Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #241 of 787
Quote:
I got the hard case from audio technica.  I will see if there is a model number on it later but it fits them perfectly and totally protected.  Hard stiff nylon.  

Looks like this one...

Think it was originally made for the es7.

Those cases (AT-HPP5) are no longer available from Audio Technica.  There are some knock-offs on ebay from China for cheap...but instead of waiting six weeks for something of questionable quality, I keep mine in an Eagle Creek Protech Half Cube:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Travel-Pack-It-Protech/dp/B002YIO83Q/ref=sr_1_9?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1361747546&sr=1-9&keywords=eagle+creek+cube

As far as durability, they are well made but probably deserve a little pampering.  I got a spare gimbal joint ($6.00) from Audio Technica and so I use them portably with no concern as I have the spare part that is most likely to break.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #242 of 787
Yep, i got the case years ago when the esw9 was released.  I can't imagine why they stopped selling them.  It is down in my car with the esw9's in it for backup in case i am somewhere and i need them.  I generally use Ed8 LE and es10s for portable these days, although i sometimes like the esw9 better than the es10.  The 9's aren't as full sounding but they don't have the boomy bass that the 10s have either.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #243 of 787
Looks like they are sold at audiocubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_51&products_id=2991

Is it a legit site? or would I be getting a fake

Looks like it's 40 bucks + 15 for shipping.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #245 of 787
sorry i know this is an ESW9a thread.

but if i want headphone that is forgiving of your source like the esw9a but better durability what would be recommended?

im using it for home listening. theres no way im bringing expensive cans outside. so it doesnt need portability.

i want what the esw9a has in sound, on the musical side, just as forgiving, that is within the same price range but better build.

some1 told me the a900x is like a better esw9a.

I have both a900x and esw9, and honest opinion they sound different from each other. I might imagine that is why they class them in different lines the a series and the esw series. The a900x is brighter, airier, not as thick of a mid etc. Im not sure if I know what sounds like the esw9 ( reason why I still have them) beside other esw series. A900x sounds good and has its own merit but I prefer the unique sounds of the esw9.

If you just want something that is just forgiving to sources, sounds good, durable, and don't mind the size (A900X is big) then the A900X is excellent.

Feb 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #247 of 787
Quote:
Looks like they are sold at audiocubes:
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_51&products_id=2991

Is it a legit site? or would I be getting a fake

Looks like it's 40 bucks + 15 for shipping.

It's worth a try, but everywhere I found that said they had them, eventually told me they were no longer available.  Ultimately, I called Audio Technica and they told me the same thing.

Feb 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #248 of 787
Quote:
I have both a900x and esw9, and honest opinion they sound different from each other. I might imagine that is why they class them in different lines the a series and the esw series. The a900x is brighter, airier, not as thick of a mid etc. Im not sure if I know what sounds like the esw9 ( reason why I still have them) beside other esw series. A900x sounds good and has its own merit but I prefer the unique sounds of the esw9.

If you just want something that is just forgiving to sources, sounds good, durable, and don't mind the size (A900X is big) then the A900X is excellent.

well i guess that decides it. im getting an myself a nice pair of esw9a.
hopefully its impossible to get fakes from amazon (not third seller on amazon).

Feb 25, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #249 of 787
hi

would the dt1350 be a significant upgrade to the esw9.

Significant upgrade? No, possible upgrade? Yes

Both of these headphones goes in different direction. I do think technically sounding the dt1350 are better as they are more detailed where as the esw9 are more musically inclined. I say possible upgrade as I do believe for most who like the dt1350, I can see them not liking the esw9.

This is how I see them two:

Dt1350 -> Colder, more analytical, More detailed, slightly smaller sound stage, brighter, tighter bass, more neutral

Esw9 -> warmer, Mellow/laid back, thicker mids, wider soundstage although not really wide, more presence in bass, more musical and easy to listen

Feb 25, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #250 of 787
Quote:
Significant upgrade? No, possible upgrade? Yes

Both of these headphones goes in different direction. I do think technically sounding the dt1350 are better as they are more detailed where as the esw9 are more musically inclined. I say possible upgrade as I do believe for most who like the dt1350, I can see them not liking the esw9.

This is how I see them two:

Dt1350 -> Colder, more analytical, More detailed, slightly smaller sound stage, brighter, tighter bass, more neutral

Esw9 -> warmer, Mellow/laid back, thicker mids, wider soundstage although not really wide, more presence in bass, more musical and easy to listen

+1 to all.  I'm a detail freak and the ESW9A is really a different direction for me.  With that said, it is such a musical and enjoyable headphone I easily forget about that. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #251 of 787
Dt1350 -> Colder, more analytical, More detailed, slightly smaller sound stage, brighter, tighter bass, more neutral

Esw9 -> warmer, Mellow/laid back, thicker mids, wider soundstage although not really wide, more presence in bass, more musical and easy to listen

Hi,

I own both and I agree with above analysis (I posted a detailed comparison on these two headphones in head-fi, maybe in this thread about 6-8 months ago). The ESW9 is muscially more accommodating, warmer and enjoyable to all types - especially jazz that I listen to and it is in the line up of my HE-6... The DT1350 is definitely more detailed, colder and more analytical in sound, great for classical, but also tighter bass...more neutral (well described by fellow head-fier above). Regarding noise leakage, one of my key criteria as I travel internationally alot on planes, the DT1350 is a clear winner in isolation : does not leak as much as ESW9 at close quarters in a fairly still room. Padding quality little better on DT also (smaller diameter). Packaging quality way better on DT which comes with airline adapter and nice handy case. Both are very nice headphones, enjoyable for different reasons.

Feb 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #253 of 787
Thanks ordered... Still regret not ordering the knockoff AT-HPP5 when fleabay had them for like $7 and all the grado guys were buying them.
Quote:
I don't have one of these cases myself, but supposedly the Sony NVA-B10G case fits the ATH-ESW9. And since the Sony product it was designed for has been discontinued, the case is now super cheap. Amazon has it for only $2.99 with free shipping! Pic of case insides is here.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #254 of 787
Quote:
I don't have one of these cases myself, but supposedly the Sony NVA-B10G case fits the ATH-ESW9. And since the Sony product it was designed for has been discontinued, the case is now super cheap. Amazon has it for only $2.99 with free shipping! Pic of case insides is here.

The dimensions seem perfect.  For $3 I'll give it a shot.  Thanks for the tip.

Mar 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #255 of 787
Let me know how the Sony case goes, I might replace my current case. It's thicker than what I want therefore has room space where it moves around, but it's a hard case and protect it well. I currently have a potable amp inside its own case to reduce the space. Height and width is perfect but too deep.

http://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Headphone-Case-compatible-Sennheiser/dp/B009EEGVY2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1362146395&sr=8-8&keywords=Headphone+case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back