Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Apr 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #271 of 787
Well i want to get it on amazon since i have a over $200 of amazon credit to use. Much rather use that to buy these. Just wondering if i should spend the extra $40 for the new pair instead of the used-like new pair both sold by Amazon. Is the extra money worth the warranty.

Apr 6, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #272 of 787
Yeah, better take advantage of the warranty.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #274 of 787
yes it is normally just over $200. on amazon.  I actually remember it being 207 for a new pair for a long time.  I still use these, they stay in my car as backups to the es10 and Ed8 LE.  I still love them as much today as the day i got them, and i was an original adopter.  In fact i used them today for almost an hour already when i was out and about in town.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #275 of 787
Hey im planning on buying these. I was wondering whats the difference between the amperican version and the japan import version.

The version sold in Japan uses Hokkaido (Cherry) wood, while the version sold in the US uses Padauk (very similar to Mahogany, and sometimes called "African Mahogany").

anyone recommend a recabling that would improve speration/soundstage while leaving the sound signature intact or improved i.e sweet lush full bodied mids, warm wooly bass. No harsh high end

My experience is that silver-plated copper cable mates extremely well with the ESW9. It adds detail and sparkle to the treble without adding harshness. In addition, for improved bass check out the Germania mods for these cans.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #276 of 787
These or the ath-es700? Trying to decide which ones to buy. I couldn't find a detailed comparison between both of them.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #277 of 787
i've been looking to buy these for a while now, but am a bit afraid of receiving a fake pair. where do you think is the safest to buy these from? i would be looking at shipping them to europe, belgium. i have an amazon.co.uk login that works pretty well but i can only find japan import on the .co.uk website of amazon and the shops offering them look a bit.. shady to say the least. 2 ratings wit 50% score, etc.

not sure if i can ship to belgium with amazon.com. any ideas?

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #278 of 787
Well..........let me tell you a story.

I bought a pair of used ESW10 Japan.
Hard to spot them as fakes until I compared them to a real pair of ESW9s.

The main difference is that the fakes had cheaper leather and sounded slightly worse.
The plastic was also flat black compared to the very subtle gold sparkle on the ESW9s.
The metal was slightly less shiny on the fakes.

Other than that, the plastic was obviously from the same molds.
The cable looks the same.
The wood cups are still real wood.

You can see photos of my fakes in my For Sale thread (I've clearly noted they are fakes).
Take a look, see if YOU can tell if they are fakes.

Beware!

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #279 of 787
Yeah the fakes of esw9's were good too when I was in the search for them few years back, so I'm not surprise the esw10s were equally good.  I remember people were looking at the AT logos, drivers, pad material, writings, little things like that just to identify fakes.

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #280 of 787
Quote:
Yeah the fakes of esw9's were good too when I was in the search for them few years back, so I'm not surprise the esw10s were equally good.  I remember people were looking at the AT logos, drivers, pad material, writings, little things like that just to identify fakes.

I'm not sure why anyone would need to examine them that much to identify fakes. Unless some of the first fakes actually sounded good.

The fakes I got off eBay (for $25) sounded terrible, it was a dead give away. They sounded like apple earbuds but with less bass. Everything else looked and felt like the read deal though, so I threw in some authentic ESW9 drivers from Audio Technica and gave them to a friend for his birthday. Whole thing cost me about $55 lol

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #281 of 787
Speaking of silver wire, if anyone is interested in DIY, here are some mods/re cable I did on my ESW9a's. I used some air conditioning foam and cut them into small circles and placed them into the wood cups under where the drivers rest. The foam helps to smooth out the treble and smooth the mids out very nice without losing the detail in the bass. 

The cable is 24 AWG silver stranded wire that I ran through paracord. Don't know if I can tell a huge difference in the sound, possibly more detail and energy in the bass, but it's not night and day. I really just did it for looks
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #282 of 787
Quote:
Speaking of silver wire, if anyone is interested in DIY, here are some mods/re cable I did on my ESW9a's. I used some air conditioning foam and cut them into small circles and placed them into the wood cups under where the drivers rest. The foam helps to smooth out the treble and smooth the mids out very nice without losing the detail in the bass. 

The cable is 24 AWG silver stranded wire that I ran through paracord. Don't know if I can tell a huge difference in the sound, possibly more detail and energy in the bass, but it's not night and day. I really just did it for looks
biggrin.gif

I love the wiring look whether it makes a difference or not! :wink:

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #283 of 787
I'm not sure why anyone would need to examine them that much to identify fakes. Unless some of the first fakes actually sounded good.

The fakes I got off eBay (for $25) sounded terrible, it was a dead give away. They sounded like apple earbuds but with less bass. Everything else looked and felt like the read deal though, so I threw in some authentic ESW9 drivers from Audio Technica and gave them to a friend for his birthday. Whole thing cost me about $55 lol

The sound was NOT a give away by any means.
My fake ESW10 Japan sound almost as good as real ESW9 'phones.
Many people heard this pair and thought it sounded quit good.

The headband assembly is virtually identical, the main give away there is the material is some type of pleather on the fake.
The plastic mouding is identical, but finish is flat black.
Even an ESW9 owner would be fooled into thinking these are real without a close inspection.
The owner of an Authorized Audio Technica store had to compare them to real ESW9 to declare them fakes as he had never seen real ESW10 Japan 'phones.

I'm just sayin' be very careful when buying uses ESW9 and ESW10 'phones.

I would hate to see someone else get the shaft like I did.
Take a look at my For Sale listing.
BTW, I'm going to have to cancel the sale.......seems no one wants a pair of fakes!

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #285 of 787
The sound was NOT a give away by any means.
My fake ESW10 Japan sound almost as good as real ESW9 'phones.
Many people heard this pair and thought it sounded quit good.

The headband assembly is virtually identical, the main give away there is the material is some type of pleather on the fake.
The plastic mouding is identical, but finish is flat black.
Even an ESW9 owner would be fooled into thinking these are real without a close inspection.
The owner of an Authorized Audio Technica store had to compare them to real ESW9 to declare them fakes as he had never seen real ESW10 Japan 'phones.

I'm just sayin' be very careful when buying uses ESW9 and ESW10 'phones.

I would hate to see someone else get the shaft like I did.
Take a look at my For Sale listing.
BTW, I'm going to have to cancel the sale.......seems no one wants a pair of fakes!

That might be a good idea considering the price of a real esw9 is basically going for the same price as your for sale price.

Dxanex,

You be surprise how many asked if theirs is a fake considering they never heard how a real one sound. I guess when one faces a good deal they want it to be real. It sounds silly, but it happens.

nice color choice for wire and the Little bit of wood accent works well. I hope it sounds good as price of cable are expensive. I want to recable one of my headphones one of these days but haven't gotten a headphone worth the cost yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back