Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #1,066 of 1,113
  I've yet to hear an Ultrasone but a harsh high end is what they are known for. The Pro 900s used to be a staple around here! It's a shame they seem to have fallen away... but maybe for the better 
I used to hear about them a lot but people always had weird impressions of their headphones, 

The Audeze Sine's were another popular closed back portable, I'd check into those 
but I think if your handy with modding, the ES10 might be a great choice! 

Corrected my last reply, I wasn't very clear... I auditioned the Ultrasone Pro 900 and two different pairs of ATH-ES10 which "was not the sound I was looking for and they were slightly uncomfortable".  Already tried the Sines on three separate occasions and their sound (imaging especially) didn't impress me and they too were uncomfortable.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #1,067 of 1,113
  Corrected my last reply, I wasn't very clear... I auditioned the Ultrasone Pro 900 and two different pairs of ATH-ES10 which "was not the sound I was looking for and they were slightly uncomfortable".  Already tried the Sines on three separate occasions and their sound (imaging especially) didn't impress me and they too were uncomfortable.

ahh the ES 10 was not the sound your looking for, well that's no fun

what didn't you like about them? 

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #1,068 of 1,113
  ahh the ES 10 was not the sound your looking for, well that's no fun

what didn't you like about them? 

I think I prefer the balanced neutral sound of the H6 and the ES10 was lacking the refined detail and imaging that I enjoy on the H6 as well. But most importantly the comfort was a major issue for me but like I said before I believe I have been spoiled by the H6s and my older HD600s.  The only other headphones I have found to be as or more comfortable than those two headphones would be the Ether C, DT770, HD598, and definitely the HD800.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #1,069 of 1,113
  I think I prefer the balanced neutral sound of the H6 and the ES10 was lacking the refined detail and imaging that I enjoy on the H6 as well. But most importantly the comfort was a major issue for me but like I said before I believe I have been spoiled by the H6s and my older HD600s.  The only other headphones I have found to be as or more comfortable than those two headphones would be the Ether C, DT770, HD598, and definitely the HD800.

I've not heard the B&O H6s to know what your reffering to, though you might lack the W1000X 
It's by NO means bass heavy, it's very balanced imo, and the mods only really clean up some of it's extra... romantic decay... that and they tighten up the bass

I know my pair have some serious changes to their Frequency response, so they don't sound like stock. That and I'm some one immune to comfort problems... though SOUND problems due to FIT... my gawd do they plague me

May 10, 2017 at 4:50 AM Post #1,070 of 1,113
Hi, guys!

Can somebody recommend me a good DAP for 200-250$ for my ES10? (I might pay more, if the recommended device is that good)
Things that are sort of important to me:
  • 200gb MicroSD support, not less
  • Does it sound good with E12?
  • I do not consider myself an audiophile or a seeker of perfect sound, since I listen to noise rock and that kind of stuff mostly, but I still want my music no to sound like a mess
  • Last.fm scrobbling would be awesome, but it is not vital
  • Battery life >12 hours would be nice
Here's the list of players I was thinking from, but maybe some of you might help me to expand it (or crop it) as well as give your opinions on sound, since some of these devices I can't try (especially N3 and M2s, and they seem to be top two candidates for me)
  • FiiO X1/X3/X5 (all IInd Gen)
  • Sony NW-A35
  • Cayin N3 (N5 maybe?)
  • Shanling M2s

I've asked a simillar question before, but I've decided to wait a little bit and I think now the time has come, since my iPod became almost 100% paralysed.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,071 of 1,113
Have you heard anything in portable closed-back that you think could beat your modded ES 10? Price no object.

@WoodyLuvr gonna dig this one up for you since it's on my mind!

Yes, the ZMF Eikon and Atticus hands down were a step up from the ES 10, however the Oppo PM3 was a nice side grade as was my W1000X, sadly the stock TH X00 wasn't too competitive with the ES 10

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #1,072 of 1,113
so I had my ES10 recabled after a few weeks of not using them, I am now finding it too forward, overpowering the lows and hearing some peak in the highs. Don't know if its due to recabling or just me hearing it differently on how you guys hear it.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #1,073 of 1,113
I am in the UK and would like to get a pair of ES10..........I tried to get a pair from Amazon......the first ones were on 'warehouse deal' which turned out to be a pair of ES9 woodys, I sent them back and another pair of ES10 appeared a few weeks later, which turned out to be the same ES9 woodys......this time they were £50 cheaper and I kept them as I liked the 'tubey' mids. My second attempt from Amazon resulted in the seller phoning me and offering me something else as he didn't have the ES10 and I got my money back.

I see lots for sale on Ebay, via Japan and from US via japan.......but I am a bit concerned about possible fakes. Are the ES10 still being made in Japan?..........and are there lots of fake ES10 about?

'Thank you very muchly' for any reponses from anyone who knows.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,074 of 1,113
I am in the UK and would like to get a pair of ES10..........I tried to get a pair from Amazon......the first ones were on 'warehouse deal' which turned out to be a pair of ES9 woodys, I sent them back and another pair of ES10 appeared a few weeks later, which turned out to be the same ES9 woodys......this time they were £50 cheaper and I kept them as I liked the 'tubey' mids. My second attempt from Amazon resulted in the seller phoning me and offering me something else as he didn't have the ES10 and I got my money back.

I see lots for sale on Ebay, via Japan and from US via japan.......but I am a bit concerned about possible fakes. Are the ES10 still being made in Japan?..........and are there lots of fake ES10 about?

'Thank you very muchly' for any reponses from anyone who knows.

I used to own a pair of fake ATH-ESW10, very difficult to tell they were fakes by examining them, but the sound was very uninvolving, I hardly ever listened to them.
I later got a pair of real ESW9, I use them all the time with my iPad.

Sep 9, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #1,075 of 1,113
Hi, guys!

Can somebody recommend me a good DAP for 200-250$ for my ES10? (I might pay more, if the recommended device is that good)
Things that are sort of important to me:
  • 200gb MicroSD support, not less
  • Does it sound good with E12?
  • I do not consider myself an audiophile or a seeker of perfect sound, since I listen to noise rock and that kind of stuff mostly, but I still want my music no to sound like a mess
  • Last.fm scrobbling would be awesome, but it is not vital
  • Battery life >12 hours would be nice
Here's the list of players I was thinking from, but maybe some of you might help me to expand it (or crop it) as well as give your opinions on sound, since some of these devices I can't try (especially N3 and M2s, and they seem to be top two candidates for me)
  • FiiO X1/X3/X5 (all IInd Gen)
  • Sony NW-A35
  • Cayin N3 (N5 maybe?)
  • Shanling M2s

I've asked a simillar question before, but I've decided to wait a little bit and I think now the time has come, since my iPod became almost 100% paralysed.

I like my 1st gen FiiO X5 with my ATH-ESW9, a great pairing!

Sep 9, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,076 of 1,113
I used to own a pair of fake ATH-ESW10, very difficult to tell they were fakes by examining them, but the sound was very uninvolving, I hardly ever listened to them.
I later got a pair of real ESW9, I use them all the time with my iPad.

Hi.....and thanks for your reply to my questions.......you have confirmed to me that I am quite right to be on my guard then, when it comes to fake ATH ES 10, especially since they can go for a decent price........but like you I love the ATH ESW9 that 'accidently' came into my possession, they are quite special and I will always keep them.

Thanks again!

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #1,077 of 1,113
I need to replace the pads on my pair. I was told that I can pick up some non AT pads on TaoBao. Has anyone tried those? Any other low cost alternatives? These are not my primary headphones so I want to keep the cost down to a minimum.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,078 of 1,113
Hi! Can anybody recommend fullsized closed analogue of ES10/ESW11? With same or better sound quality.
I like sound of ESW11 with silver dragon a lot (balanced and emphatic without fatigue) but looking for more comfort. Now I'm trying to get Fostex X00 Ebony.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #1,079 of 1,113
I just picked up a used pair locally for $80 AUD ($59 USD...what a steal!!) and these are by far the best on-ear headphones I have ever listened to. I own a pair of HD580s and DT880s and I'm not much of a fan of bassy headphones, however I do really appreciate it when it's executed well. The ES10 does just that and hits it home for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back