Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Dec 14, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #196 of 787
So I got my headphones... but they're ESW9s not ESW9As... (it's an authorized dealer, so I know its legit).

In any case, I can confirm that these ESW9s are cherry, not paduak. Cherry is a very distinctive wood and you know right away that it is cherry and not paduak.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #198 of 787
How do these cans compare to the new AKG K167's?

I mainly listen to Metal (sludge, doom, death), Avant-Garde Jazz, and Prog Rock.  I'm making a switch from my Grado SR225's as they do not supply enough bass for my tastes and can be a bit thin and strident at times.  I use a Fiio E17 for an amp/dac.

Comfort?

Dec 31, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #199 of 787
I like these alot for every type of music.
These are slightly bass heavy headphones, they do however give some nice punch to metal
Listening to Opeth right now :)
Don't know how they compare with K167. Sorry about that

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #200 of 787
I just want to say, "man I love these headphones!"  I have the D2000 as my main when I want to do some serious head bopping listening and as for portable when I just want to whip something out to relax while casually surfing the web, these fit the bill.  Just pair these up with a hard case and you can take these anywhere while getting compliment on a unique looking headphone.
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #201 of 787
Quote:
I just want to say, "man I love these headphones!"  I have the D2000 as my main when I want to do some serious head bopping listening and as for portable when I just want to whip something out to relax while casually surfing the web, these fit the bill.  Just pair these up with a hard case and you can take these anywhere while getting compliment on a unique looking headphone.
cool.gif

At under $200. they are the best deal in town these days.....when i got mine at release they were well over $300. plus needed to be imported and tax could hit you too, and they were even worth that.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #202 of 787
I also bought them for over $200's
wink.gif

Jan 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #204 of 787
Do you realize you are in the esw9/a appreciation thread? So I might be bias
wink.gif

with that being said, I prefer the esw9 over the mdr-1r.  I only heard the mdr-1r briefly, so yeah take it as it is and nothing more.

I find the esw9 to sound more intimate while the mdr-1r sound a bit more dry next the esw9. comfort I say the mdr-1r are more comfortable and slightly bigger too, although the esw9 are pretty comfortable for on ear.  I can wear the esw9 for about 3 hrs before I can feel a little bit discomfort and I again only a little. The first few weeks the esw9 were uncomfortable for long session though. The esw9 also have a more elegant retro look with the wood while the mdr-1r looksf has a more elagant today look. 

I'm not going to say too much as I only briefly listen to the mdr-1r and also I'm not the best at describing things.  Oh I also feel they both aren't the type of headphone to toss around (esw9 with the wood and the MDR-1R feels fragile). If I remember correctly the MDR-1R might have removable cable which is nice also as I always worry about ripping off the esw9 cables by accident (they are thin). Also the esw9 only does okay as for as isolation goes, at night when I listen to them  I can still hear the TV on really low volume when I press pause on my music. I'm not sure how the MDR-1R does with isolation.

Also since you are a fan of Sony, I don't see the reason why you wouldnt want to stick with it as it will most likely satisfy you, unless you are worried about something with the MDR-1R.  I can say one thing I like about Sony is there fit and comfort. 

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #206 of 787
LOL! good choice now you are stuck with them, the wood, portability, and the sound of the esw9 is a awesome combo. enjoy! because I know  am.
L3000.gif

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #208 of 787
How do these sound compared to the vmoda m80 since they are both considered warm. I borrowed my friends m80s and while good I found them a bit too bassy.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #209 of 787
Quote:
How do these sound compared to the vmoda m80 since they are both considered warm. I borrowed my friends m80s and while good I found them a bit too bassy.

the m80 has that bit of a midbass hump while the esw9 doesnt have that at all

Quote:
guys, how does this compare to the new Sony MDR-1R? I'm torn between a woody and being a slight sony fanboy.

the the esw9 sounds thicker in the midrange specially vocals compared to 1r. both bass are somewhat loose. treble 1r has abit of more sparkle

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #210 of 787
Is it more or less detailed? And also do you know how it compares to the philips citiscape uptown since that's an option

Users who are viewing this thread

Back