Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Jan 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #211 of 787
I guess while we are at it, how does it compare to V moda M100.  Every since the M100 debuted I've been wondering since there are so many glowing things been said about it. I'm tempted to see for myself, but am holding back as I've been bitten before with the AiAiAi and they were disappointing.

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #212 of 787
These things are god-damn beautiful, probably my favorite looking headphones (with all the other woody/on ear ATs, of course) If I find an used pair in good condition I might just have to get them, though I have absolutley no need for another pair of cans right now 
rolleyes.gif

How's the sound, compared to M80s?

Cheers

Jan 17, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #213 of 787
I am a totally newbie in this hobby and this is my first post.

Anyway, after discovered this wonderful forum,  I have recently purchased the ATH-ESW9 headphone.  It sounds pretty good to my old ears.  My next step is to get a portable amplifier.  I am just wondering what kind of amplifiers will fit best with ATH-ESW9 headphone?  In term of music, I don't have any special preference.  I listen to all kinds of music.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #214 of 787
if you really want to spend the extra money for an amp there seems to few thread if you look it up. Here are a couple to start you out.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/451069/at-esw9-amp

http://www.head-fi.org/t/312175/owners-of-ath-esw9-which-portable-amp-is-the-best

If possible try to get good quality music like as close to 320 kbps as possible.

Let us know what amp you end up and if you feel it makes a difference with an amp.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #215 of 787
i personally think both headphones have the same detail. maybe the 1R has abit more because it has abit forward upper mids to pick up microdetils in that frequency range.

uptown vs esw9? the uptown has more treble sparkle while retaining its usual philips sound sig which is smooth and somewhat laidback while the esw9 has more intimate vocals, fuller midrange probably because of the bass, and alot less treble sparkle

stock esw9 bass is abit more loose than uptowns but i could be wrong since the uptown has lesser bass impact and body compared to an esw9.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #216 of 787
Quote:
i personally think both headphones have the same detail. maybe the 1R has abit more because it has abit forward upper mids to pick up microdetils in that frequency range.

uptown vs esw9? the uptown has more treble sparkle while retaining its usual philips sound sig which is smooth and somewhat laidback while the esw9 has more intimate vocals, fuller midrange probably because of the bass, and alot less treble sparkle

stock esw9 bass is abit more loose than uptowns but i could be wrong since the uptown has lesser bass impact and body compared to an esw9.

I have uptowns and enjoy them, are these a clear improvement?

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #217 of 787
i personally think it isnt. you can have your uptowns recabled and it should be good to go.

i hope people wont throw rocks at me because this is an appreciation thread =P

Jan 18, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #218 of 787
**Throwing rocks**
biggrin.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #219 of 787
Quote:
I just want to say, "man I love these headphones!"  I have the D2000 as my main when I want to do some serious head bopping listening and as for portable when I just want to whip something out to relax while casually surfing the web, these fit the bill.  Just pair these up with a hard case and you can take these anywhere while getting compliment on a unique looking headphone.
cool.gif

How do these compare with your D2000s?

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #220 of 787
Quote:
How do these compare with your D2000s?

I currently enjoy the esw9s more than the D2000 because of the mids.  I would say without an amp the esw9 is much more enjoyable to listen to than the D2000 and with an amp you lean toward either way. Keep in mind though both can be listened without an amp, but the D2000 benefits more with one than the esw9s.

I find them to serve a totally different purpose.  The D2000 would be a more fun headphone with there "V" sound signature vs. the esw9 is more focus on the vocals and as a whole toward mids.  I also worth mentioning that the D2000 is not as picky with music genre as the esw9 due to the fact that the esw9 has a smaller sound stage and leans towards a mellower sound.  It's quit evidence how much more foward the mids are with the esw9 than the D2000.

Don't get me wrong, I like them both maybe more so with the esw9 lately.  It's sometime a relief to me to listen to the D2000 with it's airy sound (due to a larger soundstage) and the big step up with comfort (larger pads and lighter clamp).  Plus I find that to really enjoy the D2000 you have to crank up the volume a bit more to really let the recessed mids shine and the big bass to hit.  To me the D2000, gets me fatigue quicker than the esw9 with the heavier bass and more pronounce treble. I enjoy the esw9 more mainly because I can relax with them, listen to them in longer session plus I've been leaning away from bass and starting to appreciate mids more.  I'm hoping to get either the W1000X, He400, or the maddogs next.

They are really totally different headphones and it's hard to compare.  I enjoy both of them a lot. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #222 of 787
My ESW9A's that I've had for around six weeks now have really fallen into a special place in my headphone collection.  If I'm going portable but don't want to wear IEM's...they have been just the ticket.  While they are no where near as detailed and airy as I'm used to with JH-13's or (balanced) Grado RS-1's, they still have a captivating sound with their great mids, sufficient bass and soundstage and laid back organic sound.  I love the fullness of sound, which I have not seen replicated in another portable. 

It's hard to explain, but it's very easy to find your foot tapping with them, and I've found their comfort level to be spot on.  So far very happy with them, and they are a good step up from my Yuin PK-1's and KSC-35's that I used to use for the same purpose. 

If the bass was a touch tighter and the detail a touch more, these would compete with any portable headphone I've heard in any price range.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #223 of 787
Quote:
My ESW9A's that I've had for around six weeks now have really fallen into a special place in my headphone collection.  If I'm going portable but don't want to wear IEM's...they have been just the ticket.  While they are no where near as detailed and airy as I'm used to with JH-13's or (balanced) Grado RS-1's, they still have a captivating sound with their great mids, sufficient bass and soundstage and laid back organic sound.  I love the fullness of sound, which I have not seen replicated in another portable. 

It's hard to explain, but it's very easy to find your foot tapping with them, and I've found their comfort level to be spot on.  So far very happy with them, and they are a good step up from my Yuin PK-1's and KSC-35's that I used to use for the same purpose. 

If the bass was a touch tighter and the detail a touch more, these would compete with any portable headphone I've heard in any price range.

+ 1 They are special.

Feb 11, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #224 of 787
I love my ESW9A. I got them refurbished and I cannot put them down! I listen to every genre of music and I love the sound of these coming either from my computer or from my Samsung Galaxy S4g with Voodoo Sound and Neutron Player. Indeed, I have the ATH-M50 and the ES7 before this and first of all, the m50's had recessed mids and had more bass but not overpowering. It has the amazing amount of bass (that any bass head would enjoy) when you played the right song. Persay, you played a hip-hop song, the bass would sound fantastic. However, if you played some blues there would be no artificial bass. The es7 were good, nice bass, mids and highs but I returned them because they were too uncomfortable. The esw9a are just perfect! Perfect bass, mids, and highs!

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #225 of 787
hi guys. do you think that this esw9 is fake or real with it's 169 $ etiquette? (since i am seriously thinking of buying this beauty these days)
http://minimall1999.com/product_info.php/ath-esw9a-portable-wooden-headphone-p-486

It's really hard to say if it's real or fake as the picture is a generic one and also be cautious as there a a lot of fake ones out there and some looks very close to the real one. For me just go with a reliable source to buy them as they are pretty cheap nowadays compare to when they were first release 6-7 years ago. I find them to be a real bargain at what price they are selling these days, great for on the go listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back