Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #226 of 787
thanks soundeffect for thoughts!
however, i'm in turkey, and through ebay, it would cost me at a minimum 300 bucks for these cans, though it is sold for 200 in amazon. can you guys suggest a site for me (and for other non-u.s., internationals) to buy esw9 say, at around amazon price?

Feb 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #227 of 787
I'm thinking of getting these headphones, but the only source I have for music is Pandora on my laptop (Lenovo Yoga, if it matters). Would I be wasting their full potential using them this way? If so, what should I consider getting instead?

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #228 of 787
These headphones are very forgiving, I never tried pandora before, but I do listen to these through YouTube HD occasionally I think it sounds fine. If you want to listen to better source just download some flac,lossless, Apple lossless, 256k/320k music, or CD's.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #229 of 787
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting these headphones, but the only source I have for music is Pandora on my laptop (Lenovo Yoga, if it matters). Would I be wasting their full potential using them this way? If so, what should I consider getting instead?

Quote:
These headphones are very forgiving, I never tried pandora before, but I do listen to these through YouTube HD occasionally I think it sounds fine. If you want to listen to better source just download some flac,lossless, Apple lossless, 256k/320k music, or CD's.

+1 they do sound pretty decent unamped with Pandora (if you have your Pandora sound quality set to high) I also use Spotify with the ESW9 plugged directly into the iPad and it's nice quality sound.

You may also look at getting a FiiO USB amp/DAC for your laptop, the FiiO E7 can be found used for really cheap now. Even using Pandora/MP3/Youtube, I guarantee you'll hear quite a difference. It's a great little starter amp for what it goes for these days.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #232 of 787
im thinking about getting myself a pair so i have some questions for esw9a owners.
from the looks im not too certain about their durability.
how does its build compare to phones like A700, AD700, A900x, K701?
are they revealing such as nitpicking every flaw there is in the recording?(planning to use these for casual listening)
what genre do they excel in?
and how much of an improvement there is when its amped.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #233 of 787
They look much better in person than in pictures.
Durability wise Ive only had mine for a week but I don't think these are up to A900X or K701 level. That is mostly because of the wood cups which do scratch and kinda flimsy feeling gimbals; I would not use them as a portable, but I really hate damaging my stuff even slightly. They are not too revealing and actually these are probably the best headphones Ive heard for just enjoying the music and not worrying that I might have missed the noise from a caterpillar dropping a deuce a mile from the recording studio. They sound very lush and smooth, with every genre to me but my favorite so far has been jazz and da funk. They are good with rock/pop/peruvian unicorn deathmetal too. Unamped they sound a little laid back and dark for my liking but amping them fixes that easily. Its a very good headphone and actually is not that uncomfortable for a on-ear (still way less than a over-ear but more than the HD25)
 Quote:
im thinking about getting myself a pair so i have some questions for esw9a owners.
from the looks im not too certain about their durability.
how does its build compare to phones like A700, AD700, A900x, K701?
are they revealing such as nitpicking every flaw there is in the recording?(planning to use these for casual listening)
what genre do they excel in?
and how much of an improvement there is when its amped.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #234 of 787
Quote:

....Buy them?

What are you referring to, music selections or where to purchase?

Haha sorry I missed a word.

Does anyone have any case recommendations for the the ESW9As?

I pulled the trigger and bought them Friday, and expect them by Wednesday or before. I realized I need a case for them as it sounds like the pouch it comes with just doesn't do.

Feb 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #235 of 787
They are not as strong as any of those headphone. They feel fragile, but as the same time fit and finish is good (not made for roughing at all). They don't look and feel cheap. They aren't the revealing type and much more on musical side IMO. They do not scale up well with amping (made more to just plug in and listening). For me if you buy them it's not worth amping and lugging around an amp and fooling around with extras. It's the beauty of this headphone in my opinion and they get plenty loud with all most all source.

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #236 of 787
i never ever had or seen cups on headphones take direct damage before from experience.
the only damage i've ever seen on any over ear or on ear headphones are cable damage headband damage and breaking on the size adjusters(the thing that usually have bumps or teeth that make click sounds when you pull down or push up to adjust headsize).
the sennheiser hd598 size adjuster breaks easily on many reviews.
i've even seen cups fall off headbands on headphones with swirling cups.

does the ESW9a feel safe from these problems from normal use?

and how is the bass quality on these cans? (not quantity). im not a bass head.

Feb 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #237 of 787
Cables are thin and the band adjustable part are made of plastic. I can see the band adjuster, the spot where left or right wording, part breaking more from swiveling the ear cups than from adjusting the size. Although it never happen to mine after owning them more than 1 1/2 years. The cable part if tug hard enough it does look like it can come off. Again, I do think these are delicate. Bass are good but can be tighter as it is slightly bloated. I'm not going to try to describe too much as I'm not the best at it. The bass on the A900x are indeed tighter and seem faster and more aggressive, but more mid bass punch than the esw9 sub bass. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #238 of 787
sorry i know this is an ESW9a thread.
but if i want headphone that is forgiving of your source like the esw9a but better durability what would be recommended?
im using it for home listening. theres no way im bringing expensive cans outside. so it doesnt need portability.
i want what the esw9a has in sound, on the musical side, just as forgiving, that is within the same price range but better build.
some1 told me the a900x is like a better esw9a.

Feb 24, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #239 of 787
Quote:
Haha sorry I missed a word.

Does anyone have any case recommendations for the the ESW9As?

I pulled the trigger and bought them Friday, and expect them by Wednesday or before. I realized I need a case for them as it sounds like the pouch it comes with just doesn't do.

I got the hard case from audio technica.  I will see if there is a model number on it later but it fits them perfectly and totally protected.  Hard stiff nylon.  

Looks like this one...

Think it was originally made for the es7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back