Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Apr 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #286 of 787
Quote:
That might be a good idea considering the price of a real esw9 is basically going for the same price as your for sale price.

Yeah, I'm up in Canada.

The closest Audio Technica store has ATH-ESW9 for sale for $398 so I had thought $250 was OK until I also found out that fakes go for $60. 

Apr 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #287 of 787
Hey,I saw a link from a few pages back to the germania mod,( here http://www.head-fi.org/t/383257/germania-s-audio-technica-esw9-mod-s);i just wanted to know has anyone dont it successfully?I want to try it out but the thread is pretty old and dead and I don't understand how the layers go.If anyone has any experience with this any input would be appreciated.

Apr 20, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #288 of 787
but doesn't esw10 have a completely different sound signature compares to esw9? Also the wood for esw10 is a lot more darker/different to esw9 
I guess how to determine a fake ews10 would be difficult since there isn't a lot of them in the market

Apr 21, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #289 of 787
Supposedly, ESW10 users don't to admit that the headphone is just an ESW9 with a stronger treble peak. 
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #290 of 787
fake esw9's it makes me wonder sometimes how many have been listening to fakes and owned fakes that don't even know it because of never seeing a real one/listened.

Apr 22, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #291 of 787
Quote:
Hey,I saw a link from a few pages back to the germania mod,( here http://www.head-fi.org/t/383257/germania-s-audio-technica-esw9-mod-s);i just wanted to know has anyone dont it successfully?I want to try it out but the thread is pretty old and dead and I don't understand how the layers go.If anyone has any experience with this any input would be appreciated.

I tried it on a pair of ES7s and didn't care for it at all.  I like my ESW9s just the way they are and really wouldn't want to change the sound signature. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #292 of 787
Use the Baldur cable. Alternatively, try thicker earpads from some other headphone (earpads need to be 70mm in diameter) or stuff material under the current earpads on your ESW9
ha ha. I did something like this today. I will post some pictures and my reasoning later on.

Apr 29, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #293 of 787
A quick post to feed the ESW9 appreciation thread.

I was getting a bit disappointed with the muddiness of my ATH-ESW9,I did remember them to sound `clearer`.

I decided to try some (USED-3pairs) ATH-ES10 but them too bass heavy, I also tried some ATH-ESW9 (also used, but next to new) because I didnt bring my ATH-ESW9 with me and wanted to compare.

The ATH-ESW9 were next to new and had nice hard solid pads (mine are old, soft and getting flat), the sound was fgreat, better than my existing pair.

I thought of a possible mod to bring the ear pads back to a more fuller shape and move the drivers further back from my ears for hopefully more spaciousness and treble/detail.

EDIT:More details. I cut round gasket shapes from the cardboard of an amazon envelope (not box), I put in 1 and it seemed better, 2 was great, tried 3 but then that was too many.

heres some pics.

ATH-ESW9 mod for old over soft/floppy and flat leather pads.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM Post #294 of 787
Quote:
A quick post to feed the ESW9 appreciation thread.

I was getting a bit disappointed with the muddiness of my ATH-ESW9,I did remember them to sound `clearer`.

I decided to try some (USED-3pairs) ATH-ES10 but them too bass heavy, I also tried some ATH-ESW9 (also used, but next to new) because I didnt bring my ATH-ESW9 with me and wanted to compare.

The ATH-ESW9 were next to new and had nice hard solid pads (mine are old, soft and getting flat), the sound was fgreat, better than my existing pair.

I thought of a possible mod to bring the ear pads back to a more fuller shape and move the drivers further back from my ears for hopefully more spaciousness and treble/detail.

heres some pics.

Hmmmm, can you post some 'photos of your ESW9?
Real ESW9 'phones will have a very subtle gold sparkle in the black plastic.
They also have shiny metal in the headband, fakes ones will have dull metal.
The fakes ones also have fake leather which is not as soft as what the real 'phones use.

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #295 of 787
I bought mine in Japan from bic camera one of the largest most legit electronic department stores.they are definitely not fakes.

Edit: but of course i had to check lol.
-gold bits in the plastic-yes.
-shiny metal check-yes.
-beautiful feeling lambskin pads-check.

Do they sound awesum.yes.

Apr 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #296 of 787
maybe the comfort will increase too.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #297 of 787
Quote:
I bought mine in Japan from bic camera one of the largest most legit electronic department stores.they are definitely not fakes.

Edit: but of course i had to check lol.
-gold bits in the plastic-yes.
-shiny metal check-yes.
-beautiful feeling lambskin pads-check.

Do they sound awesum.yes.

Very cool!
Excellent!

Yes, real ESW9s sound awesome, don't they?

BTW, hopefully Audio Technica can sell you new pads?

May 3, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #299 of 787
ATH-ESW9 cardboard ring/gasket mod update.

After a few days of the mod (a few posts back) i found the mod whilst increasin detail, treble and adding a bit of transparent space also reduced the bass.
The results were a bit fatiguing after a while to my ears.

I reduced the number of gaskets/rings from two per ear to one per ear cup and found this to be a better balance.

The effect is to flatten out the sound a bit more and bring down the bass and mids a fraction and raise the treble.

Still keeping lushness of course.

May 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #300 of 787
ATH-ESW9 cardboard ring/gasket mod update.

After a few days of the mod (a few posts back) i found the mod whilst increasin detail, treble and adding a bit of transparent space also reduced the bass.
The results were a bit fatiguing after a while to my ears.

I reduced the number of gaskets/rings from two per ear to one per ear cup and found this to be a better balance.

The effect is to flatten out the sound a bit more and bring down the bass and mids a fraction and raise the treble.

Still keeping lushness of course.

Basically all you're doing is pulling the drivers a little further away from your ears, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back