Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #316 of 1,113
Quote:
Was its hard to change them?  How? 

It's not hard to get them off (once you've done it a couple of times, that is), but it's quite hard to put them on.

Anyway, if you're able to attend the SF Bay Area meet that's happening the Sunday after this one, then I can let you try on my pair. See if you'll like the ear pads?

I suspect that you'll like the Fiio E12 more, though. Dang, I'm now inclined to believe the ES10 really needs quite a bit of amping power to shine.

Feb 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #317 of 1,113
Just passed the 500 hour mark, boy huge difference. Excellent synergy with ibasso T5, improve bass, better soundstage, a drastic instrument separation. I will let this unit play back for another 500 hours, I am sure ibasso caps will improve even more.

Happy happy happy!

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #318 of 1,113
By the way, I just got my velour ear pads in today.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm talking about these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-FIT-ATH-Audio-Technica-ESW9-ES7-FC7-Headphones-/251222635742?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7e0934de

They're very comfortable, though not as comfortable as the lambskin pads.

By the way, I ultimately took the leather pads earlier off as they were quite uncomfortable.

If I had to rate: leather < velour < lambskin in terms of comfort.

But the biggest difference is sound.

Velour seems to attenuate low frequencies and have some sort of isolation leak, so treble and midrange gets a huge boost. Unfortunately, it also makes midrange sound weird on the ES10, and... I don't like it to be honest. It sounds like 800 and 1K frequencies got a humongous boost, and it made vocal sound nasal.

Leather sounds largely the same as lambskin, with some added bass thump, but it's just too uncomfortable for extended (2hr+) use.

Lambskin... is just perfect IMO. Sweet and lush mid with a hint of texture for details, mild-mannered bass, smooth and polite treble.

So I think best bet now is to go and pester Audio Technica to give you some discounted ESW9 or ESW11 ear pads.

Feb 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #322 of 1,113
Quote:
How does the sub bass of the es10s compare to that of the esw9s?

The 10,s have much stronger bass. Also a fuller, larger sound.

Has anyone put the esw11 replacement pads on the es10.  How hard is it, and describe please.   Do u need to dis assemble or is it adhesive?  Are they the exact same size, unlike the esw9 pads that are smaller?

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #323 of 1,113
Quote:
The 10,s have much stronger bass. Also a fuller, larger sound.

Has anyone put the esw11 replacement pads on the es10.  How hard is it, and describe please.   Do u need to dis assemble or is it adhesive?  Are they the exact same size, unlike the esw9 pads that are smaller?

I'm interested in this as well. I think the ESW11ltd pads are larger than the ESW9 pads, but I could be wrong. 

I also have the following questions:

1. Where can one acquire ESW11ltd replacement pads? 
2. How, and to what degree, do they change the sound/isolation? 

Feb 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #324 of 1,113
Quote:
How does the sub bass of the es10s compare to that of the esw9s?

If you have the right amp, the ES10 sounds like a more refined movie theater. That's how much bass it has.

Quote:
Wow, these look really good...but one scratch and it's all over~

Mine is all scratched up... but I think it adds to the character of the headphone. I'm hoping that in a few years, I'll be able to wear out the ear cups to this extent:

I'm interested in this as well. I think the ESW11ltd pads are larger than the ESW9 pads, but I could be wrong. 

I also have the following questions:

1. Where can one acquire ESW11ltd replacement pads? 
2. How, and to what degree, do they change the sound/isolation? 

1. Contact Audio Technica directly. They quoted me $70 for a pair of new replacement ear pads.

2. I can't comment specifically on the ESW11, but the ESW9 ear pads significantly improve comfort. I have worn my ES10 hiking through 4-5 miles without taking the headphones off or even noticing that they were on my head. Aside from that, it's a minor improvement to soundstage, but everything else remains about the same as far as I can tell. Maybe it's slightly smoother sounding, but I can't tell at this point if that's just me or if the ear pads really changed the midrange that way. I haven't swapped ear pads on my ES10 for months.

Feb 17, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #325 of 1,113
Nice track!

Here's my showcase for ES10 with ESW9 pads:

With the ES10, it sounds like you're surrounded by instruments, and they are all clearly distinct. And the soundstage is very expansive.
wow don't have these es10 but that clip was so nice :)

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #329 of 1,113
Quote:
quote.gif

Just passed the 500 hour mark, boy huge difference. Excellent synergy with ibasso T5, improve bass, better soundstage, a drastic instrument separation. I will let this unit play back for another 500 hours, I am sure ibasso caps will improve even more.

Happy happy happy!

Just curious, how many days did it take you to burn these in for 500 hour? or do you let them run at night with music

Feb 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #330 of 1,113
Quote:
Just curious, how many days did it take you to burn these in for 500 hour? or do you let them run at night with music

day and night, it was worth if for me as it allowed me to burn in the amp. I had the amp connected to external PSU since ipod battery had the stamina to keep up. I did not burn them in more than that, I wanted to enjoy them. But honestly I think 200 hours should do the job. I use bass heavy music and white/brown noises. I assumed using bass heavy music moves the driver more hence perhaps making it loss quicker? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back