way, others of us who are interested in these headphones don't have to be bothered by your meaningless posts. Thank you, now please move along. :deadhorse:

Nov 26, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #643 of 699

Here is Solderdude's PDF for those inclined for a refresh. A relatively cheap way to improve the M40x's over stock. And ... the Shure earpads are more comfortable too. :wink:

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #644 of 699
Here is Solderdude's PDF for those inclined for a refresh. A relatively cheap way to improve the M40x's over stock. And ... the Shure earpads are more comfortable too. :wink:
As you can see, in this thread, I have said I have already done this mod.

Well the more simple way of doing this mod is by getting ZMF micro seude eikon perforated(velour) pads.

It does both taming the mid bass and treble, plus making more angle and distance to driver, creating good soundstage

Nov 26, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #645 of 699
As you can see, in this thread, I have said I have already done this mod.

Well the more simple way of doing this mod is by getting ZMF micro seude eikon perforated(velour) pads.

It does both taming the mid bass and treble, plus making more angle and distance to driver, creating good soundstage

These? http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-suede-earpads

Any cheaper place to get them? The Shure 940 pads are less than $20.

And when you pick perforated Eikon from the drop down menu there, goes up to $70 ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back