Audio Technica ATH-M40x: The Little Brother that Could
May 13, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #616 of 699
Replacement-font-b-Headband-b-font-Head-Band-Earpads-Pillow-Foam-for-ATH-MSR7-Sony-MDR.jpg
Hi, can anyone recommend a cover for the headband? The diadem of the m40x is not that it is bad but it feels somewhat hard because I feel the metal part all the time and it is not as comfortable as other headphones.

May 15, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #618 of 699
And you know this from??

The point is, with all this tinkering and with no means of measurement, is one hearing an 'improvement', or just a change, in the sound?
Get those measurements for us, please, they could be insightful towards developing/refining modifications further. Ears and mics only go so far, mam.

May 15, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #619 of 699
Replacement-font-b-Headband-b-font-Head-Band-Earpads-Pillow-Foam-for-ATH-MSR7-Sony-MDR.jpg
Hi, can anyone recommend a cover for the headband? The diadem of the m40x is not that it is bad but it feels somewhat hard because I feel the metal part all the time and it is not as comfortable as other headphones.
Grab a headband pad meant for HD280, just not the adhesive kind. Padding that immitates the Beyerdynamic DT770/etc. headphones may not fit, or may be rather difficult to attach due to how tight it may end up.

May 15, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #620 of 699
Get those measurements for us, please, they could be insightful towards developing/refining modifications further. Ears and mics only go so far, mam.

You made a statement, earlier, that AT did not take all the steps in engineering the M40x. Can you back that up - with documentation? And how can I provide you the measurements? You're the ones taking the headphones apart, stuffing this in here, poking holes in that, casting magic spells over them, etc!

Otherwise, all of the tinkering you guys are doing is a massive waste of time! Like I said earlier, I auditioned the M40x, for at least ten minutes at a time, with various sources and genres of music. I felt they sounded just fine for the price and are a worthy competitor to the Sony 7506 and others in its class.

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #621 of 699
All I can say about the m40x with the soft pads is that out of the ifi IDSD nano BL, I can't imagine another headphone sounding better than these at the pricepoint.

Jun 11, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #622 of 699
Do these headphones improve with time? I'm trying to like them but I can't get beyond their sort of nasal, muffled, deadwood quality in the mid-range. I bought them from a place that had a no return policy on headphones and I knew I was taking a chance. They were on sale at the time.

There are some positive aspects to the sound, good lows and highs and occasionally a kind of compelling quality and clarity with better recordings and they block outside noise like nothing else, but I keep going back to my modded Senn PX-100s to open up some spectrum of the mid-range that seems missing from the mx40's. Maybe there really is something to getting used to a sound signature (the Senns).

I have modded them with the Brainwavz angled memory foam earpads and a Senn 600 headband pad. They are way more comfortable now so that's less of an issue. Any thoughts appreciated. I don't hate the cans just wondering if I should keep trying.

Jun 12, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #624 of 699
They need serious burn in.At least mine did...After few months i switched off al EQ...
Be patient and you will be reworded...
Sorry for my english...

The verdict is out on transducer burn-in. Regardless, I do subject any new headphone I buy to a full day of a variety of genres on the 5-disc CD changer, at a volume slightly louder than my normal listening zone. Into the machine goes an Eighties or Seventies compilation disc, a rap album, a jazz CD, and some Beethoven or Berlioz. Phones are plugged into a big honkin' JVC receiver with NO EQ, and Bass, Treble, and Balance set to detents. Loudness button OFF. I don't believe in burn-in with a curve applied.

By next day, I am using the new cans normally, and am quite satisifed that I am hearing stuff through them as designed. Content played through them is the important part.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #625 of 699
There's more than a couple wool Headband covers (with various colors) that you can find off AliExpress, if you are willing to wait for it patiently...
I bought a couple, and it's all mostly good.

Jul 8, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #626 of 699
Tried the Sony MDR CD900st CE-02.
I was like, **** the audio technica, **** senns, **** Sony MDR 7506 etc, **** the stax...

Seriously, blown away...

Not a technical monster per se, but these are pure signature monster. Neutral yet balanced and so clean and true high red feeling(not the any thing go high red sticker crap).

These are better than Audeze LCD4.

Actually, the simple review is

They are just right.....all other headphone sounds extremely wrong(trust me) compared to these...

And these are actually not the original CD900st of old era. These are Cartonode engineering Sony CD900st CE02.

I tried it when I was in NHK studio in Japan...

I am going to order these soon for more detailed review.

But first impression was when I had Mr. Speaker Aeon closed hanging on my neck.

These seriously blowed all planar and electrostatic companies( in signature). Technically, they are faster. And the best part is, this is the first headphone to play piano and violin perfectly after being neutral.

And this ain't a hype as Japanese studio are still using them and these were created by Sony Music company and not Sony Electronics(which created V6 and 7506).

Sorry wrong thread

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #628 of 699
Just bought the M40x and pair with Sony Walkman A45 music player. Wanna clear my few doubts. Bought a HP-SC short cable for the m40x too. Does help reduced the M40x overall impedance about 2ohm compared to its long cable and help sound better less bright. Listen to all types of music's. Using my desktop Asus Xonar D2x sound as my reference to make sure my setup Walkman A45 sound closer to it.

1) My Walkman A45 doesn't have volume capped for Asia version. Wondering if it's output power (0.7483V (calculated myself with ohm's law formula) ,
35mW+35mW Jeita/16ohm) enough to drive the m40x perfectly with maximum sound quality and dynamic range.
No EQ or any enhancements use. Everything flat and turned off.

2) Only occasionally EQ 400hz +2db, 2.5khz +1db, to make m40x vocal sound better , or frequency response flatter, think is it better? Or should I just remain everything flat untouch?

3) The M40x does sound loud enough but not sure if the Walkman A45 player is capable of supplying enough power to the M40x for low frequency bass reproduction since low frequency sound used more power? Bass heard not as same as my D2x unless EQ 60hz +1db or +2db.

4) Thinking if I should get a Fiio A3 to get extra juices! Knowing I'll definitely benefit from the amp but don't feel like carrying extra unit with me all the time.
Knowing the M40x is only 35ohm impedance shouldn't needing amp. But after calculating the power needed for the m40x to drive perfectly using headphone power calculator website digizoid, found that the Walkman A45 power only capable of driving it at its enough power.

Hope to get some opinions! Thanks!

Nov 23, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #629 of 699
I need to re-dig this up (and I posted about it in here before, and it's probably linked in here somewhere), but there is solderdude's PDF about modding these guys. Shure 940 pads to clamp down on the low end a little, and 2mm of felt in front of the drivers to tame the treble some. I *finally* got the Shure pads on these, and yes! The bulbous (to me) low end is suitably fixed. Amazing really. Still some punch, but not overwhelming the rest of the spectrum like before (to me). I'll live with them a little this way, but I already have the felt ready to try to add that next, if I think they need it.

So far, I've been listening to the K553 Pros, but I think they could use a little more low end, and now the Thinksound ON2's, which seem pretty balanced. Still kinda looking for the "perfect" set of closed cans. :)

Nov 23, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #630 of 699
I'm doing my best not to pull a "Charles McCord" in this thread, but all this mod-talk about a headphone with overwhelming 5-star ratings on Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H, and other sellers is just STUPID.

People out in California have lost everything - some, even their lives - and no doubt, a few sets of ATH-M40 headphones, and you guys have that much time to be adding this and moving that to create changes in their sound that are largely placebo and your own perception??

Get.

A.

Life!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back