Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
Nov 27, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #646 of 699
These? http://www.zmfheadphones.com/pads-and-cables/zmf-suede-earpads

Any cheaper place to get them? The Shure 940 pads are less than $20.

And when you pick perforated Eikon from the drop down menu there, goes up to $70 ...
Yah, I know lol

But it is for those people who were going for cowhide eikon pad (like zeos panthers)

Microseude pads does not lead to mid bass boost like angled pads are doing and perforated pads cleans up the bass hump. Second thing is that they somewhat tame the treble in good fashion. But the sound is coloured and very big staging without that cave-ish sound.

@jerg on his hifiman fuzzor mod said that we can do fuzzor mod on any driver... Felt on baffle and around driver opening.

So I am thinking of doing it on m40x

To avoid the edge deflection of sound coming through the small holes in the plastic covering the driver as well as reflection from our ears to dampen. This will clean up the treble.

As per @c61746961 , he covered two holes with tape but I will cover them with felt alongside the fuzzor mod.

Fuzzor mod kinda smoothens out the peak and cure some decay while also acting as impedance matcher for ears. So complete covering is kinda overkill that's why felt dampen.

@c61746961 also did cover one vent at the backside of driver with 3m breathable tape for bass hump reduction. I will be sticking a full tape with a small hole in it(compared to original vent, I am making it smaller by 1/2. From my hypothesis, bass hump should be cleaned but is not obstructed.

Now, one guy did dynamat and poly fill.

I think headphones dont need dynamat. Acoustipack foam or alternatives do the job better. I will be pasting the foam dampening everywhere he pasted dynamat. And instead of filling it with fiber fill, I will paste the back with acoustipack also.

And in last, sound professional velour pads red and periapt blood red cable.

This is am going to do for now.....

I will tell you when I get free time for this mod, but I think from my theory, that this will go pretty good and mod will also look clean

Nov 29, 2018 at 6:26 AM Post #647 of 699
ummm...okay i was doing the mods on both M50x and M40x...

but the shure940 pads with 1.5mm felt on center of driver mod(not the whole driver) on m50x, seriously blow out m40x and anything i have heard on low budget(except akg k550 solderdude mod).

m40x with solderdude mod actually choked the 2kHz to 5kHz due to full felt mod and bass dropped below the ideal line in roll of fashion(which is okay but was damm near neutral till 40Hz). M50x on the other hand was already tamed in treble compared to old M50s but the peak was actually at wrong places which made the mid a little metallic and now i realize why M40x was winning.

Shure 940 pads dropped 7dB on M40x in 100Hz line according solderdude, and according rtings and innerfidelity readings, M50x crap starts due to sudden rise from 300Hz.

So, i was searching on internet and i got to know from @Jan Meier website a certain thingie

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

"The human voice has a frequency range from down 100 Hz (Bass singing the low F at 87.3 Hz) upto around 1kHz (Soprano singing the high C3 at 1046 Hz). Although various musical instruments have a much wider range most (non-electronic) pieces of music stay within the frequency range of the voice as this is where human beings are used to express their feelings in a most natural way
."

and that was well done m40x as the rise was not that sudden. m50x db rise was way 5dB and then boosted again at 80Hz with a dip at 90Hz(same with M40x, but m40x was subtle here). Mids after 300Hz on m50x is actually better and is tighter.

so i used shure 940 pads on M50x, but then i realised that it didnt had the damping felt inside the earpads like M50x stock.

so i damped the whole inner ring of holes in front driver with felt.

this helped, as the stock foam on earpads was creating unnecessary dips in bass and again damping the treble and mids making bass bloated. Plus, extreme low end doesnt pass through felt or foam.

thats why m40x sounded good on solderdude, because the mid bass hump was damped while sub bass got some priority.

M50x sounded better as the mid bass and the weird bass humps damped linearly instead of roll off structure of m40x. treble and 4 to 5kHz gained some db but was now sounding to me like Harman response target.

but too much work and very less flexibilty. M40x has more modding potential and sounds way better in stock compared to stock m50x

i have to cut a ring of felt

Jan 23, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #648 of 699
I personally like the sound of M40x very much, due to their accurate sound, everything sounds so nature and real as compared to other more expensive headphones, so i would like it to sound as accurate and real as possible :)
Correct me below if i had any wrong understanding about problems i had down there.

Recently bought a Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. Now pairing it with my M40x. Wondering Is this a bad match? Heard from many mentioned about the output impedance matching rules, the sound card got a 10 ohms output impedance, so the headphone used should be >80 ohms to achieve maximum sound quality from these sound card according to the impedance matching rules that says impedance of headphone should be at least 8x than source impedance? So does that mean that M40x is not a good matching with Essence STX? Since M40x only 35 ohms, still 45 ohms away, and any impedance mismatch will cause the low end frequency to be 'boomy' and uncontrolled? Due to low Damping Factor? Not enough damping?

But based on some readings from planar magnetic headphones which is a exeption of the impedance matching rules due to their flat impedance. According to M40x measurement, M40x also does have quite an almost flat impedance across all range of only 38 ohms, but only 45 ohms rated at 60hz to 100hz region. reference here --> https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-m40x.php#rw3

Plus many disassembled a M40x and M50x before, inside of M40x is built with substantial amount of dampings material, So M40x have electrical damping and some mechanical damping..

So in the end, does M40x still suffers the same impedance mismatch like other non flat impedance curve headphones resulting poor electrical damping or is it consider same as those Planar Magnetic headphones with flat enough impedance and become exeption to this impedance mismatch rules of needing at least 8x impedance of source?

So is M40x a good match with Essence STX? Sound accuracy and nature real sounding is my priority, don't wish to sacrifice those.
If it is a bad match with M40x.. Anyone can recommend any other headphones that sounds almost exactly same like this M40x? I'm open to suggestions. Preferred Closed-Back
Found a few from the internet,
M50x
AKG K240
Shure SRH 440 , 840

Thanks and hope my english not too bad (X_X!!)

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #649 of 699
I personally like the sound of M40x very much, due to their accurate sound, everything sounds so nature and real as compared to other more expensive headphones, so i would like it to sound as accurate and real as possible :)
Correct me below if i had any wrong understanding about problems i had down there.

Recently bought a Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card. Now pairing it with my M40x. Wondering Is this a bad match? Heard from many mentioned about the output impedance matching rules, the sound card got a 10 ohms output impedance, so the headphone used should be >80 ohms to achieve maximum sound quality from these sound card according to the impedance matching rules that says impedance of headphone should be at least 8x than source impedance? So does that mean that M40x is not a good matching with Essence STX? Since M40x only 35 ohms, still 45 ohms away, and any impedance mismatch will cause the low end frequency to be 'boomy' and uncontrolled? Due to low Damping Factor? Not enough damping?

But based on some readings from planar magnetic headphones which is a exeption of the impedance matching rules due to their flat impedance. According to M40x measurement, M40x also does have quite an almost flat impedance across all range of only 38 ohms, but only 45 ohms rated at 60hz to 100hz region. reference here --> https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/hp/audio-technica-ath-m40x.php#rw3

Plus many disassembled a M40x and M50x before, inside of M40x is built with substantial amount of dampings material, So M40x have electrical damping and some mechanical damping..

So in the end, does M40x still suffers the same impedance mismatch like other non flat impedance curve headphones resulting poor electrical damping or is it consider same as those Planar Magnetic headphones with flat enough impedance and become exeption to this impedance mismatch rules of needing at least 8x impedance of source?

So is M40x a good match with Essence STX? Sound accuracy and nature real sounding is my priority, don't wish to sacrifice those.
If it is a bad match with M40x.. Anyone can recommend any other headphones that sounds almost exactly same like this M40x? I'm open to suggestions. Preferred Closed-Back
Found a few from the internet,
M50x
AKG K240
Shure SRH 440 , 840

Thanks and hope my english not too bad (X_X!!)
Every headphone suffers from that in a good or bad way.

Get a amp with zero output impedance.

And connect in series with xonar

This will put impedance shift to amp which has none. This will get xonar like sound and amp for proper power control

AGDR CMOY is best

This amp pairs with anything existing in this world.

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #650 of 699
Every headphone suffers from that in a good or bad way.

Get a amp with zero output impedance.

And connect in series with xonar

This will put impedance shift to amp which has none. This will get xonar like sound and amp for proper power control

AGDR CMOY is best

This amp pairs with anything existing in this world.

Yeah just tried with my portable Amp.. The Fiio A3.. Somehow sound a lot better as compared to directly connecting to the Essence STX.. Since is for desktop use, you think a Schiit Magni 3 amp will be a good pair?

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #651 of 699
Yeah just tried with my portable Amp.. The Fiio A3.. Somehow sound a lot better as compared to directly connecting to the Essence STX.. Since is for desktop use, you think a Schiit Magni 3 amp will be a good pair?
Schiit is not that great...
Its okay and the tuning is good.

I mean specs are so and so.

I prefer upgraded O2 with booster board or agdr cmoy

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #652 of 699
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #653 of 699
Here is a review with measurements of the Schiit amp. It's ok. (I really love this web site, just found it.)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...g-a30-and-schiit-magni-3-headphone-amps.4024/

Here is the champ of value oriented amps reviewed by them:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/
JDS atom is overkill for him

but from my measurement AGDR CMOY parallel version beats JDS Atom. Actually it comes near Neurochrome HP1 in performance at fraction of price. Only 5mA weaker than O2 and 15mA weaker than atom, it is cleaner and true zero ohm output impedance

Jan 24, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #654 of 699
JDS atom is overkill for him

but from my measurement AGDR CMOY parallel version beats JDS Atom. Actually it comes near Neurochrome HP1 in performance at fraction of price. Only 5mA weaker than O2 and 15mA weaker than atom, it is cleaner and true zero ohm output impedance

Link? Data? Graphs and measurements?

:)

I did find these, but no data there:

http://www.agdraudio.com/cmoy history.html
http://www.agdraudio.com/super cmoy prices.html

And doesn't seem like you can buy a complete amp. Just the board?

Jan 24, 2019 at 3:31 PM Post #655 of 699
I own both the magni3 and the objective2 (02). They both have .5 ohm output impedance.
The magni3 can output more power than the o2, but, the 02 has plenty enough power to drive the m40x and, all of my other headphones as well.
I matched volume levels using a radio shack spl meter and a CD with a test pink noise signal. I compared them back to back, and I couldn't perceive a difference in sound between the 2 amps
Either one works just fine with the m40x..

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #656 of 699
0306192004b.jpg
what do you guys think? lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back